Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could make one real 2018 celebrity erupt - who and what powers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could make one real 2018 celebrity erupt - who and what powers?

I have done this a few times in 1st edition games. Taken a person from the public eye and made then a Nova. After all there is a decent enough chance one of the 2000ish Novas in 2028 could have been famous prior.

Community Content Creator - OPP Freelancer - Storyguide / Storyteller
    Currently Running: Vampire the Requiem 2nd Edition, Trinity Continuum: Æon

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post
    I have done this a few times in 1st edition games. Taken a person from the public eye and made then a Nova. After all there is a decent enough chance one of the 2000ish Novas in 2028 could have been famous prior.
    Elton John. Because it's at least possible that he's already erupted.

Last edited by johntfs; 01-02-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Hmm, very well...

Erupt Greta Thunberg, give her Anteus's power set and let her rip.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
        Hmm, very well...

Erupt Greta Thunberg, give her Anteus's power set and let her rip.
        Yes. And in her eagerness to stop Global Warming she accidentally jump starts an Ice Age. At which point she has to advocate in favor of gas-guzzling cars, coal plants and anything else that helps globally warm the planet.

Comment

Getting back to 2018 celebrities. I'm gonna go with Cardi B erupting as a Mega+Int/Technomancer. Her already genius social media presence explodes as she is followed by a fleet of drones, establishing something akin to Ruby Rod's traveling talk show from Fifth Element.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post

Yes. And in her eagerness to stop Global Warming she accidentally jump starts an Ice Age. At which point she has to advocate in favor of gas-guzzling cars, coal plants and anything else that helps globally warm the planet.

At the rate we're going now, even a nova might be hard-pressed to so much as slow things down.

Comment

Ariana Grande. No clue about the powers, except maybe some Mega-Social Attributes.

Random question. Why did they get rid of Appearance as an Attribute?

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                Ariana Grande. No clue about the powers, except maybe some Mega-Social Attributes.

Random question. Why did they get rid of Appearance as an Attribute?
                Because appearance is subjective. Presence is not. Long story short, a person with high presence make you pay attention on her, no matter if you think she is beautiful or not, while high appearance is basically attractiveness.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Hmm. Maybe. Some people might think pink and blue hair is beautiful, but someone else might disagree. Is that why you mean?

Comment

But it some of the old games Appearance was a separate attribute. Did people back in the Nineties think beauty was objective?

Comment

But it some of the old games Appearance was a separate attribute. Did people back in the Nineties think beauty was objective?
                      Game design has advanced a lot in 20 years.

Community Content Creator - OPP Freelancer - Storyguide / Storyteller
                      Currently Running: Vampire the Requiem 2nd Edition, Trinity Continuum: Æon

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Because appearance is subjective. Presence is not. Long story short, a person with high presence make you pay attention on her, no matter if you think she is beautiful or not, while high appearance is basically attractiveness.
                        Part of it was the rebooting of the NWoD which also repackaged Appearance as Striking Looks, making it a modifier of Social rolls instead of a determiner. This was done to set up the idea of Force, Finesse and Resilience as approaches. You'll notice that Perception and Wits have also disappeared as full Attributes, being folded together into Cunning.

These are some scenes from The Simple Life's first season starring famous "hotties" Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. 2003-2004 Paris and Nicole are both really pretty girls. Watch that clip, listen to those very pretty, high-Appearance girls and then tell us all how much influence you'd let them exercise over your life.

That's why Appearance was canned as an Attribute.

Comment

Oh come with me my pretty little one
                          Oh come with me my honey
                          I swear by the blue eyes in my head
                          That you’ll never want for money...

“My pretty little one.” Not “my high-Presence little one.”

Comment

Hmm. Maybe. Some people might think pink and blue hair is beautiful, but someone else might disagree. Is that why you mean?
                            Kind of... the example I used on my previous discussion was more like: Some people will put a extreme overweight girl as a 5 dot appearance, others will put this same as 1 dot, same for trans, same for different sex. A person with high presence can look like any one, their capacity is not necessary ally related to your preferences but they will make everyone pay attention on them, for their weirdness, sex appeal, way they move, voice, what ever.

Comment

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post
                              Game design has advanced a lot in 20 years.
                              Exactly! One of the th ings that happened in the last 20 years was a way thinking about social attributes as important as the others, and ways to quantify it. Strength, Dexterity and Constitution are prety easy to quantify and differentiate, but Charisma was the black sheep in DnD.

When it was turned on 3 attributes in VtM there was no discussion about how people do social things, not on a quantifiable way, so Appearance was the obvious choice of word to simplify the first look attractiveness. Play with the idea for 10 years and you have a more clear way to think about social interaction as mechanical process (like any other action) and you start using a more “works for all” word, that is presence.

i personally see this 3 arenas x 3 approaches as a natural evolution of the VtM attributes, of course a genial mind stepped and wrote it, but it was surfacing over the 1995-2005 period, before the New World of Darkness show up with the end of appearance as an attribute.

Comment

Working...
                              X