This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    Which Teleportation mode dots are required to Teleport a spaceship and it's inhabitants, assuming it is not a jump ship?

I'm guessing Translocation 4 (Long Jump) & Transmassion 3 (Transmit Mass) at a minimum, but I can see a case for Transmassion 4 (Transmit Person) or Transportal 5 (Warp).

Trying to figure how non-jumpships travel interstellar.
    Transmassion 4 is the main choice to send a ship and passengers. Transportal 4 is an alternative for smaller vessels, or multiple of smaller vessels while you keep the portal open.

You don’t need anything from Translocation for moving objects or other people, unless you want to accompany them.

The most ‘common’ way for non jump ships to interstellar travel is to install a Teleportation Helm, then the teleporter just needs Transmassion 4 to accompany, not Translocation *and* Transmassion.
    Last edited by Bunyip; 04-15-2020, 06:27 AM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I'm really enjoying the new systems but I have a number of questions:

Trinity Continuum

One

Is it correct that the maximum number of Injury Conditions that can be inflicted in a single same-Scale attack is two (one from Inflict Injury and one from Critical)?

Two

p. 104: "Shove (Variable successes): For every one success you spend after beating the Difficulty ..."

There is no Difficulty stipulated for the Stunt. Should this be worded more like Feint ("For every success spent on...")?

Three

p. 112: "... a character can only deal damage to a target no greater than three Scale above her ...".

As written, this means that a Scale 1 character can deal damage to a Scale 4 character. That seems inconsistent with other statements in the various books. Is it an error?

Four

p. 113 - 114: "Fin’s Defense is 2 against the attack ... [Ariadne] uses the first two successes to overcome the Difficulty (Defense of 1, so Difficulty 1) ..."

This seems to suggest that you need to spend a success beyond the Difficulty to overcome it. Are the numbers in the parentheses an error?

Five

p. 125: [Chart of example weapons].

Is the Enhancement rating shown in the chart pre- or post-tag effects?

If the latter, is the Enhancement of the Assault Rifle or the Katana recorded incorrectly?

Aeon

One

p. 207: "Psions can also combine their abilities to take advantage of each Aptitude’s specialties and open new ways to use their powers ..."

Is it correct that psions cannot enjoy a similar benefit from combining their Aptitude and Auxiliary Modes?

Relatedly, are psiads able to enjoy this benefit by combining their multiple Aptitudes? For example, could a Biokinetic/Vitakinetic psiad access the noetic template of others to shapeshift them?

Two

p. 209: "[Proxy-tier psions] can also learn their Aptitude’s single seven-dot power."

Does an Aptitude's seven-dot power count as a dot for the purposes of every Mode of an Aptitude (for calculating how long effects last, etc.)?

Three

p. 210: "Form Mastery ... The player crafts her desired shape from the various Transmogrification powers available to the character ..."

This suggests that Form Mastery only applies to the effects of powers from the Transmogrify Mode (and not Adaptation or Psychomorphing). Is that the intention?

Four

p. 215: "Chimera ... the psion can make any biokinetic alternations permanent ..."

This suggests that the effects of any Biokinesis power can be made permanent (including Adaptation and Psychomorphing)? Is that the intention?

Five

p. 216: "Fleshcrafter ... he may spend an additional Psi point to increase the Scale of one aspect of the power, like Speed Scale, by one ..."

Is it correct that a psion can only spend a single Psi point when using this power (or the analogous six-dot powers of other Aptitudes)?

In either case, could Fleshcrafter be used with Enhance or Perfection to give the psion strength Scale 2?

Six

p. 253: "Astral Life ... This power can be combined with Division to allow the psion’s astral form to possess someone else’s body."

This suggests (to me) that the user of Astral Life can utilise a more profound form of possession, that lasts Psi x weeks per success. Is that the intention?

If so, does the psion also use the reduced target number for "copy[ing] her mental template onto the victim"?

Seven

p. 275: "Poison (Non-Lethal) ... causes the Unconscious Status Condition ..."

The Unconscious Status Condition lasts a number of rounds (or minutes outside of combat) based on the damage source. What is the "damage source" for this weapon tag?

Comment

Thanks in advance for your answers. Sorry about the long post. I tried to make all the questions easy to answer.

Comment

Okay... lots of questions. Let’s see how we go.

Trinity Continuum Core
          1 - Yes
          2 - Difficulty is Defense. You need to lay hands on a person to shove them, whereas you can spend successes on Feint to help allies if you haven’t overcome the target’s Defense.
          3 - I don’t believe it is an error, can you point to the ‘statements in the various books’?
          4 - Yes, oops. Fin’s Defense is 2 and Ariadne has 3 successes - she spends 2 to deal with Defense 2 and has 1 left over. If Fin has no Soft Armor Ariadne inflicts injury and still has 1 success to spend.
          5 - Post-tags, and Assault Rifle appears to be correct. Note that Tags that give Enhancement in certain situations (Two-Handed’s +1 Enhancement to Inflict Injury) aren’t included in the blanket Enhancement for the weapon. Katana does seem to be miscalculated - it should be Enhancement 2, or Quality 3. Quality 3 is probably what they’re going for.

