X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graylion
    started a topic Storypath Weapons & Weapon Tags [Modified]

Storypath Weapons & Weapon Tags [Modified]

As I continue my quest to convert Vampire the Requiem, Chronicles of Darkness, an eventually Exalted 3E to the Storypath system the current major focus has been Weapons and Weapon Tags. I find the Storypath system really good and really close to what I need.

Weapon Tags (Link)
    I have taken all of the Weapons Tags from Scion, Dystopia and Trinity Contiuum Core and compiled them.
    I have added in a small amount of tags from Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition and Exalted 3rd Edition
    Then I hit them with a forge hammer to get the to fit together.
    Most bits made it, some bits fell off or changed, such is crafting.

Melee Weapons List (Link)
    Please note this article focuses on at current melee weapons in a fantasy or dark ages setting as this is my current campaign.
    I do not have a lot of exotic weapons yet, elven thinblades or dwarvish waraxes.
    Next I will layout the ranged weapons
    Than modern and later.

One Dagger (Link)
    One of the beauties of the weapons tags is you can design a dagger many different ways
    This is really cool, say goodbye to the standard D&D Dagger forever

What feedback I encourage
    Positive feedback that encourages a better design.
    Examples or changes
    Missing weapons or tags
    Grammer or typo errors

What I am not looking for
    This project is dumb
    This project won't work
    Why waste the time
    If its not your cup of tea change the channel.

Best regards

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    On speed, you can think on multiple actions, like gaining an extra enhancement when doing Mixed actions.
    On Accuracy, you can think on a weapon that reduce the defence by 1, to a minimum of 1.

My opinion on size is, it can be deduced by the other tags, a Heavy weapon, a two handed, and a few other tags are example of large weapons. You don’t really need a tag for that as there are others to grant that effect (I am a bit against a tag that grants other tags, but it’s personal). For example, a large War Hammer is smaller than a great sword, but both can be large weapons as both require 2 hands, a war hammer is Heavy while a great sword is brutal.
    Some great ideas I like those very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by muon View Post
    It looks like you have the Grappling tag switched with the Grapple tag in the melee weapons list. Shouldn't the fighting chain have the Grappling tag?
    Hey thanks for the feedback

Grappling is a weapon that can grapple, whip, chain, flail,

Grapple is a weapon that can be used in a grapple, small compact

I think I flip flopped the flubbers.
    And yes I am missing a few tags I need to add them in.

I've started on Ranged Weapons an Armor next.

Best regards

Leave a comment:

• muon
    replied
    It looks like you have the Grappling tag switched with the Grapple tag in the melee weapons list. Shouldn't the fighting chain have the Grappling tag?

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    On speed, you can think on multiple actions, like gaining an extra enhancement when doing Mixed actions.
    On Accuracy, you can think on a weapon that reduce the defence by 1, to a minimum of 1.

My opinion on size is, it can be deduced by the other tags, a Heavy weapon, a two handed, and a few other tags are example of large weapons. You don’t really need a tag for that as there are others to grant that effect (I am a bit against a tag that grants other tags, but it’s personal). For example, a large War Hammer is smaller than a great sword, but both can be large weapons as both require 2 hands, a war hammer is Heavy while a great sword is brutal.

Leave a comment:

• Zeea
    replied
    I do like the accuracy/damage thing from Exalted 3e. I'm trying to figure out a way to do that in Trinity Core, but I can't really come up with anything worth using since 99% of situations will have them turn out to be the same thing. Maybe bringing back the concept of speed and letting characters get an Enhancement to initiative if they use a small weapon? Like, when they're going to act, they can temporarily move an initiative slot up by one point if they declare they'll be using a small weapon? I dunno.

Overall, I think your idea there sounds great and I don't have a lot to add. I would probably not add an enhancement based on size where larger weapons are objectively better for enhancement if I'm going for Exalted style, since small weapons are supposed to be good but different. I'd probably go with something like "Large weapons automatically get the Unconcealable and Brutal tags" or something like that. But I don't know how to distinguish Small and Medium weapons like that.

Anyway, it's really cool stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeea View Post
    I forgot my next idea was to suspend the use of Quality in its current form.

Move the enhancement bonus of 1e to the weapon damage, which removes 1 tag from the line of tags.

Next add enhancement based on size (S = +0e, M = +1e, and L = +2e)

The thing I miss about Exalted is small weapons add to accuracy and large weapon have higher damage. I love the enhancement system but that lumps everything together.

Finally I would use quality for special items, mitral, harder steel, magic or science enhancements and such to fill in any enhancement bonuses that could push mundane above 3e max 5e.

I really like eliminating tags on weapons lines.

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeea View Post
    Wow, this looks really awesome. Not much feedback, except maybe to ask why Small/Medium/Large have numbers next to them (0, 1, 2). Do those do anything?

Actually, I'd also ask why Versatile costs 2 points for a conditional +1 Enhancement (only to damage) when Quality would only cost 1 point for a +1 Enhancement to everything. I'd probably reduce the cost to 1.

I'd also say Incendiary makes sense for some Exalted weapons (firewands, but also just burning oil) and Spread would be good for those "bursts of throwing weapons" attacks.
    I was going from memory on the Chronicles of Darkness Sizes. I also plan on those being modifiers for used in tight situations like grapple, narrow tunnels, etc. But I need to lable it better.

All weapons start as a Quality 1 weapon for their default or base, so I'm trying to make anything that adds enhancement, or defense a 2 point cost, but that was my initial thinking. The other side of my brain says make it easy every positive tag is 1 point. I wanted to finish the weapons list and waffle on it a bit also while getting feedback like this.

I agree a lot of those and more in the Aeon book would be useful for magic, powers, and such. I started the conversion with Vampire the Requiem which is what the players are, Vampires. The Mage and Exalted will take a moment. I also want to see what framework I can take from Psion and Aberrant for those as well.

The hardest part that doesn't fit well is Humanity and Detachment as well as anything that had a Willpower cost like Theban Sorcery. Momentum is similiar but not exact.

Thank you for the feedback

Best regards

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    Thanks for the great work. I think it was missing some thing like this, and I think OPP should have made a single rule for working the basic tags (ranged for example is different in Aberrant for powers, anyway, different games and all).

i will go thru some tags I made for my Wuxia attacks, and bring it to you, if you like you can take it.
    Ya I would love to look at any tags you send my way.

Leave a comment:

• Zeea
    replied
    Wow, this looks really awesome. Not much feedback, except maybe to ask why Small/Medium/Large have numbers next to them (0, 1, 2). Do those do anything?

Actually, I'd also ask why Versatile costs 2 points for a conditional +1 Enhancement (only to damage) when Quality would only cost 1 point for a +1 Enhancement to everything. I'd probably reduce the cost to 1.

I'd also say Incendiary makes sense for some Exalted weapons (firewands, but also just burning oil) and Spread would be good for those "bursts of throwing weapons" attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Thanks for the great work. I think it was missing some thing like this, and I think OPP should have made a single rule for working the basic tags (ranged for example is different in Aberrant for powers, anyway, different games and all).

i will go thru some tags I made for my Wuxia attacks, and bring it to you, if you like you can take it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X