No announcement yet.

Story Path: How long does combat take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Path: How long does combat take?

Hello all, I was noticing that a single combat scene took an extraordinarily long time (nearly and hour and a 1/2) for the players (only 3) to take out a moderate threat (and 7 minor threat minions IE 1 injury level each) is this normal, or was it just slow due to it being our first experience with the combat system?

Probably it’s because of first time. My experience each round takes much less than equivalent DND.

Once you get used to the stunts (maybe get a list printed in a single page to quick look) it will take much less.

It also may take little longer if the challenge is a bit higher and the rolls are lower than expected.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I'd wager it's more getting used to the system. I've found the biggest hurdle is people getting their heads around "roll to hit, then decided what the hit actually does," part of combat Stunts. So many games have trained us to either "normal" attack or "pick a special move," that the idea that you get to pick what your attack actually does after finding out how well you rolled takes a bit to set in the order of operations is significantly different from how people are used to going.

Second after that,is that "what makes a weak/decent/strong combatant PC" is different for some systems, which can slow things down. If people make combat focused characters but put lots into their Attribute and Skill selections, without paying attention to having decent sources of Enhancements (or making use of the ones they might have but aren't thinking about), they can easily under perform expectations.

To illustrate that, a Moderate Threat has a Defense of 4. A character with 10 dice, and no Enhancements, will only hit that ~43% of the time. Meanwhile, a character with 6 dice and 2 Enhancements hits ~61% of the time, and a character with 4 dice and 3 Enhancements hits ~76% of the time. So tearing through a squad of minions can be a lot harder than it it "should" be if dice got too much focus and Enhancement not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        Second after that,is that "what makes a weak/decent/strong combatant PC" is different for some systems, which can slow things down. If people make combat focused characters but put lots into their Attribute and Skill selections, without paying attention to having decent sources of Enhancements (or making use of the ones they might have but aren't thinking about), they can easily under perform expectations.
        That’s true. The idea of Storypath attributes and skills is more about granting the minimum success while you use the enhancements to beat the difficulty and complications. If you need the roll to beat the difficulty you have a problem, the roll would be used more to grant extra stunts than to properly beat the minimum.

Comment

Usually with 4 players, I can get through about 10 rounds of combat in a half hour in an Aeon game. That is with me keeping everyone focused on the combat and not getting distracted.

Comment

10 rounds of combat is pretty much more than you need for a standard fight, probably less. Unless one of the sides is particularly resistant or cant do enough damage.

Comment

1 round of combat will do about 5 health levels of damage on average with the 4 psions in my game. There were a number of 2-4 health level bad guys with body armor and weapons. I probably like throwing higher numbers of lower threat characters at the PCs than a lot of people do. I've also been trying to work out a system like the Brute Squads from 1st edition Seventh Sea to turn 5-7 bad guys into 1 opponent in order to make them more of a threat and faster to run.

Comment

Check Core page 112, they simplify the combat flux for defeating a large number os irrelevant targets.

My appproach for large numbers is: make a regular member of the group and add scale, the larger the scale the bigger the group. The result is, your attacks against the group become less efficient, you may knock one down and another will take the place, until you get a number of good punches (increased difficulty would mean the attacks hit but not good enough for the number of targets) to knock so many of them they stop coming.

for a regular person it’s hard with even one extra scale, for a Psion possible with the right powers, for an Nova the scale they work may make it simple.

Comment

They're not irrelevant, though. They're usually around moderate threats. (It's a Legion game, so most of the characters are very competent at combat.) I'm thinking right now about counting the number of NPCs in the group, and giving them 1 enhancement to attack for every NPC over the first. Then, as they get taken out, the group gets less effective. (This is mostly for the character with a lot of defense. It'll make him actually worry about being hit.)

Comment

Working...
                  X