TC Aeon like Mass Effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Aeon like Mass Effect?

I often read that Trinity Aeon setting is a lot like Mass Effect video games series. But how deep are those similarities? How much of ME can be recreated in Aeon? Your thoughts and comments.
    Here are opening questions from me – Aeon lore new dweller…
    1. Can I play aliens in Aeon? In ME more than half of crew is aliens.
    2. Can I play real Tech characters in Aeon? I assume that there are tech-psions for this. Whole ME Biotics are easily to be played as various Psions.
    3. I assume that characters like Commander Shepard from N7 would be Legion in Aeon?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    I often read that Trinity Aeon setting is a lot like Mass Effect video games series. But how deep are those similarities? How much of ME can be recreated in Aeon? Your thoughts and comments.
    Here are opening questions from me – Aeon lore new dweller…
    1. Can I play aliens in Aeon? In ME more than half of crew is aliens.
    2. Can I play real Tech characters in Aeon? I assume that there are tech-psions for this. Whole ME Biotics are easily to be played as various Psions.
    3. I assume that characters like Commander Shepard from N7 would be Legion in Aeon?

Mass Effect and similar games would be a great intro to the Storypath system. You could even shoehorn in organizations like Aeon if you want, though I think that for full immersion you might want to have ME organizations instead.

I've been thinking on aliens for the Trinity Continuum. Overall I think they would work best as an Origin. As follows:

KROGAN (Origin)

The krogan are a species of large reptilian bipeds native to the planet Tuchanka, a world known for its harsh environments, scarce resources, and overabundance of vicious predators. The krogan managed to not only survive on their unforgiving homeworld, but actually thrived in the extreme conditions. Unfortunately, as krogan society became more technologically advanced, so did their weaponry. The end result is that they destroyed their homeworld in a nuclear war that reduced their race into primitive warring tribes.
    Krogan typically stand over 7 feet. Heavy creatures, krogan have been known to weigh at least 150 kilos, upwards of nearly 200 kilos for above-average specimens. Younger krogan have yellow or green markings on their hides. These markings darken to brown or tan over time, showing their age. Younger krogan tend to have looser plates on their head with soft spots in between. When they grow older the plates grow together to form one whole. Their large shoulder humps store fluids and nutrients, enabling them to survive extended periods without food or water. In particular they require very little water intake; a 55-gallon tank system can sustain an entire colony of krogan for over 10 years.
    Example Connections: krogan relative, clan champion, boxing coach, survivalist, mercenary
    Origin Skills: Close Combat, Enigmas, Subterfuge, Survival
    Edges: Endurance (•••), Hardy (• to •••), Keen Sight (•), Superior Strength (••), Tough Cookie (••)
    Special: Brutish (bonus), Predator
    • Brutish: Although you are the size of an bulky human, you are treated as a Scale 2 being.
    • Predator: You gain the Unnatural Behavior drawback (hunt prey, Antagonist drawback). You can resist the urge to hunt for one Scene on a successful Resolve roll.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

On whether you can play ME using Trinity rules the simple answer is YES. It is yes because Trinity is broadly speaking open ended in a pulp, superhero, scifi and space opera sort of way and that is exactly what ME is. Obviously some alterations to the Trinity setting would need to be made, but in general not much would have to change in the rules.

One thing that might have to change mechanics wise is the powers of psions/psiads. That said I think an easy way to go about it is to use the psiad rules for biotics because there are times in ME (including in Andromeda) where we see some biotic specalists do some really insane and crazy things with their powers.

On alien characters well just like how in ME there are aliens but the player character in all four games are human in Trinity there are aliens but as of right now all player characters are human. That said I really think that given an expansion we will see potential rules for alien characters. Which might be done through the use of slight attribute bonuses or free merit dots or something like that. Or, as MythAdvocate says above me, as an Origin. Which is totally a fun way to do it.

On tech characters I would say play something like a smart Talent or a smart Psiad and put various points into the technology skills. Gain access to super-science, advanced or inspired tech and you can do stuff that is out the normal. If you are a Talent then I say pick Gifts that boost momentary capabilities in a knoweldge, science, and technology way.

On the last question it depends on what you are really going for. But I could totally see putting the normal path Merits into a universal pool that anyone can take based on related backstory.

One thing I would do is to make sure everyone is at least a Talent, if not a Superior or a Psiad. I wouldn't go Nova though, mostly as that sort of blatent superhero sort of power source doesn't really seem to exist in the setting among humanity and the races of the Citadel. That said I could see using the Aberrant rules from Aeon to represent monsters and Indoctrinated beings from the Reapers.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

Mass Effect and similar games would be a great intro to the Storypath system. You could even shoehorn in organizations like Aeon if you want, though I think that for full immersion you might want to have ME organizations instead.

