Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which was your favorite of the original three games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which was your favorite of the original three games?

Exactly what it says on the tin: which of the three original trinity games was your favorite?

It was a tie between Aberrant and Adventure!.

Comment

Adventure for sure, but all 3 are on my top 10 RPG.

Comment

Aberrant. I never really got into Trinity because I didn't like psionics as a concept much back then (due to AD&D's psionicists and Jean Grey always fainting uselessly after using her powers in the cartoon both making a bad impression on young me) and wasn't a big fan of space sci-fi that wasn't fantastic space opera stuff like Star Wars. And I had very little knowledge of pulp back then and wasn't interested in playing what I figured was basically an Indiana Jones game. Later on, I got more interested in them for their impact on Aberrant, though.

Comment

Adventure! by far. Some of it was that it worked better a bit more on its own as a single book than the others, and some of it was where I was in gaming preferences. I had been playing a lot of games where the grimness of Aberrant and the space-opera of Trinity felt redundant, where the pulpy fun of Adventure! was something my gaming was lacking in.

Comment

Aberrant. Then came Adventure!. Then came what was then Trinity.

My love of Aberrant was both due to the power set of the system and the presence of Divis Mal. He was a gay man in a happy real relationship who had the power to not be a victim. It was awe inspiring to read him. I remember the first time I realized he was gay, I spent hours double checking to make sure I was reading it right. It was also one of the few games I ran that lasted a long time and had a lot of fun and was enjoyable.

My love for Adventure! was the mechanics of the powers they had. I loved the way they did things. It had all the advantages of the World of Darkness game system without the horror element that I wasn't (and still not) a super focused fan of.

Trinity was okay, but the fact that it basically said Aberrant was 'evil' made me hate it. hehe lol. Though it was slightly redeemed by the presence of Novas of Eden. And it was fully made cool by Aeon Trinity which is an organization that I like.

Comment

Aberrant. Trinity's mechanics annoyed me at the time, and we didn't have a copy of Adventure! until years after we stopped. And I didn't get my copy until a few months ago.

Comment

Adventure! I liked the setting best and I really liked the tragic elements (in particular the death of Annabelle Newfield and how it affected the Aeon Society). Also, Adventure! is the only one of the three I’ve actually played in.

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done... Sidney Carton’s last line before he goes to the guillotine to save Lucie

Comment

Aberrant by far, though I love a good pulp story. I never got into Trinity except in how it related to Aberrant. I did laugh at the idea of the Legions holding back the Aberrant tide considering the vast power gap in the games. The backstory for all 3 games was fascinating to me and still is. I’m running an Aberrant game at the moment hurtling toward the War. Now that Aeon is out I am setting up a game for that with a future crossover in mind, though I will need to convert my Aberrant game to 2nd edition which may be a daunting task since my players have several powers not easily represented in the new game.

Comment

Definitely Adventure!
                    Aberrant was kind of cool, and I didn't care at all for Trinity/Aeon (and still don't).

Comment

Aeon (the 22nd century setting) was my favorite. First, it was space, and I love space because you can do pretty much any damn thing you want with it (Oops, looks like you crash landed on a planet of knghts and wizards. Luckily if you go through an underground area and fight some monster, you might find what you need to fix your ship). Second, it was the future and as such unwritten. With Adventure and Aberrant the player's actions were in some way meaningless because Adventure had to lead to Aberrant and Aberrant has to lead to Aeon. Aeon can lead to any thing the players lead it to become. Finally in Aeon you could realistically mix in everything from the previous games. One of our campaigns had a Psiad (focused on Telepathy), a Venezuela Phenomenon Nova (Time Manipulation), two Psions (Doc and Legion), and a Superior focused on computers/electronics.

Comment

Conceptually Aberrant, in execution Adventure!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          YES! This. Its a perfect summation.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                            I agree to a point. My first contact with Aberrant was awesome, the flexibility and the power, but after a few runs I got disappointed with the power level, I mean, it’s too much too fast. Of course it’s the theme of the game, and it’s all about balancing your power and humanity, but still too much power. It’s personal, I love the game, but the power level make hard to build stories that don’t goes around power. The only reason I played Aberrant more than just a few times was because there was not Adventure, at least to my knowledge.

Adventure has a awesome execution and theme, It was what I was looking for when I was thinking about ironical super heroes (Stalwarts and Mesmerists at least), and the Daredevils were the ones that became my favourites (we played more than a few games of pulp heroes limited to Daredevils).

2e Aberrant have tha DarkStars, and that makes me feel more in tune to my expectations. Not that before you couldn’t, but even a 10Nova Points novas was virtually bullet proof, now you can play a more street level game, as I see at least.

Comment

Aberrant was my favorite, Adventure! was a very close second and sometimes in the lead. Trinity (Aeon) was always third, although the setting always had potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X