This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
    If you were carrying a shield, would you give it to your opponent and then complain that the opponent doesn't just spend their time hitting the shield instead of holding it to one side and hitting you? Why would you make defensive windows appear near the opponent? You put them near yourself so the opponent has less chance of hitting you, and more chance of their attack going through a window.
    Ok, I didn't see it that way. The defensive effect of Window lasts the entire duration, as long as you can manage to stay near your "shield". The offensive effect would still only count for one (mixed) activation, given that the opponent would step aside the window pointing in his direction. If there ever comes a revisited Aeon edition, I'd wish that a scenario like this is included, because a dumb like me isn't able to get this idea out of the written rules myself. Thanks Bunyip!

Comment

• Does "Close Range" (Core p.80) is 0-2m, or 0-3m? Since Short is listed as 3-30m? 🤔
      Same doubt about Short (3-30m) versus Medium (31-100m). What are the correct numbers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timecrafter View Post
        Does "Close Range" (Core p.80) is 0-2m, or 0-3m? Since Short is listed as 3-30m? 🤔
        Same doubt about Short (3-30m) versus Medium (31-100m). What are the correct numbers?
        What’s printed in the book is correct.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

What’s printed in the book is correct.
          Please, clarify. My book - Core p.80 - literally says in the table: "Close Range = 0-2m" and "Short Range = 3-30m".
          If my target is at 2,5m from me, is he at Close Range or Short Range?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timecrafter View Post

Please, clarify. My book - Core p.80 - literally says in the table: "Close Range = 0-2m" and "Short Range = 3-30m".
            If my target is at 2,5m from me, is he at Close Range or Short Range?
            Just decide. If you’re worried about this level of nitpicking, you’re not getting the kind of system Storypath is.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• For what it's worth, I tend to read the upper ends of ranges as being hard caps; so 0–2 and 3–30 actually mean “up to 2” and “up to 30” to my way of reading it.

Not that I've ever encountered a situation where someone is 2½ meters away, mind you; in practice, we tend to start with “what range band are you in?” and establish actual distances, if at all, based on that. We leave precise measurements of distance to games like D&D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                in practice, we tend to start with “what range band are you in?” and establish actual distances, if at all, based on that.
                This is exactly how it should be approached. "How far away is the target?" "Eh, they're in short range."

Comment

• [Aeon] Two questions:

Does a psionic effect count as each of the modes used in that effect? For example, if a Quantakinetic uses Resist to protect himself against the Telekinesis mode, is he also protected if a psion uses a flaming hammer effect that combines Telekinesis and Thermokinesis?

Can the Empowerment vitakinetic power grant temporary copies of Psionic edges which can only be taken once? For example, if the target has Favored Mode in one mode, could Empowerment grant it to a different mode of that psion? Could it "double up" to grant a +4 Enhancement to that already Favored mode?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
                    [Aeon] Two questions:

Does a psionic effect count as each of the modes used in that effect? For example, if a Quantakinetic uses Resist to protect himself against the Telekinesis mode, is he also protected if a psion uses a flaming hammer effect that combines Telekinesis and Thermokinesis?
                    As a broad general answer I’d say yes, but it’s going to be depend on the specifics of the power effect and what contribution the resisted Mode gives. It’ll be SG’s call, but some cases will have partial or minimal resistance.

Can the Empowerment vitakinetic power grant temporary copies of Psionic edges which can only be taken once? For example, if the target has Favored Mode in one mode, could Empowerment grant it to a different mode of that psion? Could it "double up" to grant a +4 Enhancement to that already Favored mode?
                    No.

Comment

• We had something come up during our Aberrant game today. When you have Quantum Attack with the Non Lethal option or another unusual tag, like Entangle, how does the increased Scale granted by Quantum Attack ranks beyond 1 apply?

On the Inflict Damage stunt, the core rules say you just duplicate the stunt multiple times, when you have scale, but don't say how it impacts any other stunt, so it's unclear whether it just works the same way or not.

Edit: Ok after having looked through the books a bit more, it seems like we were very confused about about how it works, so I'm gonna just lay it out here to see if I'm getting this right. I'll use someone with Mega Might throwing a punch, while wearing a cestus.

First you roll your attack pool, in this case Close Combat+Might. If you get 1 or more successes, you add any enhancement from the weapon. Assuming you equal the target's defense, you can spend any remaining successes on any of the stunts you can afford.

