Can you call pre Q day Quantum users Novas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you call pre Q day Quantum users Novas

So we seem to use Novas as a catch all term for Quantum users that are not Stalwarts or Superiors. In the future the call them Aberrants but that is associated with nonterrestrial space mutants, in subnova ones.

But would it really apply to those who erupted from random events before Q Day, or was it M day? I forget what the event with space station was called sorry.

Like a Doctor is caught in a gamma bomb explosion and erupts into a jade giant? Or a lad erupts after a radioactive spider bites him. Like we imagine some of the stronger Novas might have been evolved Stalwarts or Beings who erupted from random events.

So are Novas all tied to the events of Divis Mals plan? Or is it more a power level/pattern of quantum use?

And do you think all the Quantum users were affected by the world wide erruption of that special day? Or do you think they weren’t and some are just advanced because they erupted earlier and had more time to evolve their quantum powers?

It is a time for great deeds!

I'm not sure that a Hulk or Spiderman would be possible in the TC main sequence without an N-Day event in the recent past. Pre-N-Day Eruptions, sure; but “bitten by a radioactive spider” sounds more like a trigger for an Eruption that's already been made possible by an N-Day event in the recent past, and “exposed to radiation from a Gamma bomb” sounds like an N-Day event in and of itself — or it would be, if not for the Doyens' containment field.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there's been at least something of an effort to distinguish between what the Æon era calls Aberrants and what the Aberrant era calls Novas. The former tend to be more ravaged by Aberrations than the latter, for one thing. And I wonder if maybe that's the default for Eruptions without the “high background radiation” supplied by a Hammersmith or N-Day event: in the rare event that you Erupt at all, you Erupt more like an Aberrant, with the potential for the likes of Quantum Powers but with a guarantee of Aberrations out of the gate and a fast-track to gaining more of them as you power up.

In this view, the Hammersmith event allowed for the widespread Eruptions of Superior-like superhumans (the Stalwarts), and N-Day enabled widespread Eruptions along the lines of Aberrants, but with less inherent instability (the Novas). Æon-era Aberrants would be a return to form for superhumans; and barring another N-Day event or a superhuman equivalent of Prometheus Chambers, you can expect superhumans “born in the wild” to be more Aberrant-like than Nova-like.

Comment

I think that thanks to the Hammersmith event the Inspired, of all three categories and multiple power groups, are capable of appearing ith humans at any point in time and space.

That said, those that manifest outside of certain time periods are often lower in both number and power. They arent mutated and horrible, at least not for the most part, rather what they can do is more hidden and difficult to advance.

In game terms i would say they start with less experience and need to spend more to progress. Additionally, I would say Psi or Quantum maxes are naturally lower.

But to me yes, there can very much be a nova who erupted in say 1999 way before N-Day.

I would also say that upon N-Day said nova gains the ability to recalibrate his stats based on the new paradigm. That is, the new experience costs.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
        I think that thanks to the Hammersmith event the Inspired, of all three categories and multiple power groups, are capable of appearing ith humans at any point in time and space.

That said, those that manifest outside of certain time periods are often lower in both number and power. They arent mutated and horrible, at least not for the most part, rather what they can do is more hidden and difficult to advance.

In game terms i would say they start with less experience and need to spend more to progress. Additionally, I would say Psi or Quantum maxes are naturally lower.

But to me yes, there can very much be a nova who erupted in say 1999 way before N-Day.

I would also say that upon N-Day said nova gains the ability to recalibrate his stats based on the new paradigm. That is, the new experience costs.
        Figure pretty much this. Stalwarts are basically low-powered (but less Transcendence-prone) Novas. Psychomorphs are basically Psiads. Daredevils are just Talents with another name.

If Psiads came about in Trinity Core, they couldn't manifest Quantakinesis beyond the basic powers. If they somehow ended up in the Aeon era, they could. And once that door is opened, if those Psiads somehow came back to Trinity Core, they could still increase their Quantakinesis even if they couldn't really pass that along to others.

Figure a lot of what Novas/Psions/Talents can do is shaped by their own beliefs about the world. Quantum 9 or not, if your Nova doesn't think she can fly, she can't fly.

This works in other ways as well. It's very possible that in Adventure we'll learn about certain "lost" Aptitudes. Maybe there are Aptitudes ala Spiritualism that allow a Psion to contact "ghosts" and the "spirits of the dead," whether that means the actual souls of dead people or some kind of psionic imprint/residue that thinks it's a ghost. However because in the modern/Aeon eras, people have decided that ghosts are superstitious bullshit, that Aptitude doesn't manifest any more. Figure maybe there's something like Parasentience which revolves around contacting extradimensional beings ala H.P. Lovecraft. It again doesn't exist because people decided it was crap (or just so damned dangerous that Telepathic Psiads deliberately erased the knowledge of how to do this to keep Hastur from coming to Earth and wrecking all the furniture.

