The Limits of Flux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I feel like you're making reference to something that I'm missing.
    Hehe. Yeah I am.

Its Myst, Riven, Uru and the D'ni by Cyan Works. In the game an ancient race of man discovered the Art of Writing Ages which basically lets them create worlds that can be visited from the Void that lies between. Its one of those things that I very much see the Trinity Continuum rules being perfect for, especially Talents but also potentially Superiors.

Comment

I am also assuming there could be NonTalent Paramorphs like how Psiads, Psions and Mesmerists seem to be slightly separate things. And Superiors and Novas definately are. So Tier Three Paramorphs don't have be transcendent Talents. Or there could be a whole line of artifical tier 2s...

Comment

I'm sure there can be some variation at higher Tiers, probably varying from era to era. For instance, I could see mage-like paramorphs in an era that doesn't have any psis in it. For the most part, though, I've been thinking of “different kinds of paramorphs” in terms of the Luck/Skill/Intention split established in TC; and I've been approaching it from the angle that all three are available to all paramorphs: if there are different types, they're distinguished in terms of which areas they find easier, not which areas are available.

My own attention has mainly been focused on Esoteric Techniques (the Skill-based side of things) because it's both highly versatile and very distinct: the Luck-based side of things is akin to Psi Aptitudes or Quantum Powers in their feel, while the Intention-based side of things overlaps heavily with Superiors and “Dark Star” Novas (see my earlier post about Wonder Woman as a paramorph, who I figure would be heavy on the Intention-based side of things along with some Esoteric Techniques like being able to defend against bullets, and having a few paramorph-crafted gadgets like her Lasso of Truth and the healing Purple Ray she had access to back on Paradise Island). But yeah; you could easily have a higher-tier paramorph who focuses exclusively on the Luck-based stuff (Hexes?) and/or the Intention-based stuff (Empowerments?) and who doesn't have a single Esoteric Technique.

Comment

Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman wrote a fantasy series titled "The Death Gate Cycle" that dealt with two groups of people with probability bending powers on the scale of Marvel's Scarlet Witch. Some of that stuff may be relevant. I especially liked the way one character got around the series' 'don't raise the dead' prohibition by putting a guy into a sort of Schrodinger's Cat state where he couldn't be killed, but couldn't kill anyone else either.

Comment

So with access to Mummy the Curse 2e and its whole non-linear nature of Arisen existence I totally could see Max Mercer and such being in a situation very much like the Arisen - just with a bit less 'curse'. Thinking about it the whole idea for high tier Talents of a particular form is that they can appear backwards and forwards and sideways in time - appearing when needed before dissapearing again after having helped or completed a goal.

To be honest at some point in the future I will probably take certain idea sections from Mummy the Curse, like chapter 7 with its whole descent adventure seeds, and apply it to Trinity rules and setting. At this time I would use either Superiors or Talents, though other Inspired types might also be permissible depending on what we get from them.

Comment

That's not a bad connection to make. I wouldn't say that those are the limits of Flux, though; if anything, being “unstuck in time” where you live for a few decades in one era before being uprooted and deposited in another era by something beyond your control strikes me as a valid first step for the time travel capabilities of paramorphs. There ought to come a point where you can control when you jump, and at least have some say as to what your destination will be.

Comment

I just started watching the 3rd season of Man in the High Castle, and they introduce people able to travel between realities. No time travel, however. So, I'd probably peg them as either Tier 2 with a powerful Gift or just barely Tier 3.

Comment

Working...
                X