AEon

1a - Correct, you can’t combine with Auxiliary Modes.
          1b - Psiads can combine their own Aptitudes for effects, not for the boosts psions get. In other words, yes, a BK/VK psiad can shapeshift others, but they don’t get the p.208 bonuses for psions combining Aptitudes.
          2 - Yes.
          3 & 4 - Funnily enough, both say the opposite of the intention. For Form Mastery you can craft other BK effects into the form and pay XP as normal. For Chimera the biokinetic can only make Transmogrify changes permanent.
          5a - The BK can only spend a single psi point per aspect. She could spend one to increase Speed Scale, and another to increase Might or Size Scale. This applies to the 6-dot powers for all Aptitudes.
          5b - Yes. Proxy-tier characters can be scary.
          6a - Kind of. Division has advantages over Possession, but Possession has a few advantages of its own that Division doesn’t have.
          6b - I’d say yes.
          7 - Not sure. I’d look at how much damage the attack would have caused if it was an injuring attack. Usually 1 but maybe more if the successes could have purchased Critical.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Thanks so much, for the quick and comprehensive answers, Bunyip. I hope it wasn't too arduous.

With respect to question 3, the statements I was thinking of were:
            • Trinity Continuum, p. 112: "In the case where there is an encounter between individuals of differing Scale, the entity with three or more Scale above the other dictates the results of the conflict."
            • While I do not have a copy, I believe the Aberrant Kickstarter manuscript says something virtually identical, though framed in terms of the higher-Scale character "automatically succeeding".
            On my reading, the passage I cited in question 3 suggests that a Scale 1 character automatically loses only against a Scale 5+ character, while these other passages suggest that a Scale 1 character always loses against a Scale 4+ character.

Comment

So, I know this one is still a ways out, but I was curious if there had been any spoilers or teasers about Aegis released?

If not, could you give us the elevator pitch for it, maybe? Or even just the rough historical period (I was thinking hellenistic greece, but I’m not sure that’s been confirmed)?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                So, I know this one is still a ways out, but I was curious if there had been any spoilers or teasers about Aegis released?
                Until and unless it's given an official announcement, it's just wishful thinking.

Major projects currently in development:

- Adventure!
                - Assassins
                - Aberrant
                - Anima

Ian A. A. Watson
                Onyx Path Community Manager
                Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Until and unless it's given an official announcement, it's just wishful thinking.

Major projects currently in development:

- Adventure!
                  - Assassins
                  - Aberrant
                  - Anima
                  Thanks for the answer. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any future announcements.

A couple of questions for things you are definitely working on then.

Can a Nova build an enhanced item without actually understanding how it works? Like, if a Nova wanted a cloak of invisibility, could they just try to “impress” their power on a piece of fabric, or would they need to do something scientific, such as reweaving it out of complex meta-materials with a negative refractive index?

Will the new edition of Adventure! go into what happened to all the “weird science” and “strange locations” after the Hammersmith Effect finally wears off? If nothing else, I’d enjoy knowing what happened to Enkidu and his people, because they don’t seem to be around later.

Comment

How is Energetics 1 (Conversion) intended to function against attacks? It only uses the mechanical language of indirect damage like environmental effects (“levels of damage”). If you were to apply those mechanics to direct attacks it would be an incredibly powerful defense because it wouldn’t block attack successes like soft armor it would block purchases of inflict injury and critical. Even a starting character focused on Energetics could shrug off higher scale attacks, basically turn an aberrant’s scale 3 laser blast into a “womp womp womp” sad horn noise. Hilarious, but seems broken.

Will there be an errata for Trinity and Æon like Scion got, or at least an FAQ?

Comment

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
                      Will there be an errata for Trinity and Æon like Scion got, or at least an FAQ?
                      Trinity Continuum and Scion both had the same errata process. Basically:
                      1. Backer PDF goes out
                      2. Errata are collected
                      3. Errata are incorporated into the text
                      4. Final PDF/physical book goes out

Something happened in Scion's third step where, although errata were collected, an earlier un-errata'd version of the text was published. So we released a separate errata document by way of apology and to account for those changes.

That didn't happen with the Trinity Continuum book. The changes we made were incorporated into the final book. So there's no need for us to have a separate errata document.

