Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transcendence: Threat or Menace?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by muon View Post

    There's a penalty for new bonds, but it doesn't say anything about degrading existing ones. Indifference to humanity is the best case. Aeon Aexpansion has has examples of monstous Aberrants like Slaughtermane, formerly a hero.
    As I understand, the penality apply to any bound, including reinforce old ones, so, if any of the characters use part of the success, recover those success will require a test with difficulty increased.

    Indiference is the best case, the case where there was no psychological transformations, otherwise it will be worse.

    One thing on Aeon Aberrants, we have no idea which Aberrants in Aeon reached T10, none of them have the bizarre Total Transformations, I mean, they don’t have new transformations popping up all the time (and fading probably) and they are not totally monstruous in the way they think or operate, so they probably are around T6 or 7 in most cases.

    Comment


    • #17
      According to me transcendence should also offer some positive benefits to live up to its name, representing otherness should be done by adding something to a character instead of only hindering them, aside that the concept of transcendence is much better than that of taint in my opinion.

      Comment


      • #18
        Indeed the way you raised your transcendence is the positive side of it, I mean, you got at least a few extra XP or a bunch of good situations where you were a bit more overpowered.

        But I got your concern... if you think about Teragen, and get the Chrysalis effect, you will have a few advantages on the way you can learn and develop powers, not much but still...

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Starkiller View Post
          According to me transcendence should also offer some positive benefits to live up to its name, representing otherness should be done by adding something to a character instead of only hindering them, aside that the concept of transcendence is much better than that of taint in my opinion.
          I think that is achieved by it being tied to high Quantum. Standalone Transcendence doesn't provide a direct benefit, but most of your Transcendence will probably come from being over Q4, or having used it to buy up traits at a discount.


          Raksha are my fae-vorite.

          Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

          Comment


          • #20
            We presume Novas are the natural form of eruption for Exomorphs the Psiad for human quantum users, but what if that's not the case? Much like Psions have certain inbuilt goals for the Doyen we know the Nova age had an intent. What if Transcendence is a built in part of the "nova tech" that Mal has fashioned onto earth at the very least? That Mal's elitism and misantropy are entirely on display here... he setup a forced test and no one lives up to his ideals.

            Comment


            • #21
              We know that Novas and psiads are the spontaneous manifestations of Quantum and Psi, respectively, in that Superiors and Psions need direct technological assistance to activate. It's not a matter of natural vs. unnatural.

              Which doesn't exactly answer your suggestion about whether the Nova-era Event might have in some way have been “unnatural”, that is, tailored in some way to bring about a result that just releasing a bunch of Quantum wouldn't have done. I suspect that that's not the intent of the published material; but if it makes for an interesting game, go for it.


              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                We know that Novas and psiads are the spontaneous manifestations of Quantum and Psi, respectively, in that Superiors and Psions need direct technological assistance to activate. It's not a matter of natural vs. unnatural.

                Which doesn't exactly answer your suggestion about whether the Nova-era Event might have in some way have been “unnatural”, that is, tailored in some way to bring about a result that just releasing a bunch of Quantum wouldn't have done. I suspect that that's not the intent of the published material; but if it makes for an interesting game, go for it.

                Yes, but that presumes that Earth hasn't been "Novaformed" by Mal. Perhaps Superiors were the Natural function and the method that is used to activate them is Keeping them from being effected by Mal's having functionally turned the Earth into a Giant Nova chamber.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Well now, we know that Mal futzed around a bit to cause the Nova age, and there is text, although in Æon, that there were Novas predisposed to Corruption, and that when those predisposed trigger other Novas they also end up being predisposed, what if Mal's process of causing the eruptions introduced the levels of Transformation and Flux we see in your average Nova? Although we theorize some megalomania and inhuman beauty for Mal, maybe he isn't actually a Nova, but something else and doesn't actually suffer from Flux/Transformation.

                  Mal's failings being a result of regular run of the mill human psychological failings instead of super psychosis is interesting, although I think we do have it in the text that he has gone through Chrysalis.

                  Novas with all of that power but no drawbacks isn't really fun though. Although maybe a more happy medium could be found.


                  I'm actually interested in having weirder Novas myself, but something about the Opt in transformations for Momentum still doesn't quite satisfy it for me.

                  It could be that I just need more examples of creative uses of the Transformations we do have, creatively Restricted tagged powers, and Body Modifications.


                  Raksha are my fae-vorite.

                  Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I like your theory, my approach is very similar.

                    Much like Burano event in 2104 allowed the Psiads (and Psions) to develop Quantakinesis, N day may have turned Novas into Tier 3 (and 4), allowed them to develop some powers not available before, reach higher quantum and transcend further than before.

                    Novas that erupted before N-Day were weaker then they were after, once N-Day happened, they, as happened to Psiads on 2104, become as capable as the ones erupted after. It includes Mal, that maybe was unable to reach his full potential before.
                    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                      As I understand, the penality apply to any bound, including reinforce old ones, so, if any of the characters use part of the success, recover those success will require a test with difficulty increased.

                      Indiference is the best case, the case where there was no psychological transformations, otherwise it will be worse.

                      One thing on Aeon Aberrants, we have no idea which Aberrants in Aeon reached T10, none of them have the bizarre Total Transformations, I mean, they don’t have new transformations popping up all the time (and fading probably) and they are not totally monstruous in the way they think or operate, so they probably are around T6 or 7 in most cases.
                      It says forming bonds, as in the Intrigue section in the TC Core. Renewing bonds seems to be more roleplaying as opposed to more dice rolls.
                      Gouge seems to be a Total Transformation at least. If these examples aren't Total, it gives an idea how bad it could be. Cruel indifference would be more like Basilisk's greed than Doctor Manhattan.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by muon View Post

                        It says forming bonds, as in the Intrigue section in the TC Core. Renewing bonds seems to be more roleplaying as opposed to more dice rolls.
                        The bounds are spendable, you roll the dice after the role-play and you add the extra successes to the successes you can spend (effects according to the bound). You have to once in a while renew those successes by rolling again, otherwise you will spend all the successes and lose the bound.

                        Gouge seems to be a Total Transformation at least. If these examples aren't Total, it gives an idea how bad it could be. Cruel indifference would be more like Basilisk's greed than Doctor Manhattan.
                        For sure Manhatan is not T10, he is probably on T6-8, and he already lost basically all the bounds he used to have. It would be even worse for someone deeper in transcendence. The point is, Manhattan don't have any bound, as nobody else is transcendent, so his "player" would probably force him to roll more often to keep some bounds, but once you have more transcendent novas, it would be easier to them to group up, like happen on Teragen.

                        I am not familiar with Gouge or Basilisk to be honest, so can't point out.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                          The bounds are spendable, you roll the dice after the role-play and you add the extra successes to the successes you can spend (effects according to the bound). You have to once in a while renew those successes by rolling again, otherwise you will spend all the successes and lose the bound.
                          I know about the spending, but like I said, the text seems to imply that the pool is refreshed by roleplaying rather than rolling again.

                          For sure Manhatan is not T10, he is probably on T6-8, and he already lost basically all the bounds he used to have. It would be even worse for someone deeper in transcendence. The point is, Manhattan don't have any bound, as nobody else is transcendent, so his "player" would probably force him to roll more often to keep some bounds, but once you have more transcendent novas, it would be easier to them to group up, like happen on Teragen.
                          At Complete Transcendence, bonds with anyone are probably impossible.

                          I am not familiar with Gouge or Basilisk to be honest, so can't point out.
                          They're example Aberrants in Aeon Aexpansion.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X