X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanWatson
    started a topic Ask a Dev

Ask a Dev

Accidentally deleted the previous thread, so let's start over.

Devs include, but are not limited to:
    • Eddy Webb (eddyfate), Onyx Path in-house developer
    • Ian A. A. Watson (IanWatson), Trinity Continuum Content Lead
    • Danielle Lauzon (impernious), Storypath guru, Adventure! developer
    • John Snead (John Snead), Æon line developer
    • Leath Sheales (Bunyip), Æon developer
    • Steve Kenson, Aberrant lead writer
    • Christopher Allen (Acrozatarim), Aberrant line developer
    Reminder:
    1. Ask a Dev does not mean "ask each other." If you're going to answer someone else's question and you are not a dev, you risk your comment being deleted.
    2. If you want to start a back-and-forth dialogue or you want to discuss a side tangent, start a new thread. That's not what this thread is for.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 01-31-2021, 01:27 PM.

• Wynterknight
    replied
    Hi! I've got a question about the Biokinesis basic power Form Mastery.

The text includes this line: "Total the successes; extra Psi points (in addition to the powers’ base costs) may be required to perform all the transformations in this shape." What does this mean? I don't see anything anywhere about spending extra Psi for additional benefits. In what case would you need to spend additional Psi points, outside of the powers' base costs?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Wynterknight View Post
    1) I've got a question about boosting Psi powers. If I've only got, for instance, Photokinesis 1 but I want to boost it to Photokinesis 3 (Photonic Power) to shoot a laser beam, do I calculate the effects of Photonic Power with my actual Mode rating of 1 (giving me 1 Enhancement and 1 tag/success) or the power's Mode rating of 3 (giving me 3 Enhancement and 3 tags/success)?
    You use the character’s actual Mode rating.

2) Can you apply Aim-based Edges such as Sniper or Trick Shooter to ranged attacks with psi powers like Photonic Power or Velocity, even though they don't actually use the Aim skill?
    RAW no, but feel free to give it a try and see how it works for your table.

Leave a comment:

• Wynterknight
    replied
    1) I've got a question about boosting Psi powers. If I've only got, for instance, Photokinesis 1 but I want to boost it to Photokinesis 3 (Photonic Power) to shoot a laser beam, do I calculate the effects of Photonic Power with my actual Mode rating of 1 (giving me 1 Enhancement and 1 tag/success) or the power's Mode rating of 3 (giving me 3 Enhancement and 3 tags/success)?

2) Can you apply Aim-based Edges such as Sniper or Trick Shooter to ranged attacks with psi powers like Photonic Power or Velocity, even though they don't actually use the Aim skill?

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzykuma
    replied
    Question on speed scale for Aberrant. As in the book space speed goes up to a scale of 6. Earth to Mars in 30 minutes. What happens when a nova reaches quantum 6+ and can have space speed 7?

On start a 150xp nova could have space speed 6 and a normal speed scale of 10 which is faster.

Does the mega-dex speed still stack with flight? As written now it would not in the last backer PDF yet space speed still refutes to it as a speed boost for space flight.

Leave a comment:

• tragedyjones
    replied
    Trying to determine if this is a RAW legal Q-Tech Device*.
    Thrillshot Aerial Duelist (Rank 5, 7 Nova Traits, 20 Edges, 6 Tags)
    Designed by English Megagenius Colby Thorn, the Thrillshot suit grants the Nova wearing it the ability to fly at subsonic speed with grace, while also providing solid protection from small arms.Consisting of a sealed novastolo suit and helmet, the Thrillshot utilizes microjets in the boots, back, arms, and hands to grant aerial speed and maneuverability. Though unarmed, the Thrillshot does not prevent the Nova from wielding hand-held weapons.
    Mega-Attributes: Mega-Dexterity 2
    Mega-Edges: Toughness 2
    Quantum Powers: Flight 3
    Durability Scale: 2
    Edges: Hair Trigger Reflexes, Keen Sense (Vision, Hearing), Sniper 3, Hardy 3, Tough Cookie 2
    Armor Tags: Complete 3, Environmental 2, Soft 1
    Soft Armor Value: 3 (Toughness, Tough Cookie, and Soft 1)

Hard Armor Value: 0
    Weaponry: None
    Other: Speed Scale 3 flight

*I know that TC: Aberrant and TC: Core don't have the Environmental and Complete armor Tags)

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
    Also, in general, does Adaptability have to be activated first (with a psi point committed to keep it active) to keep it ready for a future threat, or will it activate itself in response to a threat if the psion/ad has sufficient psi points?
    Adaptation will try to activate in response to an appropriate threat. It still requires the successful psi roll, but in these instances the roll (and Psi point expenditure, if any) is reflexive.

