X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanWatson
    started a topic Ask a Dev

Ask a Dev

Accidentally deleted the previous thread, so let's start over.

Devs include, but are not limited to:
    • Eddy Webb (eddyfate), Onyx Path in-house developer
    • Ian A. A. Watson (IanWatson), Trinity Continuum Content Lead
    • Danielle Lauzon (impernious), Storypath guru, Adventure! developer
    • John Snead (John Snead), Æon developer
    • Steve Kenson, Aberrant developer
    • Leath Sheales (Bunyip), developer (Æon RMCs)
    Reminder:
    1. Ask a Dev does not mean "ask each other." If you're going to answer someone else's question and you are not a dev, you risk your comment being deleted.
    2. If you want to start a back-and-forth dialogue or you want to discuss a side tangent, start a new thread. That's not what this thread is for.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 01-19-2020, 07:39 PM.

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Q-Tech questions:
    1. Buying Qtech item requires the Q-Tech experience cost listed in page 94 or do you need to build it as in the rules of q-tech construction?
    2. I believe Qtech construction referencing Q-Tech Mega Edge is referring to this Experience cost, not to the Mega Edge itself. Is that right?
    3. Can you attune to a device (maybe temporarily) without paying the experience cost?

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Forgot this was the Ask the Dev thread

Leave a comment:

• Aliasi
    replied
    Alright, with the backer PDF out, I'm checking out various revisions compared to the preview, and I hit a minor snag in chargen. I see the new option for taking Transformations to discount things replacing the "take a point of Transcendence for half cost" option, but that option still appears on page 90. I just want to make sure that either both options exist, or if one supersedes the other.

On that note, the 'take a Transformation for an XP discount' option only lists low and mid level transformations. Are high level ones intended to be impossible at chargen, and if one wished to allow it anyway what would an appropriate discount be?

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Is there any amount of pointing out what “Bender” means in the U.K. that will get you guys to rethink Corbin’s moniker?
    We had extensive conversations about it and ultimately decided to leave it as is. Aberrant errata, however, is not what the Ask A Dev thread is for. You're welcome to use the errata form if you disagree with our decison.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Is there any amount of pointing out what “Bender” means in the U.K. that will get you guys to rethink Corbin’s moniker? His writeup references a “double-meaning” with regard to his drinking, but does not acknowledge he’s walking around calling himself a pejorative for gay men.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    With the Technique mega-edge, if I increase the xp cost on the base power, do the other powers in the suite change at all?

Leave a comment:

• TiwazTyrsfist
    replied
    Looking through the Aberrant backer PDF, very excited!

I like the new implementation of Techniques using a mega-edge.

Question on Power Suites and mixed actions.

Say I have a Power Suite that is Elemental Mastery Fire, with the sub-powers Quantum Attack (Beam) [a flamethrower like attack] and Flight [rocket flames from my feat].
    Using my quantum attack while flying is a Mixed Action, and therefore I cannot use the Spray stunt?

How would this be different if I had Flight and Quantum Attack as independent powers not part of a Suite (aside from costing more XP wise)?

Essentially, could you give me a few specific examples of setups where a power suite is WORSE than having the powers separately aside from the XP cost/savings?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by pcontop View Post
    Could not find this asked before, so here it is:

How does Dynamic Control work, in practice?
    Just noting that I’ve seen this and will get back to you soon, but can’t today.

Leave a comment:

• pcontop
    replied
    Could not find this asked before, so here it is:

How does Dynamic Control work, in practice?

What I get is this:

You roll dynamically for it to be activated, then assign the uses for Mode electromagnetic broadcasts.

"Once activated, each laser or other beam functions on its own, but moving, altering, or redirecting more than one of these lasers per round requires a mixed action."

