X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dataweaver
    started a topic Trinity vs. They Came From Beneath the Sea

Trinity vs. They Came From Beneath the Sea

So: They Came From Beneath the Sea is almost out now: backer previews have been released. It has been cited as the game that made the Trinity devs take a step back from producing a 50s era. Still, I find myself wondering about how the two games might be brought together.

Back in its 1e days, one of the devs for Adventure! was pushing the notion that Daredevils aren't some sort of “empowered human”; that Dramatic Editing and Heroic Knacks were metagaming constructs that represented genre conventions rather than in-setting phenomena. For better or worse, Trinity Continuum has gone the other way, with Talents being subconscious reality manipulators. But in contrast to this, They Came From Beneath the Sea has gone all in on the “genre conventions” and meaning thing: its equivalent of Dramatic Editing is “Directorial Control”. With this in mind, its protagonists are more like Talents than psychics or superhumans. Indeed, the extent to which psychic or superhuman phenomena show up, they're presented as something that's (sorry for the pun, but not really) Fishy.

So with that in mind: how do the two compare and contrast as you see them; and what can be borrowed from each to enrich the other?

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Yeah; well, we're not getting one. From what I hear, these forms are broken and limping along. One ability that they've lost is to make new forums. So don't expect They Came From… or Dystopia Rising; don't expect a Storypath umbrella forum with Trinity, Scion, etc. below it; heck, you can't even expect a Deviant: the Renegades subforum under the Chronicles of Darkness umbrella forum. Because, for reasons that escape me, that's no longer possible. The most you can expect is the renaming of existing forums, as was recently done with what was originally the Pugmire and Cavaliers of Mars forum and is now Partner Games.

Here's the supporting post.
    Thats a bummer!

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Yeah; well, we're not getting one. From what I hear, these forms are broken and limping along. One ability that they've lost is to make new forums. So don't expect They Came From… or Dystopia Rising; don't expect a Storypath umbrella forum with Trinity, Scion, etc. below it; heck, you can't even expect a Deviant: the Renegades subforum under the Chronicles of Darkness umbrella forum. Because, for reasons that escape me, that's no longer possible. The most you can expect is the renaming of existing forums, as was recently done with what was originally the Pugmire and Cavaliers of Mars forum and is now Partner Games.

Here's the supporting post.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    We need a They Came From Beneath The ..... forum and a Dystopia Rising forum.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    It's a good example of a 1950s Trinity Continuum setting. You could use the TCFBTS rules to create kaiju (giant monsters) like Godzilla and Mothra.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    That is a great way to deal damage on a less “all or nothing” effect. I had a quick look on it but didn’t pay much attention. Now I will go back with much more attention...

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

As someone who hasn't had a chance to grab TCFBTS yet, what's the high level on Damage Rating/Injury Level and Shrug it Off?
    Weapons & Damage Rating
    Most weapons are 1 Enhancement per decription text, up to 3 with enhancements. I do not see a weapons list or armor list, that is not the focus. There are weapon tags and armor tags. Damage rating are generated with the succcesses. A successful attack gives you a damage rating of 1.

Indirect Damage
    Burning house is 3-4 Damage Rating, falling is 1 per 3m, Cobra Venom 5, Reactor Leak 5 (highest)
    There are direct rating to Shrug Off or not, no attack roll.

Armor
    Armor gices you enhanements on Shrug it Off to resist Damage Ratings.

Stunt
    INCREASE DAMAGE (VARIABLE)
    You find a sensitive spot, which inflicts more damage.
    Each success increases the attack’s damage rating by +1.

Shrug it Off
    Say a punch does 3 damage rating, then you can Shrug Off the Damage Rating with a resistance roll (usually stamina) to reduce it (1 for 1). However if an effect does an injury level it bypasses the Damage Rating/Shrug it Off and fills up the level.

Health Track
    Here is the Health Track which makes a destinction between Injury Levels Flesh Wound, That'll Leave a Scar, etc and the Damage Rating (3 boxes) within each Injury Level.
    O Just A Flesh Wound OOO +1 Archtype Dice
    O That'11 Leave A Scar OOO +2 Archtype Dice
    O Last Ditch Effort OOO +2/+3 Archtype Dice
    O Remember Me OOO +3 Any Pool
    Death Scene
    Seems like a Hybrid of Storypath, OWOD/CO as essential additional success equal damage.

The writing and presentation are amazing. Really story driven, I can't wait for the final hardback and than They Came From Beneath the Grave.

Best regards
    Last edited by Graylion; 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Graylion View Post
    I'm loving They Came From Beneath the Sea also.

One of the significant changes I see is the Damage Rating/Injury Level and Shrug it Off systems. Still considering how it plays. Seems to by a nice Hybrid of Storypath and Old World of Darkness.

Best regards

As someone who hasn't had a chance to grab TCFBTS yet, what's the high level on Damage Rating/Injury Level and Shrug it Off?

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    I'm loving They Came From Beneath the Sea also.

One of the significant changes I see is the Damage Rating/Injury Level and Shrug it Off systems. Still considering how it plays. Seems to by a nice Hybrid of Storypath and Old World of Darkness.

Best regards

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    My first impressions (and I don’t have seconds as I didn’t read it properly) are very positive.

The dramatic edition rules are better established and are more restrictive, but they are more frequent (at least looks like). That is a thing I would like to bring to Talents and don’t know how.

The weapons, or the lack of them, is interesting. Knowing the system I know how to build some weapons, but not sure how other players may deal with it. Probably fine as the idea of the game is more important than the rules, but I am still very rules oriented. It’s interesting how the game can work, I certainly would use this idea for some random things, but not sure how or what for yet.

The sea monsters are awesome. The way they work and the way they managed to put all the sea monsters from movies in a single book... I really could use some of the ideas in Adventure, probably not in Core as they don’t really fit into it (as I see).

Leave a comment:

• johntfs
    replied
    I'll mostly mine it for sea-based Aberrents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X