Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHALLENGE! Build the Hulk in Aberrant 1st Edition & 2nd (Beta) Edition!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHALLENGE! Build the Hulk in Aberrant 1st Edition & 2nd (Beta) Edition!!!

I am curious how the two additions differ in bringing PC concepts to life. I would like to see how others can use Marvel's Incredible Hulk as a base 'concept' to show the PC creation system's in action.

Quick question before even try, but, how much experience is allowed?

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

One issue with the hulk in 2E is that the easiest way to model him is to take a bunch of transcendents given that some of the high level taints are pretty much what makes the Hulk (the rage trigger), but there's no way, IMO to emulate what happened in the MCU where banner got in touch with his inner hulk and got control, so you'd need a house rule to allow for that.

Comment

For 2E, I'd probably go with Transformation 5, which requires Quantum 4. Give the power a 1-point tag to drop Dr. Banner's Intellect, Presence, and Manipulation to 1, while raising his Might and Stamina to 5. Give him a -1 tag to make the change based on getting angry/calm. Give it a -1?/-2? tag to limit him to a single alternate form (he can Max Out to briefly overcome the limitation and become a variant Hulk). Add a +1 or +2 Duration tag to make the power last minutes or hours. Finish by giving the power the +1 Extra Traits tag as many times as you have XP to spare. The base power will give him 5 dots from a laundry list of Hulk-appropriate traits, and each purchase of the Extra Traits tag will give him 5 more. Taking the tag the max of 5 times gives him 30 dots to spread around his Hulk form, which should be plenty.

He'll likely need Mega-Might and Mega-Stamina 5, as well as a few levels of Durability. Most of the Might based Mega-Edges would be appropriate as well, as are a good chunk of the Stamina Mega-Edges. The Hulk is technically highly acrobatic, but this never seems to come up, so just give him Mega-Dexterity 1. He has super keen senses (he can perceive astral forms), so add on a sensory Mega-Edge. I don't think he actually needs to take the Growth power, since Transformation presumably covers him becoming really big.

Raising Quantum to 4 should be 48 points.
        Transformation 5 would be 60 points.
        Five Extra Trait tags cost 60 points.
        Assume the single form limitation and Duration enhancement tags cancel out.
        Swapping mental/social stats for physical and limiting the change to an anger trigger cancel out.
        End total is 168 points.
        Last edited by Shepherdboi; 12-22-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Does it have to be exactly like the Hulk? I only ask because Hulk, Doctor Solar, Captain Atom, Firestorm, and Doctor Manhattan are all essentially different takes on the same basic concept. There are also some rather fascinating alternate takes and pastiches in What If and Planetary.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Thinking things through further, the Transformation power wouldn't let me bypass the Quantum limit on Mega-Stats. It also doesn't allow you to take physical Mega-Edges, despite letting you take the Body Modification, Durability, and sensory Mega-Edges. I'm ignoring that bit and letting Dr. Banner take physical Mega-Edges via Transformation. Here is Dr. Bruce Banner as a (mostly) legal starting character:

Attributes-
            Might: 2
            Dexterity: 2
            Stamina: 2
            Intellect: 5
            Cunning: 3
            Resolve: 3
            Presence: 2
            Manipulation: 2
            Composure: 4

Paths-
            Origin Path: Suburbia
            Role Path: Technology Expert
            Society Path: Freelance Nova (adapted from Freelance Psion)

Skills-
            Close Combat: 1
            Enigmas: 1
            Humanities: 1
            Integrity: 1
            Larceny: 1
            Medicine: 1
            Pilot: 1
            Science: 5 (Specialty: Radiation)
            Survival: 1
            Technology: 2
            Skill Trick: R&D Expert

Edges-
            Fame or Alternate Identity (from being a Nova)
            Big Hearted
            Patron (1)
            Lightning Calculator
            Covert (1)
            Danger Sense

Quantum: 4 (48 xp)
            Transformation: 5, -2 tag (only turns into the Hulk), -1 tag (only when angry), +1 tag (Attribute swap), +2 tag (Duration), +3 tag (Extra Traits). (96 xp)
            6 xp left over

Hulk-
            Attributes-
            Might: 5
            Dexterity: 2
            Stamina: 5
            Intellect: 1
            Cunning: 3
            Resolve: 3
            Presence: 1
            Manipulation: 1
            Composure: 4

Mega-Might: 4
            Mega-Crush (1), Mega-Lifting (1), Quantum Leap (1), Shockwave (1), Thunderclap (1)
            Mega-Dexterity: 1
            Mega-Stamina: 3
            Dense Flesh (2), Regeneration (1)
            Durability: 3
            Detection (astral beings): 1 [taken despite lacking Mega-Cunning, as per the Transformation power's text allowing you to take sensory Mega-Edges without letting you take Mega-Cunning]

With more xp, go for Quantum +1, Mega-Might +1, Mega-Stamina +2, Durability +2, Mega-Speed (1), Rapid Strike (1), Immunity (1), and Dense Flesh +3. Dr. Banner could eventually get Mega-Intellect and related crafting Mega-Edges.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              Quick question before even try, but, how much experience is allowed?
              I don’t have the Beta for 2nd Edition yet, but I assume there is a starting level of Experience? (One of the reasons for this post is my great curiosity for how the systems handle Character Creation differently.)

If using 1st Edition, 30 Nova Points. (Though if you wanted to do a “fully realized” Hulk in 1st Ed, I’d love to see how many Experience you could use to achieve that.)

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              Does it have to be exactly like the Hulk?
              I’m personally very happy if it follows the “Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde” core concept of most versions of the Hulk, but I am intrigued by other possibilities you are considering.

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              I only ask because Hulk, Doctor Solar, Captain Atom, Firestorm, and Doctor Manhattan are all essentially different takes on the same basic concept. There are also some rather fascinating alternate takes and pastiches in What If and Planetary.
              I would love to see any of these characters/versions stated up for either Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post

I don’t have the Beta for 2nd Edition yet, but I assume there is a starting level of Experience? (One of the reasons for this post is my great curiosity for how the systems handle Character Creation differently.)

If using 1st Edition, 30 Nova Points. (Though if you wanted to do a “fully realized” Hulk in 1st Ed, I’d love to see how many Experience you could use to achieve that.)
                2E starts with the Trinity core rules, but ignores the normal Step 5 and Step 6. You instead gain the Nova Template: Tier 3, Quantum 1, Fame or Alternate Identity Edge, 1 dot in a single Favored Approach Attribute (which seems to be ignored by the quick start character examples), and 150 xp, with power caps as set by the Storyteller. Alternate creation rules involve being given more or less starting xp, ranging from 75 through 300.

Overall, the Transformation route I used for the Hulk makes the Power seem too strong. Why would anyone take either Growth or Shrinking when Transformation gives you both, and a bunch of other great options as well?

Comment

Working...
                X