If you have Scale on your opponent, twice the difference in your Power Scale vs their Defense scale is also added as enhancement to your attack, right?

And if you have the Non-Lethal Tag, that says that it applies the Stunned status...but the Stunned Status can't usually be bought as a Stunt, so how does that work? Is it just "Use the Inflict Injury Stunt, except you're applying the Stunned Status instead of the Injury Status?" If so, do I have to buy the Inflict Injury stunt multiple times to get the Unconsciousness Status?
                      Last edited by BrilliantRain; 09-23-2021, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• We had these days the first combat in our Aeon game and several questions arose that I hope can be clarified here.

1) Armor
                        1a) Do two or more pieces of worn armor stack (in terms of soft/hard armor and in terms of other tags)? Say, a bioweave and a shifting armor, and maybe a VES on top of that.
                        1b) Does armor from different sources stack? E.g. a bioweave and a kinetic shield.
                        1c) In Core and Aeon are several references to an armor rating and an armor value (e.g. Core pp. 63 and 124, Aeon pp. 274, 262)? Is this meant to be soft armor? Or tags?
                        1d) Related to this, there are also several references to soft armor or soft armor value/rating without giving the type of resisted damage (e.g. Core p. 64, Aeon pp 126,127, 263). Do I have to choose the type (bulletproof, impact-resistant, slash-resistant, something else)? Or is it against any damage?

2) The Aim: shoot to injure skill trick (Core p 46) applies if the opponent takes an injury condition. But antagonists do not take injury conditions. How is this supposed to work? Also, I am wondering if it should really be possible to take out a main adversiary with just a single shot.

3) Weapons with the stun tag impose the stunned condition with a +2 complication. Does this mean that this stunned condition can be shaken off with a stamina+resolve roll with difficulty 2? Can I roll every round? And does it wear off naturally after 2 rounds?

Thank you for your time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donaeva View Post
                          We had these days the first combat in our Aeon game and several questions arose that I hope can be clarified here.

1) Armor
                          1a) Do two or more pieces of worn armor stack (in terms of soft/hard armor and in terms of other tags)? Say, a bioweave and a shifting armor, and maybe a VES on top of that.
                          No.

1b) Does armor from different sources stack? E.g. a bioweave and a kinetic shield.
                          Yes

1c) In Core and Aeon are several references to an armor rating and an armor value (e.g. Core pp. 63 and 124, Aeon pp. 274, 262)? Is this meant to be soft armor? Or tags?
                          If it doesn’t specify, assume it’s referring to Soft armor unless context makes it clear it’s referring to Hard.

1d) Related to this, there are also several references to soft armor or soft armor value/rating without giving the type of resisted damage (e.g. Core p. 64, Aeon pp 126,127, 263). Do I have to choose the type (bulletproof, impact-resistant, slash-resistant, something else)? Or is it against any damage?
                          If it doesn’t specify, assume it’s Complete unless context implies otherwise.

2) The Aim: shoot to injure skill trick (Core p 46) applies if the opponent takes an injury condition. But antagonists do not take injury conditions. How is this supposed to work? Also, I am wondering if it should really be possible to take out a main adversiary with just a single shot.
                          Shoot to Injure is unbalanced and doesn’t conform to the Skill Trick rules on p.45. I’d recommend not allowing it. As written, it either does nothing against Antagonists or eliminates them in one shot regardless of their threat.

3) Weapons with the stun tag impose the stunned condition with a +2 complication. Does this mean that this stunned condition can be shaken off with a stamina+resolve roll with difficulty 2? Can I roll every round? And does it wear off naturally after 2 rounds?
                          It’s been a while since I looked into Stunned, but I believe so. (I may need to edit this part of the post when I have a chance to reread.)

Comment

• Thanks Bunyip for the clarifications! I have another question I am confused on some aspects of Aberrants as antagonists in Aeon.

1) Corruption: I understood that there is a corruption rating and a corruption pool. From the pool the Aberrant can spent points as described on p. 331 in Aeon. On p. 330 it says "Corruption creates a pool equal to the rating [...] As a rough guideline, a suitable Corruption pool is equal to the number of players + the average Psi Rating of the group + Archetype Level of the Aberrant facing them." Initially I thought that the corruption rating is given by the Archetype (e.g. corruption 1 for sub-abberants, therefore pool 1), but the text seems to imply that the rating is actually given by the pool (say 4 players with psi 3 against a divergent with corruption 2 = corruption pool 9 = corruption rating 9)? Anyway, what exactly is the corruption rating for? I know the text says "a static
                            value for resisting powers" but what does this mean? Can you give an example?

