Detecting Superios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Superios

So, there's a very high chance the PCs in my game will be going to Nippon. There is one PC with The Sight and one with Subquantum Sense. How would Superiors appear to those two powers?

ETA: Apparently I also invented a new breakfast cereal: Superi-Os!
    Last edited by Florin; 01-24-2020, 11:58 AM.

The Sight probably indicates as very low powered Nova or a “latent” Nova. But only to those that don’t see Quantum as Corruption. If they can’t separate Corruption from Quantum they will not understand what the Superior is, only that it’s different from any other thing.

For Subquantum Sense I would guess they will have a similar feeling, but with a better understanding off the range of the superior abilities, and identify the Superior as a different level of Nova, not equal to any of the other archetypes.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

A Superior is probably stronger than a Sub-aberrant mutant and weaker than a Divergent, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
        A Superior is probably stronger than a Sub-aberrant mutant and weaker than a Divergent, right?
        I would put on same level as Sub-Aberrant but different... maybe the most powerful Superiors would be closer to a Divergent.

Comment

Huh, I can't immediately find how they are supposed to appear to various Psi-senses. It would kinda run counter to the fiction if a large portion of psions could easily pick up on their unique nature.

I think I found my Æon study subject for the day.

edit:
          So from my read of things-

The Sight wouldn't immediately reveal a Superior. Although it isn't stated outright, I believe they still technically have Psi 1, like Talents and Baselines do, since they can still use Biotech. The sight also doesn't reveal the Quantum nature of an individual unless they are a Terat Aberrant, and only picks up on heavy Quantum Power use, and the Superior Powers are distinctly not Quantum powers according to the book.

They also aren't actively using any Quantum powers, so I could see some arguments for or against Superior Powers showing up on Subquantum Sense. I think, like the above, they might get some mixed signals from there still being a Psi trait, but also detecting some sort of augmentation. Kirlian Eye would probably see some similar weirdness, but nothing definitive.

I would say that whatever peculiarities get picked up and be uncomfortably explained by the enhanced cybernetics, with a modicum of lingering suspicion. Depends on how much you want to follow that particular thread in the game.
          Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 01-24-2020, 02:10 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I really just skimmed the Superior section of the Aexpansion. I guess I thought Superiors were channeling Quantum, but is that not the case?

Comment

I agree with you in most cases.

The sight is not as capable as any of the other senses on their areas, so I guess they need to know a superior as a superior to identify other superiors, or at least know a low powered Nova with no transcendence to understand the nature of a superior.

Subwuantum sense would be the final key to properly identify a Superior as it can sense the existence of the power not just the use of it. But still they would need to understand what a superior is to diferentiate it from a “latent nova” or undefined sub-aberrant.

Comment

I really just skimmed the Superior section of the Aexpansion. I guess I thought Superiors were channeling Quantum, but is that not the case?
                They do but not externally. They control their bodies with their quantum manipulation. But it emit almost no energy, at least detectable by a Psion. A nova with quantum sense and enough power probably can detect it.

Comment

The word Quantum doesn't even appear in the chapter at all. Back in 1e Superiors were low Q capped Novas, but they took a different direction this time.

"In 2065, after years of research and failures, Kayoko
                  Nakamura successfully tested a proprietary blend
                  of retroviruses, neurotransmitter inhibitors, and
                  radiation exposure that rewrote the genetic code to
                  remove nova and psion potential by transforming
                  subjects into a new type of Inspired human."

Comment

Superiors never officially appeared in 1e. Asia Ascendant was never published. But the Superiors that did appear in Asia Ascendant weren't presented as eximorphs (that is, cut from the same cloth as Stalwarts, Novas, and Aberrants); they were explicitly described as the powered-up version of paramorphs (Adventure!'s Daredevils, and TC's Talents).

In 2e, Superiors are described as artificially produced Stalwarts, or at least Stalwart-like. In 1e terminology, they're eximorphs. That said, they're very different from Novas and Aberrants: even a Dark Star Nova (which power-wise is very similar to Superiors) has a Quantum score, and lacks a Psi score. But Superiors don't: while their powers are eximorph in nature, nothing else about them is.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                      The word Quantum doesn't even appear in the chapter at all. Back in 1e Superiors were low Q capped Novas, but they took a different direction this time.

"In 2065, after years of research and failures, Kayoko
                      Nakamura successfully tested a proprietary blend
                      of retroviruses, neurotransmitter inhibitors, and
                      radiation exposure that rewrote the genetic code to
                      remove nova and psion potential by transforming
                      subjects into a new type of Inspired human."
                      Inspired is a very general term in the setting, that historically refers to Mesmerists and Stalwarts as well as Talents.

Superiors are meant to be implied to be derived from the same nature as Stalwarts, so Proto-Novas.

It was in unofficial 1e material that Superiors were Daredevils. That isn’t true in 2e because of the broader nature of Talents naturally occurring at all times. Instead their an intentional harnessing of the super-human potential of Novas, without the uncontrolled aspects.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Okay. So I'll figure out what I want them to be in my game, and then I'll figure out how to describe that to the PCs. I think it will fit my game better if they're not Quantum powered. So I might run with that.

Comment

Sorry about the 1e confusion.

Ian confirmed over on RPG.net that they are in fact eximorph, so in the same vein as Nova/Aberrants, but how or if that should read to the various Psi senses seems to be the question.

Comment

So, there's a very high chance the PCs in my game will be going to Nippon. There is one PC with The Sight and one with Subquantum Sense. How would Superiors appear to those two powers?

ETA: Apparently I also invented a new breakfast cereal: Superi-Os!
                            Neutral human, Psi 1. Superiors don’t even have enough quantum trace to upset bioware.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

They’re not. The Nakamura process sends them down a very controlled pre ‘first step’ of a quantum-like pathway before terminating it.

I look at them like the Stalwarts of 1E. You can see how they might be the first evolutionary steps of novas, but powered by Inspiration. There’s no quantum here.
                              Last edited by Bunyip; 01-24-2020, 05:12 PM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                              X