Leave a comment:

• Shalmaneser
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I’ve been debating with myself on this one. Overall, I think that yes, you could do this, but I can’t really see the cost benefit to it. Adaptability requires sufficient dots to reflexively trigger the action. So you’d need to activate Adaptability at the required level for the non-BK effect and keep it running. Using the Telepathy example, you’d need one dot, which is simple enough. So you’d activate the first dot of Adaptability and keep a Psi point committed to it, so that if you’re later hit by a telepathic effect you can spend another Psi point to activate the shield. Why not just activate your shield and keep that psi point committed?
    My guess was that it covers cases where you don't know what other mode might be useful- Telepathic attack? Up goes the mind shield. Someone nukes your town? Teleport away a few kilometers. It would seem to give the option of using any other power the character might happen to know reflexively in the cause of keeping your character alive without having to predict the nature of the threat or to even be fully aware of it.

Also, in general, does Adaptability have to be activated first (with a psi point committed to keep it active) to keep it ready for a future threat, or will it activate itself in response to a threat if the psion/ad has sufficient psi points?

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Sothus View Post
    Lately, wht the telepath in the AEOn group, there have arisen some questions about whom can he contact (surface skim and deep scan, for example).

How much aware of the character need the PC be? I mean, is in necessary to have any some kind of noetic connection, or just knowing someone is there, even if you have never het him before, is enough? (for example, you hear someone behind a closed door. Copuld the telpepath read his mind?)
    There’s two answers to this. First, you’d need to be able to see the target if you don’t have a noetic connection to them. Just having a hunch that someone’s on the other side of the door based on sound isn’t enough. However, the second part is that you can use the Mindscan basic power first to detect minds around you - including the one on the other side of the door. This gives you a noetic connection that you can then use for other telepathic powers.

Another question is about range. Surface Skim states that it can be used at Mindscan range. Does it mean that Mindscan has to be activated before?
    If you don’t have line of sight, then yes, you need Mindscan active to give the noetic connection.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Sorry. Please delete.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
    Psiads can combine multiple aptitudes, and Adaptability always tries to activate to protect a character from harm. Would a psiad with Adaptability be able to reflexively activate a defensive power from another aptitude if used as a combined effect? (Putting up a mind shield when about to be mind-controlled, or teleporting away, without prior activation of those powers, for example)
    I’ve been debating with myself on this one. Overall, I think that yes, you could do this, but I can’t really see the cost benefit to it. Adaptability requires sufficient dots to reflexively trigger the action. So you’d need to activate Adaptability at the required level for the non-BK effect and keep it running. Using the Telepathy example, you’d need one dot, which is simple enough. So you’d activate the first dot of Adaptability and keep a Psi point committed to it, so that if you’re later hit by a telepathic effect you can spend another Psi point to activate the shield. Why not just activate your shield and keep that psi point committed?

The Psi Powers chapter in the upcoming Prometheus Unbound looks at combined Aptitudes in more detail. (As well as much more.)

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by shadowknyght View Post
    What is the Xp value needed for Aberrant to make them equivalent to a Demi-God.
    If you're asking about a direct comparison to Scion, there isn't one, as the two games are quite different. You'll have to come up with your own values, depending on the powers and abilities you want to mimic.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by pcontop View Post
    - What is it rolled to make the attack pool on each round, Psi + Mode? Is this attack roll reflexive or use an action?
    Yes, Psi + Mode. If the laser continues to attack the same target each round, I’d say it’s reflexive.

- Mixed actions work by allocating successes between the actions. How would changing the type of an effect work in a mixed action? One success per effect changed?
    Yes, you need to spend one success to actions that don’t require dice rolls in mixed actions.

Leave a comment:

• shadowknyght
    replied
    What is the Xp value needed for Aberrant to make them equivalent to a Demi-God.

Leave a comment:

• Sothus
    replied
    Lately, wht the telepath in the AEOn group, there have arisen some questions about whom can he contact (surface skim and deep scan, for example).

How much aware of the character need the PC be? I mean, is in necessary to have any some kind of noetic connection, or just knowing someone is there, even if you have never het him before, is enough? (for example, you hear someone behind a closed door. Copuld the telpepath read his mind?)

Another question is about range. Surface Skim states that it can be used at Mindscan range. Does it mean that Mindscan has to be activated before?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X