Trinity Setting Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Setting Ideas

Obviously the Trinity Continuum is rife with setting possibilities. Besides the Core's "Talent's in the Modern Age" and the three classic flavors (Æon, Aberrant, and Adventure), there's also forthcoming concepts such as Anima, Ægis and IIRC Avalon. There's also been a number of interesting ideas bandied about in various forums (here, RPG.net, others).

Just a few (my own and others):

Æther - from MostlyJoe on rpg.net; basically Adventure but set in the 19th century and built from the tropes of period fiction. Genius detectives and their evil mastermind counterparts, amazing inventions, psychical research, clockwork men, monstrous misfits of science, and expeditions to the far corners of the globe and beyond (to the Moon, Mars, and the Hollow Earth, just to start).

Aquarius - the great psychic awakening of 1969, with Psiads in the early 70s.

Action! - the 80s action hero genre for the Core's Talents, in the decade that gave us Commando, The A-Team, Airwolf, Magnum PI, Big Trouble in Little China, Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, Miami Vice, and Action Jackson.

Agents - Again for Core Talents, the spy and espionage genre, both modern and historical (mainly the Cold War and James Bond type stuff)

Atomics! - Like Adventure and Aether, but the world of 1950s sci fi, with giant mutant ants, experimental jets, alien invaders, and Godzilla.

Atlantis - The ancient lost world.

Abiogenesis - A weird idea for a modern or "week after tomorrow" type setting, with Superiors that are completely artificial constructions seeking a place and a purpose in a strange new world.

Abolition - Another Core Talent one, about the Underground Railroad before and during the US Civil War.

Azoth - from glamourweaver: Where Sir Issac Newton's interest in classical alchemy results in a massive flux event, and eventually voyages into the heavens that turn out to conform to Ptolemaic models. Sort of Gregory Keyes's Age of Unreason meets Richard Garfinkle's Celestial Matters.

Ares - also from glamourweaver : Building of the Martian invasion of War of the Worlds to create an Edwardian version of Æon, complete with Psi Orders.

Apex - glamourweaver again: Something of a sequel to Adventure, in which the heroes of the 20s stop the rise of Fascism and other totalitarianism statist movements, ultimately leading to a late 20th century Planetary Romance setting with Mars, Venus, and other worlds looking like they were imagined in John Carter and other period fiction.

Aftermath - glamourweaver : A post-apocalyptic Mad Max setting where China carried out the Ultimatum.

Allies- Another historical one, with action-adventure in WW2.

Avast! - from Medved on rpg.net, the age of pirates

Avant-Garde - also Medved, with the Aberrant eruption happening in 1910, most of them aspiring to be Neitzsche's overman.

Argo/Argonauts - Mateus Luz : Novas traveling the universe in their hyperadvanced space ship after the Ultimatum.

Armegeddon 1983 - NewK : WW3 in the 80s leads the Doyen to create the Psi Orders to preserve human civilization.

Aurum - Dataweaver : A sequel to Adventure, with Stalwarts, Superiors, and Novas in the late 30s and 40s.

​Argent - glamourweaver : Follow up to Aurum, with Novas in the late 50s and 60s.

Alchemy (take 2) - Talents in the era and courts of Elizabeth I, Rudolph II, Christian IV, Michael the Brave, Henry IV, Sigismund III Vasa, Phillip II, and Pope Sixtus V.

Antediluvian - Dreaminggod : Prehistoric "fantasy"

Aliens! - Something of an X-Files in the style of Hellboy/MIB/Stargate excursion into a world of government agents, secret invasions, and alien allies.

Also, Anhk was suggested by CLAVDIVS as a Ægyptian counterpart to Ægis, along with Ado for Elizabethean/Shakespearean England. (Aesir or Asgard also work as a Norse counterpart to Ægis.)

And some random words that start with A that might inspire other people: Absinthe, Abyss, Academe, Acceleration, Achromatic, Adamantine, Ad Infinitum, Adonis, Aeolus, Aesop, Alabaster, Albion, Alexandria, Alloy, Aloha, Alpha Centauri, Amalgam, Amazon, Ambrosia, Amen Ra, Amnesia, Anagram, Analog, Anarchy, Android, Andromeda, Angelus, Animism, Antaeus, Antimatter, Anubis, Apparition, Apollo, Arabia, Arachne, Arcadia, Archimedes, Arena, Arsenal, Art Deco, Artemis, Assassins, Asylum, Atlas, Attitude, and Augustus.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-13-2020, 10:15 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

I actually named the one you have listed as Alchemy,” Azoth”

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      I actually named the one you have listed as Alchemy,” Azoth”
      Ah, you are correct. My tired brain keeps trying to insist on Alchemy.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

3 variations of Aether: One where all the Jules Verne stories are true. Another where all the classical monsters are real. And the last where Spiritualists basically scientific fact.

