Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't understand damage

    If i take an Injured condition, i get a +2 Complication.

    I don't understand how that works.

    Let's say it's "minor concusions, increases difficult of aim actions"

    Ok, by how much? I presume +2. So now the difficulty is 2 higher unless i spend 2 successes on my roll?!? So i'm getting penalised either way and buying it off is pointless. If i buy it off, then does it go forever? Am i no longer concussed?

    What if it's "cracked ribs instead" now I'm at -2 defence. How do i buy that off? It's not something I use when rolling.

    I'm completely lost

  • #2
    Let's use your first example: Since it's an Injured condition, you would get +2 difficulty to all aim actions. You don't lose that until you heal the Injured condition. However, you also get a point of momentum every time you apply that difficulty by using an Aim action.

    For your second example, I would apply the -2 to your Defense, lowering it by 2 to a minimum of 1. Again, you don't buy it off until you have healed the Injured condition. Also again, you would get a point of Momentum every time you were successfully attacked. (You could change it to getting Momentum for when you were hit in the 2 point window created by the condition, but that seems needlessly fiddly to me.)

    Comment


    • #3
      It’s not very clear in the way they wrote, but the idea is as follows.

      Each injury is a condition, for example broken ribs, bruised arm, etc, that cause a certain effect, for example reduction on defense, increased difficulty when using the arm, or whatever fits. And you gain a momentum every time the condition applies to your roll. The condition can cause a -1, -2 or -4 effect, depending on the category of the condition, bruised, injured or maimed.

      You can have a limited number of conditions of each category, that’s why the boxes, if you mark all the boxes of a certain category the next injury will be of a higher category, until take the character out (or until the character chooses to be taken out to avoid worse conditions that takes longer to heal). Any injury takes some time to heal, as defined by the injury category, until it heal, its effects apply.

      The condition is not Maimed, the condition is torn arm, that is of maimed category. Basically that’s the idea.


      House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

      Comment


      • #4
        So they aren't complications at all and that was the wrong word to use as it has a specific applicatoin in the rules

        Comment


        • #5
          IIRC the use of the word complication (which shouldn't be there for confusion with the system term) is a hold over from an early version of Storypath damage rules where after combat Injuries Conditions could generate Complications based on the injury that would result in Momentum gain for dealing with until you finally healed the damage. This was then dropped since it's a bit redundant with how Conditions already work, but it's possible TC core's language didn't completely scrub this from the introductory passage.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ghost whistler View Post
            So they aren't complications at all and that was the wrong word to use as it has a specific applicatoin in the rules

            It is an Injury Condition, which has an associated Complication.

            If you go back to the definition of Conditions on page 73-
            "A
            Condition is a long-term status that lingers on a
            single character, affecting the challenges they face,
            and is usually represented as a Complication or
            Enhancement (or some mixture of the two)."

            And then look at the language of injury Conditions-
            "When
            a character takes damage, he fills in a condition box
            and takes the corresponding Injury Complication
            on any actions that correspond to the type of Injury"

            Bolded by me for emphasis. The use of Complication instead of Increased Difficulty makes a little muddy on first read, but the intent is there.


            Raksha are my fae-vorite.

            Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ghost whistler View Post
              So they aren't complications at all and that was the wrong word to use as it has a specific applicatoin in the rules
              They are not complications, they are conditions. Also they don't cause complications, they increase the difficulty of related tests.

              There are actually 2 things that make it hard to get. First is the use of complications, as they are conditions and don't cause complications.
              The second is the part that explain that a Injury condition is not the same as the 3 levels of injury (they used the same words for too many things). The injury condition is of one of the injury levels, the level of the condition define the penalty and the time to recover, but its not really the condition itself.

              Its really hard to explain, I probably would not be capable of explaining in Portuguese without a drawing, but I hope you got it.


              House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post


                It is an Injury Condition, which has an associated Complication.

                If you go back to the definition of Conditions on page 73-
                "A
                Condition is a long-term status that lingers on a
                single character, affecting the challenges they face,
                and is usually represented as a Complication or
                Enhancement (or some mixture of the two)."