It's possible that the Doyen or other alien Psi races developed all sort of weird Psi abilities and that the Doyen only gave humans the most common ones that were useful for the purposes of the Doyen.

Comment

If I were running Aeon and I had someone who could do the rules and mechanical part for me, I would include a ninth Aptitude called Necrokinesis which is used by psiads who call themselves Mediums. The Doyen can't use Necrokinesis (in fact, they may not even be aware of its existence) and therefore never invented a Prometheus Chamber for it.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

For a Necrokinesis Aptitude, I'd focus more on the “psychic residue” angle, and generally say that ghosts don't exist — but that Astral Forms do, and that the Aptitude is as much about Astral Projection as it is about psychic residue. That could even be two of its Modes. Not sure what the third would be, though. Possession, maybe?

That said, I'm hoping that Mesmerists won't use the Aptitudes and Modes system; I'm hoping they get something more akin to Adventure!'s Psychic Knacks.
            Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-17-2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

On the original question: I believe the pre-N-Day quantum users, in a similar way Mesmerists and Psiads are different, can be Stalwarts and Novas, but the Novas are limited to Dark Stars. What that means? Not much... I would say they were not tier 3, so not real Novas, but we have no proper name for them...

On the new Aptitudes, I would use the regular modes to deal with it on a different ways, like telepathy would allow detect and talk to residual intelligences, Clair to see thru the veil of death, pk to handle spirits as material things.
              probably the best way to handle it is thru knacks as in Adventure!, but I don’t think we will see anything with this theme soon...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I’m not super concerned about the power level. The books already are to constraining for my tastes, like no psychic Novas and we really should have a way for Talents to become one of the other splats as often that’s part of a superhero origin they were basically talents that became Novas, like Reed and Benjamin before the Cosmic Rays.

No we know aliens besides humans had Quantum users, the books say exposure to exotic energies sometimes create eruptions, exotic energies probably resonate with quantum in such cases, it’s basically what happened with the Stalwarts.

What I’m saying is right now we really only have All Novas are Mutants/Inhumans, except for the Japanese Super Soldier program they make Superiors and in the grandpa days you had mutates like Stalwarts. It was rare but they happened even before the Hammersmith event and even after the Doyen Bubble.

I prefer having more Origins to my Marvels then everyone is just homo superior or Captain America. So would these one offs be just that one offs so an ex misc splat? Or would they be like when they retconned Mimic in Exiles saying he wasn’t a human mutated to copy mutant powers he was actually a mutant who had his X gene activated by chemicals?

I like the idea some people create specific experiments like Curt Connors experimenting with Reptile DNA making him a lizardman rather then just activating his eruption and he subconsciously became more reptilian. After all his formula makes randos become Lizard people even if they don’t know what they were exposed to.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  If I were running Aeon and I had someone who could do the rules and mechanical part for me, I would include a ninth Aptitude called Necrokinesis which is used by psiads who call themselves Mediums. The Doyen can't use Necrokinesis (in fact, they may not even be aware of its existence) and therefore never invented a Prometheus Chamber for it.
                  Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  For a Necrokinesis Aptitude, I'd focus more on the “psychic residue” angle, and generally say that ghosts don't exist — but that Astral Forms do, and that the Aptitude is as much about Astral Projection as it is about psychic residue. That could even be two of its Modes. Not sure what the third would be, though. Possession, maybe?

That said, I'm hoping that Mesmerists won't use the Aptitudes and Modes system; I'm hoping they get something more akin to Adventure!'s Psychic Knacks.
                  For me, a new Aptitude should do something that is not covered in some other way by the other Aptitudes. Taking the idea of Necrokinesis, if we deal with Astral forms, we already step on the seventh dot power of Telepathy. So, you can play a Telepath Psion and after a huge amount of effort, work and XP you can gain the power of Astral Life. Or you can play a Psiad with Necrokinesis and get it way cheaper and faster.

Beyond that, we do these Astral forms do? Well, you can go to other places and see other things without physically traveling there. You know, like you do with Clairsentience. Honestly, a medium could easily be a Psaid with Telepathy and Clairsentience who combines those Aptitudes within herself to draw on knowledge of the dead person and then project his "ghost" into the minds of others. Hell, in terms of visualizing Telepathy and Clairsentience you could have the psiad/psion asking questions or positing scenarios. A remember a couple of times where characters examining evidence would "question" the dead victim on the original CSI.

