Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the balance of regeneration vs dense flesh or hard armor

I've be en thinking about these three mega edges:

Each level of dense flesh gives an injury level and requires an equal amount of mega-stamina. This gives us an injury level for 24 xp. (Not counting the quantum requirement of a high level mega-stamina).

Hard armor gives one, two or three injury boxes that heal at the end of the scene for 12, 36 and 60 xp respectively. This must be tied to a power o the durability mega edge, for a minimum additional cost of 12 xp. I find that Hard armor is a bit better, but they are more or less balanced.

But, when we look at regeneration...
    If we are in a balanced combat, (2 combatants on the same scale) you can only receive 2 injuries each round (Inflict damage and critical hit).
    So, let's supose ones situation.
    If have regeneration, 2 levels of the associated mega attribute and the endurance edge (45 xp), and we start a combat without wounds. (Having regeneration this will always be the case).

In this situation you will suffer no more than 2 bruised levels per round. That you can heal for a mere 2 quantum points.
    Take into account also that, even if you take a maimed injury, you can also keep healing the bruised levels to have injury boxes available.
    So, if you don't heal more than 2 injuries each round, you will never need to spend more than 2 quantum points. After combat you can take care of more serious injuries.

This would give, even the lowest level nova 7 rounds of continuous healing and the equivalent of 15 additional injury boxes.
    Also,even if you don't have endurance, or if you suffer more than two levels of damage.
    You can always regenerate the bruised injury box, can suffer every round a wound and heal it for just one quantum point.

I know that, when you are in combat with a superior foe, the regeneration loses some eficiency, because you can take more than two injuries per turn.
    However I feel that this mega edge is seriously unbalanced.

Even if you want to build a tough guy with several levels of dense flesh. It will always be worth to have one level less of dense flesh in exchange for regeneration.
    For me, this means that regeneration should be changed.

Whan do you think?
    Any developers have a counter argument?
    Last edited by Vjornin; 12-05-2019, 05:18 AM. Reason: Typos and formatting

pointing some details for each of the 3 powers.

Regeneration costs quantum points and that is limited, of course on a one on one fight Regeneration is better, that’s what you noticed. But if you regem 2 points per round for 7 rounds you spent at least 14 quantum, almost all the quantum points of a Q2 Nova.

I honestly think the best Armor tag is soft armor, it just makes you harder to hit, period. If you have high soft armor, you avoid being hit completely more often, what is better for fighting multiple adversaries. Armor also gives you scale, creating a gap that may be impossible for the attacker to cross, Perfect for fighting an entire army of baselines. Hard Armor is good if you fight often against weak adversaries, because it recovers with no cost after each scene.

Dense flesh is more a buffer than anything else, and I see it as the weaker of them, good to combine with the other 2, but weak on itself. It’s also the one that require less effort to get, more Dark Star than the other 2.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Regeneration is incredibly good in every supers game I've seen it in, but especially in M&M and Aberrant 2e where it heals wounds as fast as a single character can inflict them. I'd definitely say 14 QP for seven rounds of near invulnerability in a one-on-one fight is way better than hard armor or soft armor. I've never seen a fight go that long, anyway. Soft armor (not talking about Scale, but the difference between Soft Armor 1 and Soft Armor 3) is probably the second best, followed by extra health levels.

This is assuming matched Scale, though! You need both Regeneration and Durability/Quantum Field. If you've got Regeneration but don't have any Durability Scale, your opponent is not only having an easy time dealing hits and critical hits, but is also getting a massive boost to injury levels inflicted that will outpace your Regeneration because each point of Scale different gives a free Inflict Injury.

Comment

I agree with most of your arguments. Soft armor is great, and difference in scale changes everything.

The main issue of regeneration, is the quantum cost. It is true that hard armor recovers after the scene. But, if you can rest, after the scene you recover half your quantum. So, the costs of regeneration also recover quickly.

Usually, a character needs days or weeks to recover from injuries. With regeneration this is done in rounds. For just 24 xp (the mega attribute and the mega edge).
        I find that this is too cheap.

Comment

NB: With Mega-Stamina and/or Mega-Resolve and the Mind over body M-Edge, healing time is cut down pretty quickly even w/o Regeneration.

Comment

It is a bit cheap for sure. I would break the connection to MAtt and make it Dependent on the MEdge dots (MEdge dots could not be higher than the higher of MSta or MComp). But that’s my opinion.

Honestly, I used to don’t care about Regeneration in 1e due to the QP cost. Spending quantum all the time used to be annoying, even more when dealing with minor issues. And the quantum regeneration was very slow. On 2e it’s a bit trickier, as QP are available almost all the time, so maybe it’s a bit more balanced.

Also Regeneration usually have a weak spot (usually a kind of attack) that don’t recover that fast.
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
              NB: With Mega-Stamina and/or Mega-Resolve and the Mind over body M-Edge, healing time is cut down pretty quickly even w/o Regeneration.
              That it's true. However it costs the same as regeneration. But it's nice because it does more things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                It is a bit cheap for sure. I would break the connection to MAtt and make it Dependent on the MEdge dots (MEdge dots could not be higher than the higher of MSta or MComp). But that’s my opinion.
                I like this idea. I was thinking about something similar, but changing the healing cycle.

The regeneration would work the same way. But, instead of beign a reflexive action, this would depend on the Mega edge value:

O - You can regenerate after a full night of rest.
                OO - You can regenerate after a 10 minute rest.
                OOO - You can regenerate each turn as an ordinary action. If you want to do a mixed action, you must assign to reneneration one success per point of quantum used.
                OOOO - Regenerate as areflexive action whenever you gain focus.
                OOOOO - You can also regenerate the taken out status por a cost of 5 quantum.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                Also Regeneration usually have a weak spot (usually a kind of attack) that don’t recover that fast.
                I like this, it could be like a negative armor tag, reducing the cost of the mega edge.
                Common damage sources like fire, sonic or piercing:-2
                Rare damage sources like silver, radiation or cold iron: -1

What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                X