What about the next turns, if you do not reassign anything, how many successes does it get on the attack? Do you roll for each attack separately and reflexively (with a full pool)? Or do you roll reflexively psi + mode + enhancements and assign successes for each task (defend, attack, wall, rework data) in a mixed roll? Or is the mixed roll to define successes for attacking, defending, etc, not reflexive? Or is it only non-reflexive when you reassign operations?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by cKnight View Post
    Is there an errata page or pdf to clear up some of the confusion with rules interpretation?
    Not as yet, no. Some fan made ones exist.

Leave a comment:

• cKnight
    replied
    Is there an errata page or pdf to clear up some of the confusion with rules interpretation?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
    I thought it was about how if you are full up you can't "downgrade the highest" from knit, but I hadn't considered it moves everything down the line at once like in Number 4. I thought you would need First Aid to clear up your Bruised so the train could move along.
    That is the problem and the RAW solution. But it’s not quite RAI, as vitakinetics should be constantly healing themselves without having to wait for mundane first aid.

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

That’s not the issue. The issue is that the Knit power specifically downgrades the highest level of damage. If you have Bruised and Injured already filled, Maimed has nowhere to go to downgrade. It’s my fault with the wording, the intent is that you shuffle along all the Injury Conditions from the most serious.

Some example scenarios with the intent. Say a character has the standard Bruised, Injured, and Maimed boxes available. Ignore how long the Specific healing time for this character is, I’ll just say ‘when they heal’:

1 - The character marks off Bruised and nothing else. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised and are fully healed.
    2 - The character marks off Bruised and Injured. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised and Injured, leaving just the Bruised. (Or, as it appears In practice, they just remove the Injured.)
    3 - The character marks off Injured and Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Injured and Maimed, leaving Bruised and Injured.
    4 - The character marks off Bruised, Injured, and Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised, Injured, and Maimed, leaving the Bruised and Injured. (It appears that you just remove the Maimed.)

(This is where it gets a little trickier.)
    5 - The character marks off Bruised and Maimed. When they heal, the Maimed downgrades to Injured, leaving Bruised and Injured marked.
    6 - The character marks off Injured. When they heal, they downgrade Injured to Bruised. When they heal again, they remove the Bruised.
    7 - The character marks off Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Maimed to Injured. When they heal again, they downgrade Injured to Bruised, and when they heal again, they remove Bruised.
    I reread your original post shortly after posting mine and realized I was a bit off on what the issue was.

I thought it was about how if you are full up you can't "downgrade the highest" from knit, but I hadn't considered it moves everything down the line at once like in Number 4. I thought you would need First Aid to clear up your Bruised so the train could move along.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroseMorgan

By the language of First Aid on Core on page 108,
    "The Bruised condition is removed when
    downgraded"
    So downgrading to nothing is a thing, and all is well.
    That’s not the issue. The issue is that the Knit power specifically downgrades the highest level of damage. If you have Bruised and Injured already filled, Maimed has nowhere to go to downgrade. It’s my fault with the wording, the intent is that you shuffle along all the Injury Conditions from the most serious.

Some example scenarios with the intent. Say a character has the standard Bruised, Injured, and Maimed boxes available. Ignore how long the Specific healing time for this character is, I’ll just say ‘when they heal’:

1 - The character marks off Bruised and nothing else. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised and are fully healed.
    2 - The character marks off Bruised and Injured. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised and Injured, leaving just the Bruised. (Or, as it appears In practice, they just remove the Injured.)
    3 - The character marks off Injured and Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Injured and Maimed, leaving Bruised and Injured.
    4 - The character marks off Bruised, Injured, and Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Bruised, Injured, and Maimed, leaving the Bruised and Injured. (It appears that you just remove the Maimed.)

(This is where it gets a little trickier.)
    5 - The character marks off Bruised and Maimed. When they heal, the Maimed downgrades to Injured, leaving Bruised and Injured marked.
    6 - The character marks off Injured. When they heal, they downgrade Injured to Bruised. When they heal again, they remove the Bruised.
    7 - The character marks off Maimed. When they heal, they downgrade the Maimed to Injured. When they heal again, they downgrade Injured to Bruised, and when they heal again, they remove Bruised.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X