So, figure Necrokinesis is out. What about... Parasentience?

Let's make Parasentience be a kind of mirror to Quantakinesis. While Quantakinesis deals with the Quantum matter of energy, matter and Quantum itself, Parasentience deals instead with Flux and other dimensions.

Basic power: Para-perception This ability allows the users to perceive Dimensional Flux. They can recognize Talents by their Inspiration and with four successes can even determination their base Inspiration and current Inspiration pool.

Modes. We'll need to have three. At Psi 6/Mode 6, each Mode gains the usual "Scale boost" ability. At Psi 7, the Proxy Technique might be something like "True Inspriation" For 10 Psi, a Parasenitent can Inspire a willing Baseline (including a Superior) to become Inspired as a Talent with a simple success. Further successes may be spent to add to Facets. Four successes may instead be spent Inspire the person with latent Psionic ability. A latent Psion created this way who enters a Prometheus chamber receives the full power of a Psion - until the duration ends, at which point the temporary psion dies as he reverts to baseline status. The state of Talent lasts for a number of days equal to the Psion's effective Psi at the time of the Inspiration. However, the Inspiration effect may be made permanent should the Proxy sacrifice a permanent point of Psi, reducing herself from 7 to 6 (though this may be purchased again with XP)..

Flux Manipulation: This mode will be a mirror to Fundamentals in Quantakinesis. The person with this mode can resist/sheild herself from Gifts or Dramatic Editing, drain or provide Inspiration, alter Gifts or Enhance Inspiration in certain ways (investing Psi into a Talent to allow them to create or use Neotic Powered superscience Items).

Probability Influence: The Clairsentient mode of Psychocogntion gives Clear precognitive abilities that allow them to reduce the role of random chance and chart paths to outcomes they prefer - or avoid those they do not. Probability Influence take a different road to a similar end by focusing on gaining, spending and altering Momentum.

Dimensionality: The source of Flux is other dimensions. This mode allows the Parasentient to observe and interact with beings of a paradimensional nature (astral beings, phased beings). At the higher modes, the Parasentient can locate and brings others through dimensional pathways that lead into the Mist Between Worlds, taking them with her to other worlds and timelines.

Comment

Ghosts are just light from a dead star...

Richard Papen in The Secret History when he sees Agent Sciola (the FBI agent who asked him about Bunny’s murder) on an anti-smoking commercial the year after he died from lung cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                      Ghosts are just light from a dead star...

Richard Papen in The Secret History when he sees Agent Sciola (the FBI agent who asked him about Bunny’s murder) on an anti-smoking commercial the year after he died from lung cancer.
                      That's part of what Clairsentients do - they use Psychometry to see by the light of dead stars.

Comment

I actually like that better than my idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
                          For me, a new Aptitude ... At the higher modes, the Parasentient can locate and brings others through dimensional pathways that lead into the Mist Between Worlds, taking them with her to other worlds and timelines.
                          That’s a great idea!

I had in mind mediums and things like that as Talents, thinking about spirits as extra dimensional creatures, but if you add the time aspect (of the dead star), it becomes even stronger.

How would you link it to time manipulation (time stop, speed change, time travel)? Or do you think it’s out of the focus?

I would make the probability mode more like a time mode, with probability changing as the basic form, time stop as the 5 dots and short time travel as a 6 dot use of the 5 dot power.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

That’s a great idea!

I had in mind mediums and things like that as Talents, thinking about spirits as extra dimensional creatures, but if you add the time aspect (of the dead star), it becomes even stronger.

How would you link it to time manipulation (time stop, speed change, time travel)? Or do you think it’s out of the focus?

I would make the probability mode more like a time mode, with probability changing as the basic form, time stop as the 5 dots and short time travel as a 6 dot use of the 5 dot power.
                            Again, we already have a "time stop" with the seventh dot of Psychokinesis. Observing time in the past or future is covered by Clairsentience. Making objects/beings go faster/slower could also be covered by either Psychokinesis or perhaps stunts off the Quantakinetic mode, Energetics.

The point of Parasentience was to provide an aptitude that deals with something that psions/psiads genuinely cannot do at the moment. Figure it's also an aptitude that requires at least three Psi to access, as well. Even if developed and introduced into the game, the highest level that anyone could access at this point would be four dots in one mode - and that only if a Psiad took the Strong Mode edge. Figure the Parasentient Proxy will be a long time coming, because the Prometheus Chamber designed to trigger folks in this Aptitude hasn't been built yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X