2) Power clash: On p. 330 in Aeon: " For the purposes of psi powers, a Clash is resolved by making opposed Skill + Applicable Aptitude rolls; this is a Desperation pool for sub-Aberrant mutants, Secondary pool for Divergents and Nemeses, and a Primary pool for Terats." I honestly have no idea how to choose the skill and aptitude here. Assume an Aberrant is attacking with Disruption (p.335 in Aeon) to inflict an injury. A psion can resist this with a clash. What would be an applicable skill + aptitude?

Comment

• Originally posted by Donaeva View Post
                              Thanks Bunyip for the clarifications! I have another question I am confused on some aspects of Aberrants as antagonists in Aeon.

1) Corruption: I understood that there is a corruption rating and a corruption pool. From the pool the Aberrant can spent points as described on p. 331 in Aeon. On p. 330 it says "Corruption creates a pool equal to the rating [...] As a rough guideline, a suitable Corruption pool is equal to the number of players + the average Psi Rating of the group + Archetype Level of the Aberrant facing them." Initially I thought that the corruption rating is given by the Archetype (e.g. corruption 1 for sub-abberants, therefore pool 1), but the text seems to imply that the rating is actually given by the pool (say 4 players with psi 3 against a divergent with corruption 2 = corruption pool 9 = corruption rating 9)? Anyway, what exactly is the corruption rating for? I know the text says "a static
                              value for resisting powers" but what does this mean? Can you give an example?
                              Yes, that's confusing. Aberrants have a Corruption rating, and a Corruption Pool. The Corruption rating is what's referred to in the first instance and corresponds to the type of Aberrant, like youve said. The Corruption pool is calculated (as a suggestion) by the formula on page 330.

The Corruption trait is used where a power or ability needs to overcome a Difficulty, or be resisted by, the target's Psi (or power trait). In these instances, use Corruption Trait in its place. Also, Aberrants are walking Corruption zones, so feel free to use the Aberrant's Corruption trait with the rules of pages 191-193 to inflict additional difficulty on psions using their powers in directly against the Aberrant.

2) Power clash: On p. 330 in Aeon: " For the purposes of psi powers, a Clash is resolved by making opposed Skill + Applicable Aptitude rolls; this is a Desperation pool for sub-Aberrant mutants, Secondary pool for Divergents and Nemeses, and a Primary pool for Terats." I honestly have no idea how to choose the skill and aptitude here. Assume an Aberrant is attacking with Disruption (p.335 in Aeon) to inflict an injury. A psion can resist this with a clash. What would be an applicable skill + aptitude?
                              As this is clashing Quantum and psi powers against each other, Psi + appropriate Mode would be the dice pool. The Aberrant section was written in parallel with the psi powers section and references the Skill + Aptitude mechanic from before the constant Psi + Mode foruma was settled.

Comment

• Hi, just got the core book. Real nice hardcover, by the way. Perfect size, too.

So anyways I've got some questions about Super-Science. From reading the actual rules it seems like a Device of low rank should only have access to Edges, potentially. But the example Devices has a rank 1 set of spy glasses that have a Gift effect. Is that correct? Does "Edge" also include Gifts? Could I potentially make a rank 1 smartphone that has the "Always Connected" Gift and have a phone that can work anywhere?

Also, when making a rank 1 Device how do you deal with the 4 stages of item creation? You have a minimum amount of Milestones of 1 for creating a rank 1 Device, so do you make 4 different roles during 1 Milestone or do you need 4 Milestones to account for the 4 stages of Item creation?

Edit

Oh, another question. When you determine your initial Gifts are you limited to the keywords for each path? Like if you have the Adventurer Origin Path does the Gift you get for that Path have have the Might, Pilot or Survival Keywords? Or can you choose any three Gifts as long as you have unlocked it's Keyword with one of your Paths? Like can I pick 3 Athletics Gifts if I've unlocked the Athletics Keyword with one path even though I might only have one Path that has the Athletics Keyword? Or can I only have an Athletics Gift for the Path that has the the associated skill?
                                Last edited by Planguy; 10-20-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X