Using Antagonist Rules for Player Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Antagonist Rules for Player Characters

I'm planning a prelude/prologue. Essentially just a fight, so we can all learn the rules. The PC's will be human baseline characters, they will afterwards go on to create Psions for the full game.

So (as has been suggested in my other thread) i'm going to use an NPC template for the PC's rather than create full characters using stats and rules they wont need right away,

To that end, how do I guage what level of threat = such a character (assume a baseline human in Aeon, no powers/talents, just gear).

Should I use the Defence listed for the NPC, or set it to 1 as per the regular character creation rules? What about Enhancement? I'd like to keep all this simple for now. Thanks

I’m not sure how much effort you’ll save going down this path. You’re essentially going to teach your players how to use rules that apply to NPCs but don’t apply to PCs, then they’ll have to unlearn and relearn everything when you move to using PCs.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I'm with Bunyip on this one. Just cobble together some very basic templates for the players to use and go at it that way. Get them familiar with the rules that they'll be using - not the ones you'll be using.

Comment

My suggestion was for replacing a ship crew by a NPC so you get some scale fight and introduce the power of the Aberrants to the players.

For characters it’s a little too simple, but can be done if the characters are really meaningless.

My suggestion as a story guide is go for a session 0 with your players so they can create their characters, and tell them the story as they learned thru whatever way. Latter in the game they may learn the details thru a flashback or something.

Now on your approach:
        I suggest you to use the defense rules (not the fixed value) as they learn it the proper way. Use the desperation pool for that roll.
        Equipment is always a issue, I would give them an standard military equipment (assault weapon, armor, knife, hand gun, survival gear)
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 01-22-2020, 10:47 AM.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
          I'm with Bunyip on this one. Just cobble together some very basic templates for the players to use and go at it that way. Get them familiar with the rules that they'll be using - not the ones you'll be using.
          Do you know where I can find some simple stats? I don't want to go through character creation with them at this point

Comment

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ade-Characters

Comment

Especially if you are going to be working through chargen after the fact with them, maybe make the characters yourself via standard character creation ahead of time, this way you'll be familiar with some of the idiosyncrasies of the process.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                My suggestion was for replacing a ship crew by a NPC so you get some scale fight and introduce the power of the Aberrants to the players.

For characters it’s a little too simple, but can be done if the characters are really meaningless.

My suggestion as a story guide is go for a session 0 with your players so they can create their characters, and tell them the story as they learned thru whatever way. Latter in the game they may learn the details thru a flashback or something.

Now on your approach:
                I suggest you to use the defense rules (not the fixed value) as they learn it the proper way. Use the desperation pool for that roll.
                Equipment is always a issue, I would give them an standard military equipment (assault weapon, armor, knife, hand gun, survival gear)
                Figure equipment is going to be a little irrelevant here. The "equipment" will be the big-ass military ships the psuedo-PCs are commanding against the Aberrant and its followers.

All the OP needs to do is come up with the skills/attributes that the psuedo-PCs (the temporary characters the players will portray in this initial fight). In some ways using the NPC Threat idea would work better but it's also a good idea ti get the players familiar with the system that they'll be using.

So, go halfway instead. Provide Attributes and applicable skills and/or Edges with the psuedo-PC serving as kind of crew amalgamation of pilot, gunner, engineer, etc

Comment

Working...
                X