I've been thinking on aliens for the Trinity Continuum. Overall I think they would work best as an Origin.
        I'd disagree on building species as Origin Paths... that's not really how that's supposed to work, at least in my opinion.
        If I may offer another option?

The Character Creation as IS is working from the Point of View of a Human.
        For instance, that's probably only applying for either a different Template (Step Five) or some different limits, which would have to be differently covered.
        In case of the Quin for instance, they are already best covered as a seperate Template and their entirely own thing.
        Totally playable.

I am currently running Stargate campaign... currently without any Jaffa or Goa'uld players, but I do keep thinking on how to work them in.
        Overall working them in as an Origin just doesn't work for me.
        If it works for you, more power to you, though.

Comment

I don't care about playing a Mass Effect creature, but I would like rules for playing a Qin or a Chromatic as a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
            I don't care about playing a Mass Effect creature, but I would like rules for playing a Qin or a Chromatic as a PC.
            The Quin:
            Create a Quin like a human, but differ by Step 4, the Attributes:
            Normally you'd have 6/4/2 to throw around for the attributes, among the 3 different categories.
            A Quin is a slug like creature, that's rather physically unimposing... so lock in the weakest category for Physical (there goes the 2).
            The remaining 6/4 split is up for grabs between Social and Mental.
            There you go.

Apply Step 5: Quin Template
            Start with Psi 2, Psi is limited to 4
            Aptitude: Telepathy
            Assign your 3 Mode Dots (all Quin have at LEAST ONE point in Mindshare) as a predominantly telepathic species
            Add one attribute dot in the preferred approach, no option to exchange it for another psi point.
            Sprinkle around extra XP if given

Since you are a player character you are among the Tier II Quin, so you are able to learn up to four dots in each Telepathy Mode,
            increase your Psi to 4, learn up to two dots in any Biokinesis Modes, and one dot in any Clairsentience Mode and in the
            Telekinesis Psychokinesis Mode.

Qin also naturally possess the vision enhancement augmentation, the Ambidextrous, Keen Sense (smell), and Trained Memory Edges.
            Qin are Size Scale 0 creature and have only the Bruised and Maimed Health Levels.
            Strength is limited to 1, Dexterity is limited to 2 and Stamina is limited to 3.
            They move double their speed in water, and Dexterity value is doubled in water.

Unless something official comes out, that's how I would use them.
            They start with a host of nice advantages, especially considering that they are using their biosuits (doubly so if they have a Infiltrator suit going for them),
            but the limits of their base form are rated against humans and those aren't going away.
            So yeah, in a fight against a human they'd suck, most of the time unless they have a Biosuit, lash out with powers, do both or they fight in water where DO have a advantage.
            There's a reason why they have quinshuied Quin after all and that's to tell the wildlife to leave them alone.
            Having humans around must freak them out on several levels, ESPECIALLY psions.
            It shows them that they aren't the top dogs anymore in some areas.
            On the other hand trade and lots of opportunities... so there's that to.

I have them start with ONE less point in psi modes than Order Psions, the reasoning is that the Quin lack the prometheus chambers, which offers an additional boost.
            Also, I reckon they get enough boosts.
            If you feel this is not warranted, just add another point and there you go.

A spy campaign in infiltrator suits would be bonkers with these guys... especially if they would be found, would be disavowed and all kinds of shenanigans would ensue.

And then there's the Chromatics:

The Chromatics
            Apply Step 5: Chromatic Template
            Start with Psi 3, Psi is initially limited to 4
            Aptitude: Electrokinesis
            Assign your 3 Mode Dots (all Chromatics have AT LEAST TWO points in Photokinesis) as a species that communicates primaririly through light.
            No extra attribute point, it's already gone to the third Psi point
            Sprinkle around extra XP if given

You start as a Tier II Character which means you can have:
            5 dots of Photokinesis, up to 3 dots of Thermokinesis and 2 dots of Electromanipulation

Unlike the Quin though, the Chromatics have to potential to become more powerful.
            For that though they have to meet some requirements:
            Their Psi HAS to be 4 and they must have their psionic abilities honed to the maximum.
            They then can undergo something akin to a spiritual quest or enter the service of a priest or become the champion of a powerful priest.
            The accounts vary here.
            When this is done, the Chromatic is something else, something "more" in the eyes of his brethren.

A Psion that now is of Tier III, capable of learning up to 6 dots in Photokinesis, and up to
            4 dots in both Thermokinesis and Electromanipulation

Oh... and all Chromatics have Thermal Sensing and Natural Photokinesis (Page 343, Trinity - Aeon)... which means they have a LOT of firepower to go around.
            Even with low powered psions of theirs hanging around.
            The same reasoning as with the Quin applies to the Chromatics, with the whole one point less Mode dot to throw around for them.

So to reiterate:
            Unless something official comes out, that's how I would use both of them.
            It's rather easy to just plug both of them in and just start playing.
            Anyone seeing any problems or something eyecatchingly wrong?

