The Aeon Era without the Nova Age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florin View Post
    The way I've always looked at the Nova Age is that it just sped things up. So, I think it would be perfectly valid to have the Aeon era a hundred years or two in the future. You can always push back all the other events by the same amount.
    I figured that it kind of evened out. The Nova Age pushed things forward, but then Aberrant War pushed things back because a lot of stuff got the hell blown out of it.

Comment

The thing the defines the Aeon Era isn't the tech as much as it is the fact that America and Europe are now minor global players. For that to happen, you have to contrive something to kill the UN as it exists by removing the 5 permanent Security Council seats.

Comment

Originally posted by 1001100x02 View Post
        The thing the defines the Aeon Era isn't the tech as much as it is the fact that America and Europe are now minor global players. For that to happen, you have to contrive something to kill the UN as it exists by removing the 5 permanent Security Council seats.
        I think you overestimate the importance and authority of the UN. Its less the UN gives the 5 seats their prominence and more the other way around. But honestly I would imagine by the time of Aeon the UN would have been replaced by another organization.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Per the 1e Trinity Players Guide, p 92:

The decline of the old 20th-century superpowers and the devastation of the Aberrant War rendered the old structure of the United Nations, with a large General Assembly and a smaller Security Council, meaningless. In 2071, Secretary-General Claudia Santos formally restructured the UN into two divisions, the Upper and Lower Councils. The Upper Council contains a single representative from each of the almost 200 human nations. Each representative has a number of votes equal to the proportion of the population living in that nation. The Upper Council sets UN policy, under the direction of the Secretary-General. The Lower Council also contains one representative per nation; however, each nation only has one vote. The Lower Council must ratify most major policies, but the Upper Council can pass temporary emergency measures and direct many local operations.
          We haven't yet elaborated on how the UN works with the new edition, but that's a good starting point.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager
          Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I think you overestimate the importance and authority of the UN. Its less the UN gives the 5 seats their prominence and more the other way around.
            You say that, but as an example Israel would, rightly or wrongly, be in a different position if the US didn't keep vetoing every UN attempt to sanction them, and why there has increasingly been western "alliances of the willing" operating outside the UN over the last 30 years.

On a related note, one of my problems with 1E was that after reading through it I was left with the impression that the Middle East and South-West Asia were effectively absent thanks to the removal of the Chibs from the "now" of the setting following the glassing of Bahrain. Actually, that was the major flaw of the line as a whole for me: the metaplot that took the chibs and the jumpers off the board combined with the regionlocking of the orders meant that instead of meaningfully expanded on the afro/eastern futurism which was the thing that made the setting stand out, the sourcebooks dwelled in the all too familiar. I felt especially cheated that the Upeo book was the extra solar book instead of getting into the guts of the UAN and then the line got canned before the Ministry book came out.

Comment

Working...
            X