An FAQ is a possibility, but I don't see sufficient need for one at the moment.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
                        How is Energetics 1 (Conversion) intended to function against attacks?
                        After rolling to activate the power (and spending 1 Psi point if activating reflexively) the psion selects up to Mode dots/2 types of energy (or attack ‘energies’ from the power description) and spends successes up to Mode dots/2 (per energy type) to subtract that number of successes from attacks of that type - in effect, increasing the Difficulty/Defense against those attack types.

This applies to the selected energy types within the character’s Radius and lasts for one scene. Note that this is an imprecise power that applies against the energy type regardless of source - if the character chooses to reduce laser energy and then fires her own laser pistol it will also be affected as her power transforms the coherent light into something else.

Comment

Hello all!

A couple of questions:

1) Regarding vehicles have a cost that is calculated according to the tags they have.
                          In the table on page 128 in the Core Rulebook, some vehicles are extremely expensive and are marked with an "L" as a cost and require the character to have the Loaded Enhanced Edge.

But if I am building a vehicle, how expensive must it be to get an L cost? How many dots in tags must it have?

2) Target number in all rolls is set according to the character tier, as a standard, let's assume 8.
                          The difficulty to overcome in a roll is the number of dice that roll an 8 or higher.
                          But an 8 is a tough roll, so is it expected to have most of the difficulties set to 1? Is there anywhere examples of difficulties, when should I require more than one successful roll?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sothus View Post
                            1) Regarding vehicles have a cost that is calculated according to the tags they have.
                            In the table on page 128 in the Core Rulebook, some vehicles are extremely expensive and are marked with an "L" as a cost and require the character to have the Loaded Enhanced Edge.

But if I am building a vehicle, how expensive must it be to get an L cost? How many dots in tags must it have?
                            You need the Loaded Enhanced Edge (Core p. 67) to afford items with an ‘L’ cost. Vehicles with L cost can have 7 points of positive tags (Core p. 128).

Vehicles can have up to their Wealth cost in positive tags (Core p. 127), so a vehicle with 6 or 7 points of tags has the L cost.

Originally posted by Sothus View Post
                            2) Target number in all rolls is set according to the character tier, as a standard, let's assume 8.
                            The difficulty to overcome in a roll is the number of dice that roll an 8 or higher.
                            But an 8 is a tough roll, so is it expected to have most of the difficulties set to 1? Is there anywhere examples of difficulties, when should I require more than one successful roll?
                            Many, yes, but most? Depends on the game.

Many types of rolls in the action/procedural/intrigue systems include associated Difficulties. For setting other DiffIculties, the table on p. 71 is for Enhancement but gives reasonable descriptive levels to help relate to numerical ones.

In general, you’ll want at least three dice to hit the probability for getting at least one success. Don’t forget that characters often have Enhancement as well, and you only need one rolled success for the Enhancement to add to it to overcome Difficulty or Complications.

Edit to add: It’s worth noting that Storypath is built around the idea of players not having to roll unless there’s a reasonable chance of failure, and it’s dramatically interesting. Storypath characters are competent action heroes so if you’re coming at the game from a past expectation of rolling for everything, set aside that habit. Use the 3 to 1 guide to help with what characters can do. If a character has a pool of 6 dice, some Enhancement, and the Difficulty is only 1 or 2, don’t bother rolling unless there’s a lot riding on the success or failure of that roll Similarly if they have 3-4 dice and it’s a simply Difficulty 1 roll. Unless it matters if the character fails, let them succeed and move on.
                            Last edited by Bunyip; 07-19-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I feel like there’s a fair amount going on with the Trinity Continuum system that could be usefully unpacked and dissected. Have you guys considered doing a Storyguide book for it, especially now that you’ve gotten to make modifications to the system and run it through a nice shakedown process?

Comment

So, I know you guys aren’t really answering Aberrant questions right now, but, as I was wondering something that was more setting related, I thought that might be alright?

Anyway.

I looked in the backer manuscript and, while it discusses particular eruptions, it never really discusses eruptions in general, what that feels like, and just how dangerous/obvious it could/should be. So, I was curious if there are any suggested particular limits around eruption. Can someone simply “ease” through without really even noticing? Can someone without any energy related powers still have an “explosive” eruption?

How much can someone’s body change without buying powers/mutations to represent that? Like, if a character had not been strong before, could they buy increased Might because of their eruption, even without getting Mega-Might? Could you justify buying Edges like Striking without necessarily taking Mega-Attributes when you erupted? Could you have changes that were effectively “cosmetic” without needing to have a Transformation or a power like Morph? Could someone with gender dysphoria subconsciously “reassign” themselves during the eruption or would taking specific powers be recommended for that? Could various physical issues be spontaneously healed during an eruption without the Nova having regenerative powers afterward?

Even if this is more of a table level decision, it might be worth a text box or something in the chargen chapter to give people some ideas for where the limits are, if any.

Comment

Working...
                                X