The Quin are also a damn good test run for the Goa'uld in my Stargate home game (yupp, using Trinity for that), because if they work out, the snakeheads work out too. Even easier admittedly.

Comment

Qin are scale 0 creatures on Physical, that’s the description they gave us in the book. Basically you can be a particular Strong, fast and resistant slug, but you are still a slug, and so get a scale bellow humans on this subject. The rest of your description is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                Qin are scale 0 creatures on Physical, that’s the description they gave us in the book. Basically you can be a particular Strong, fast and resistant slug, but you are still a slug, and so get a scale bellow humans on this subject. The rest of your description is great.
                Derp-a-derp... forgot the scale.
                Yupp, so yeah normal attributes it is, hand them Scale 0 and there's the Quin.
                It also means that the restriction on handing the lowest attribute category to physical could be thrown out. But that's for taste.
                I'd still give them at least +2 or +3 Enhancement in water on most things dexterity related and they are getting the double speed bonus in water anyway.

The whole scale thing is sometimes still running away from me and I try to adjust Attributes instead when I built a species instead,
                like I did in oWod/cWod and nWod or some other games. Scale does work more elegantly overall I have to say.

So, thanks for catching that, I'll adjust my notes accordingly.
                Have an awesome day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhurano View Post

Derp-a-derp... forgot the scale.
                  Yupp, so yeah normal attributes it is, hand them Scale 0 and there's the Quin.
                  It also means that the restriction on handing the lowest attribute category to physical could be thrown out. But that's for taste.
                  I'd still give them at least +2 or +3 Enhancement in water on most things dexterity related and they are getting the double speed bonus in water anyway.

The whole scale thing is sometimes still running away from me and I try to adjust Attributes instead when I built a species instead,
                  like I did in oWod/cWod and nWod or some other games. Scale does work more elegantly overall I have to say.

So, thanks for catching that, I'll adjust my notes accordingly.
                  Have an awesome day.

Just kind of looking at the Qin, I'd say that any Qin outside a body suit is Scale 0 fall all physical tasks and has 1 Dot in any physical Attributes and also automatically fails any physical task requiring hands/limbs/etc. Figure any Qin needs to be built with their bodysuit figured in as part of their Attributes. So, a Warrior distributes 6 dots in physical, etc. The Qin marks off injuries in terms of it's bodysuit and only marks them against itself at the second Bruised box and the Maimed box.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post

Just kind of looking at the Qin, I'd say that any Qin outside a body suit is Scale 0 fall all physical tasks and has 1 Dot in any physical Attributes and also automatically fails any physical task requiring hands/limbs/etc. Figure any Qin needs to be built with their bodysuit figured in as part of their Attributes. So, a Warrior distributes 6 dots in physical, etc. The Qin marks off injuries in terms of it's bodysuit and only marks them against itself at the second Bruised box and the Maimed box.
                    As Mateus pointed out, Scale takes care of equalizing creatures by doling out Enhancements for the one who's bigger in this case.
                    So nope, lessening there Attributes to 1 outside a Biosuit should not be in the cards. If you want to do that? More power to you.
                    The whole fails physical tasks and all that? That's more of a common sense thing what's possible for them and even there the Quin have a leg up... to say a Goa'uld, IIRC.
                    Just because they do have some small tentacles around their face. Would have to check, but I think that's the case and the art shows it to I think.
                    But yeah, they are probably not going to do all that much physically out of a biosuit... their weak telekinesis might help them out here and there or supplement them, though.

And the wole issue with the Bodysuit?
                    That's a biomechanical Mecha.
                    Done, because it's nothing else in essence.
                    But here's the catch.
                    Unless the Quin in question doesn't have the pull, skill or resources he's only going to get rather standard models,
                    which means they have a certain spread of physical attributes that can't be changed.
                    Want something better? Break out Edges or Super-Science I guess... a'la Wealth/Artifact and so on.
                    A Biosuit with all physical Attributes on 6 and some extra Health boxes would certainly be sought after by ANY Quin.
                    A physically maxed out Infiltrator suit would look funny though. Even the Quin would experience some trouble in throwing one together that stays on the side of "believable".
                    Guess that would come with a good story... at least.

Again, my take on it.
                    The Quin in question would still need his own physical attributes, just in case he get's caught with his Biosuit down, get's poisoned,
                    while taking a swim or whathaveyou. And sure, for things he would use his Biosuit, which would mean that the Player of a Quin might
                    effectively save some Experience Points... but if that's a problem for you? Throw the other guys and gals some extra points or hand out some extra skill points or some such for them.
                    Or even better, all of them. I don't see the problem all that much, since it's a novel concept that's played for fun and not for power anyway... probably.

Have a awesome day.

Comment

Working...
                    X