X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanWatson
    started a topic Ask a Dev

Ask a Dev

Accidentally deleted the previous thread, so let's start over.

Devs include, but are not limited to:
    • Eddy Webb (eddyfate), Onyx Path in-house developer
    • Ian A. A. Watson (IanWatson), Trinity Continuum Content Lead
    • Danielle Lauzon (impernious), Storypath guru, Adventure! developer
    • John Snead (John Snead), Æon line developer
    • Leath Sheales (Bunyip), Æon developer
    • Steve Kenson, Aberrant lead writer
    • Christopher Allen (Acrozatarim), Aberrant line developer
    Reminder:
    1. Ask a Dev does not mean "ask each other." If you're going to answer someone else's question and you are not a dev, you risk your comment being deleted.
    2. If you want to start a back-and-forth dialogue or you want to discuss a side tangent, start a new thread. That's not what this thread is for.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 01-31-2021, 01:27 PM.

• pcontop
    replied
    In Phoenix Trust, third generation psions have the duration of their powers limited to 'while attunement lasts'. I always thought that psion attunement was instant - how long does it last?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
    Re: Aeon. The Level 2 Transmassion power Relay Person permits a resistance roll to avoid being involuntarily teleported. The Level 4 Transmit Person doesn't have one in the description- is the target simply out of luck?
    You’ll need to exercise some SG discretion on these cases. Firstly, Transmassion 2 doesn’t allow a ‘resistance roll’, it allows an attempt at the ‘roll away’ defense stunt. You’re not resisting the jump, you’re trying to get out of the teleporter’s range/grasp before the port takes place.

Transmassion 4 doesn’t include this by default because the teleporter has to spend several rounds in intense concentration before the port occurs. So, if the unwilling ‘victim’ doesn’t want to be teleported they have sufficient time to just walk away, no ‘roll away’ stunt required. But, say the victim is restrained and they spend the first of those several rounds freeing themselves, and they get free just before the teleport occurs, then certainly allow them to attempt a’ roll away’ defensive stunt to throw themselves clear.

Leave a comment:

• Shalmaneser
    replied
    Re: Aeon. The Level 2 Transmassion power Relay Person permits a resistance roll to avoid being involuntarily teleported. The Level 4 Transmit Person doesn't have one in the description- is the target simply out of luck?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by The Voice View Post
    On page 104 of the Core Rulebook,the Establish Grapple stunt states that its Success cost is "Variable."
    The Grappled rules on the same page state that breaking a grapple is an opposed roll, with no mention of an established Successes cost or modifier or anything.

Soooooo, how much does the Establish Grapple stunt cost? I know in Scion 2E it sets the Difficulty of breaking the Grapple, but that's not how it works in this game.
    Grapple is effectively a 0 cost stunt. If you overcome your opponent’s Defense, you can fling your limbs around them and initiate the grapple. This essentially locks you and them into a mini game where you’re moving or dragging each other around, or breaking free.

Edit to add: I should note that this doesn't preclude various characters/creatures having specific features that make Grapple harder, hence the 'Variable' aspect. A slime covered creature may increase the difficulty of any grappling attempts by 2, by way of example, which would make the Grappling stunt cost an additional 2 successes over Defense, if you wanted to buy it. Similarly, an aberrant may have a phase shift power that makes physical objects slide through them, or a frictionless mutation which makes them nearly impossible to grasp.
    Last edited by Bunyip; 05-30-2022, 02:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Voice
    replied
    So, somebody on Page 6 already asked this question but since no one answered and I'm wondering the same thing, I guess I'll ask that question too.

On page 104 of the Core Rulebook,the Establish Grapple stunt states that its Success cost is "Variable."
    The Grappled rules on the same page state that breaking a grapple is an opposed roll, with no mention of an established Successes cost or modifier or anything.

Soooooo, how much does the Establish Grapple stunt cost? I know in Scion 2E it sets the Difficulty of breaking the Grapple, but that's not how it works in this game.