                And then look at the language of injury Conditions-
                "When
                a character takes damage, he fills in a condition box
                and takes the corresponding Injury Complication
                on any actions that correspond to the type of Injury"

                Bolded by me for emphasis. The use of Complication instead of Increased Difficulty makes a little muddy on first read, but the intent is there.
                EXACTLY! The problem is, if you read the entire text, they stop using this wording and use the wording they used on previous (and different) versions of the system. Also, its not really a complication as it increases the difficulty... but its ok... I guess...

                The book is big and the system was new, so its quite impossible to deal with all the details.

                If you read the 4 basic books (TC, Scion, TCFBTS and DR:E) you get the idea easier, but you need to pick the parts that are clearer from each book (and some of the rules are different).


                House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ghost whistler View Post
                  If i take an Injured condition, i get a +2 Complication.

                  I don't understand how that works.

                  Let's say it's "minor concusions, increases difficult of aim actions"

                  Ok, by how much? I presume +2. So now the difficulty is 2 higher unless i spend 2 successes on my roll?!? So i'm getting penalised either way and buying it off is pointless. If i buy it off, then does it go forever? Am i no longer concussed?

                  What if it's "cracked ribs instead" now I'm at -2 defence. How do i buy that off? It's not something I use when rolling.

                  I'm completely lost
                  An "Injury Complication" is not a dice roll "Complication". Yes, it’s an unfortunate repetition of a word that can add confusion to the interpretation. An "Injury Complication" has an effect dependent of the injury, set by the SG and player. This may be an increase of Difficulty to specific rolls, or penalty to Defense. It may reduce Movement. It may do something else. The Example Injury Conditions on p.107 are very clear in what kind on penalty they apply and in which situation.

                  So no, if you take the "Injured” Injury Condition, you don’t gain +2 Complication. You suffer some form of "Injury Complication", the precise effect of which is decided by the SG (or suggested by the player), but the extent of which - whether Difficulty, reduced Defense, reduced Movement, something else - will be 2 of whatever it is. (Bruised would be 1 of whatever and Maimed would be 4 of whatever.)
                  Last edited by Bunyip; 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM.


                  Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Although, using them like regular Complications could be interesting. So instead of treating it like increased difficulty, if you don't buy off the complication on a roll the injury it counts as worse on the next turn, or some other widget.


                    Raksha are my fae-vorite.

                    Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                      Although, using them like regular Complications could be interesting. So instead of treating it like increased difficulty, if you don't buy off the complication on a roll the injury it counts as worse on the next turn, or some other widget.
                      That is one of the ideas I had for my unlimited injuries house rules. And that’s evil... On a first moment you are ok, a bad roll and you lose the action AND get worse. For combat actions you have the enhancements of the weapons, but for other actions you usually don’t have that +1 that would save your life.
                      the result is, you don’t try anything that you are not good at, but even not being that good in combat you may still be ok with a bruised or even a injured.

                      The other option is adding fatigue or something like that. You have a fatigue limit, if you should get tired you get fatigue, if you ignore you injuries you get fatigue, if you don’t sleep, eat or drink you get fatigue. Once fatigue get some point it start to punish you, like additional injuries but taking less time to heal. But them you system get a lot of complications...


                      House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        All this makes me wish there were hit points and that damage was taken from this. I never really got Storyteller slash anything White Wolf now Onyx Path now Storypath health system. Its not intutive to me wspite how much I love the system in other ways.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Let's see if I get the process.

                          1. You get hit
                          2. The hitter Inflicts Damage
                          3. You check off an injury box.
                          4. You make up an injury.
                          5. Your difficulties go up and if you work your injury into your difficulties you get momentum.


                          Close?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Manic Modron View Post
                            Let's see if I get the process.

                            1. You get hit
                            2. The hitter Inflicts Damage
                            3. You check off an injury box.
                            4. You make up an injury.
                            5. Your difficulties go up and if you work your injury into your difficulties you get momentum.


                            Close?
                            Yes! That's the basic.


                            House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                              All this makes me wish there were hit points and that damage was taken from this. I never really got Storyteller slash anything White Wolf now Onyx Path now Storypath health system. Its not intutive to me wspite how much I love the system in other ways.
                              I prefer the way it is, actually the thing that was disturbing me I removed by house ruling.

                              TCFBTS! Has an alternative system that is basically hit points and you use stunts to cause more hit points damage. Check that. The setting is great and there is this system also.


                              House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X