Argo would be a nice name for a bunch of low powered novas that left Earth after the Ultimatum in a giant ship using the most amazing Nova Tech in the world, even Warpdrives and matter synthesisers, as none of them where capable is space flight. The name of the ship would be... Prometheus... OF COURSE IT WOULD BE ARGO!

Amalgam would be a nice name for a Wuxia setting in modern world, with gangs fighting in the underworld for the pieces is an old Artifact that would become part of the user and he would be something more than human.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          3 variations of Aether: One where all the Jules Verne stories are true. Another where all the classical monsters are real. And the last where Spiritualists basically scientific fact.
          I was thinking all three at once, with the Hollow Earth type stuff from Adventure, Mesmerist spirituasts dealing with flux ghosts, and Stalwarts including vampires, beastmen, and the like.

And Argonauts as sane Novas or Superiors exploring the galaxy in search of a home, Battlestar Galactica style, would be pretty cool.

Comment

I have a few ideas. One is based on the Doomsday 1983 timeline where the third world war kicked off in 1983. In this one, the Doyen are good, or at least more neutral, and the creation of Psions and the rise of more psi-ads is a part of an attempt to save human civilization.

Comment

Aerthur-Talents of the Round Table!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                Avalon. That game would definitely be called Avalon. Also if you look at the older stories, not just Talents. I’m not saying Novas or Psions, but Stalwarts Knights of the Round Table should definitely be viable

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  I think that is what Avalon is alledged to be.

I kind of want to try working out a setting based on Marvel Comics, almost entirely based on Talents, where various characters appear the year they debut and age in real time, and the technology developed by people like Hank Pym, Reed Richards, Tony Stark and others has transformed the world into a sci fi setting by the 21st century. (Mutants would all be Psiads probably.) So your factions would include stuff like the Future Foundation, Stark Industries, Xavier Academy, SHIELD, Heroes for Hire, the Secret Defenders, the New Warriors, Oracle Inc., and probably several others.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Avalon. That game would definitely be called Avalon. Also if you look at the older stories, not just Talents. I’m not saying Novas or Psions, but Stalwarts Knights of the Round Table should definitely be viable
                    And if Ægis is anything to go by, Merlin would be some sort of psychomorph.

Alternately, he's a high-tier Talent who, like Max Mercer, has a tenuous connection to time. (Or maybe he is Max Mercer?)
                    Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-07-2020, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I think that is what Avalon is alledged to be.

I kind of want to try working out a setting based on Marvel Comics, almost entirely based on Talents, where various characters appear the year they debut and age in real time, and the technology developed by people like Hank Pym, Reed Richards, Tony Stark and others has transformed the world into a sci fi setting by the 21st century. (Mutants would all be Psiads probably.) So your factions would include stuff like the Future Foundation, Stark Industries, Xavier Academy, SHIELD, Heroes for Hire, the Secret Defenders, the New Warriors, Oracle Inc., and probably several others.
                      The X-Men are about as close as you'll ever get to people suffering from Quantum Flux. If I were to do this setting, I'd consider limiting mutants to low-powered Novas with mandatory Aberrations, much like the upcoming Deviant game for Chronicles of Darkness features people with Variations and linked Scars.
                      Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-10-2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Aurum: an alternate sequel to the Adventure! era (late 30s to early 50s) but a bit more high-powered: not full-blown Novas, at least not at first; but where the eximorphs can be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap real buildings in a single bound.

Comment

I think the idea of an MCU-ish game with lots of Talents capable of creating Inspired Tech with Nova powers on it is nice. You can have a Hank Pym and a Tony Stark with no powers and no scale above regular people, but still capable of creating Nova Tech. They where even capable of creating Superiors by the 40s.

the few novas could be Experiemntations, like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, a few random dudes like Spider-Man, and some happy accidents, like the Hulk.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

In terms of Atomics! you could probably repurpose some of "They Came From Beneath the Sea!" because it uses Storypath.

Comment

I would actually keep Peter Parker as a Talent, based on the idea that the science demo results in a flux inspiration instead of radioactive spider, with him turning into this mix of genius inventor and investigative reporter in his teens, eventually graduating college and maybe joining the Future Foundation. Almost everyone would follow this trend, being a Pulp Adventure version of their secret identity rather than their super powered self. There may be a few Superiors, but the only possible Nova might be the Hulk. Mutants all being Psiads (and powers adapted to that) is partially to explain why they tended to get different treatment than every other super for so long.

Comment

Working...
                              X