Bonus question: Why is there no combined Errata document? That would be really convenient.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Trianoma4Evah View Post
    While re-reading the super-science rules for Æon, I found this nugget :

From what I recall of the Monday Meeting Notes, I thought that (sadly) the only things left in the works for the Æon era were novels.

Is there a (or several) sourcebook(s) in the works, or is this referring to another book that's already out ?

Thanks !
    It’s not in any supplement so far, but that doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen. As for what books are coming for Aeon, you may be confusing the Kickstarter fulfilment with general supplement production. The Kickstarter has successfully released all achieved products, with the last being the novels. Aeon itself has had a healthy post-Kickstarter life with many supplements released. Mission Statements, the organizations sourcebook, is still in the production pipeline at the moment. Other TC lines are getting more products as well and there are only so many writers/artists/developers to pull it all together.

Leave a comment:

• Trianoma4Evah
    replied
    While re-reading the super-science rules for Æon, I found this nugget :

The Rank 6 items that Tier 3 psions can create are described in a later supplement.
    From what I recall of the Monday Meeting Notes, I thought that (sadly) the only things left in the works for the Æon era were novels.

Is there a (or several) sourcebook(s) in the works, or is this referring to another book that's already out ?

Thanks !

Leave a comment:

• Eternl Knight
    replied
    Can I ask what buying extra dots in Digital Manipulation (Mega-Edge: 12pts per dot) is meant to do when the only benefit given is substituting for Intellect (Attribute: 10pts per dot) or Technology (Skill: 5pts per dot) in the Intellect+Technology roll to activate/use the power. It is straight up better mathematically to just buy the one dot of Mega-Edge and pay XP to improve Intellect/Technology instead. Was there something cut out of the power in editing?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    If humans eventually "persuade" a Doyen to part with the secrets of the Prometheus chamber and make one without the one-Aptitude limitation, what's the most likely outcome? Would it be the Doyen-equivalent one at 7+others at 5 or something unique to humanity?
    That’s far too speculative to be a dev question. Go answer those questions for your own game.

Leave a comment:

• Shalmaneser
    replied
    If humans eventually "persuade" a Doyen to part with the secrets of the Prometheus chamber and make one without the one-Aptitude limitation, what's the most likely outcome? Would it be the Doyen-equivalent one at 7+others at 5 or something unique to humanity?

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    As a general question about the Continuum, is traveling from one worldline in the continuum to another going to be solely the province of the Inspired/Talents?
    Not necessarily. There's probably going to be an Inspired involved somewhere in there, as breaching dimensions is probably a super-science invention at best. But there's plenty of precedent in shows like Sliders where a variety of characters are jumping to alternate universes.

Leave a comment:

• Shalmaneser
    replied
    As a general question about the Continuum, is traveling from one worldline in the continuum to another going to be solely the province of the Inspired/Talents?
    Last edited by Shalmaneser; 02-07-2022, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    I really loved the way they managed to add scale, while some scales where added by the original rules (naming size and speed, mainly).

But it is not totally clear if this increase in scale could be added to the maximum scale of size for example.

Let’s say a PK wants to fly faster, it’s possible to go up to (check Aeon) mode dots (or half for space speed). They can the scales from both sources (regular rules and PU) stack?

Making it a bit more solid, PK has Psi 4 and Telekinesis 5, they could manage to reach Speed 5 with only 1 success (regular speed), or 6 spending one extra success. Using their rule, they could add further 4 (supposing they get something like 9 extra successes). The question is not about being possible to reach scale 9, the question is about can the scales stack in this case?

I know it’s not the focus of this rules, it’s more about the scales that where described in the rules (number of targets, power and durability, intensity, etc)

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Eternl Knight View Post
    Can Bestow/Impose be used to put the effects of a power onto objects and not just people?

For example, is it possible to give Quantum Aura power the Impose power tag in order to make something (instead of just someone) dangerous to touch?
    Bestow requires the subject to be able to control the power, so I’d say no to that one (but only for that reason). Impose is under the control of the nova, so I don’t see any reason why not.

Even if the ST decides that RAW dictates no to both, there’s no reason that a character couldn’t have the equivalent for inanimate objects only.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X