Qin Telepathy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qin Telepathy

A bit weird question but I guess it’s valid.

First a few points:
    All Qin, absolutely all, have Mindshare 1, so they have the old Babel Effect, that allow them to communicate without a common language.
    Qin, as far as I understand don’t need speak per se, they use Telepathy for every communication they need. I would say they don’t even are capable of speaking without the bio suit, as a matter of biological parts to do so.
    They have a “written language” or at least a way to digitalize their communication and transfer it by laser to other planets (probably sending a telepathic message to the bio computer that translate it into a laser that is received and converted into a telepathic message to the receiver).

Than the question:
    Besides the telepathically language, does Qin have a proper language? One that don’t use ideas, senses and emotions in raw state, but translated to a simpler communication method (tentacle gestures, noises, things like that).

Edit: A few more details that makes me think they don’t have a language.
    They have names that are essentially concepts (colors, deeds our expectations and microbes), they have the 3 castes that are generic concepts of expecializarion (physical, mental and social) and have their houses, that use Chinese numeral (related to I-Ching, so in fact they are chasing the concept behind the numeral). It sounds like their entire names are created around concepts and not words.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-05-2020, 03:29 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Yeah, they have never needed a language beyond telepathy, and pictographic writing for records. So there’s no name for them or aspects of their society beyond what humans give them, and the hexagrams.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      Besides the telepathically language, does Qin have a proper language?
      Yes. As far as I’m aware in 1st edition and now TC: AEon, we know one word of it - “ewr-be”

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Yes. As far as I’m aware in 1st edition and now TC: AEon, we know one word of it - “ewr-be”
        Well, there are the names of the planets they colonize. All those names are basically Qin by definition.

But it seams a bit strange the way they don’t use their own language when talking about themselves even with a complete lack of the proper words in human languages.

Comment

Well, there are the names of the planets they colonize. All those names are basically Qin by definition.

But it seams a bit strange the way they don’t use their own language when talking about themselves even with a complete lack of the proper words in human languages.
          I'd at least assume that they have a written language just because it's useful to have a hard copy if the bio-computer gets rabies or something. That language might not have an easily translatable spoken component (since Qin in their natural forms don't really seem to have vocal cords), but presumably the Qin developed something so they could talk without telepathy if need be.

Comment

That’s a fair point.

They’re aliens. It seems strange by human standards, sure.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

They’re aliens. It seems strange by human standards, sure.
              That’s a fair point.
              I had to do...

Comment

I could see the Qin things (planets, the under class) with alien sounding names are conceptual words that we don't have, so to make it work for we English readers, there are made up alien sounding terms. Kinda like how Tolkien had the whole thing that the word used for certain races in places in the book in English, weren't actually their names or places, even things that seem like in world terms like goblin/hobbit/orc.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                  I could see the Qin things (planets, the under class) with alien sounding names are conceptual words that we don't have, so to make it work for we English readers, there are made up alien sounding terms. Kinda like how Tolkien had the whole thing that the word used for certain races in places in the book in English, weren't actually their names or places, even things that seem like in world terms like goblin/hobbit/orc.
                  Rereading the Distant Worlds section on Qin planets, it’s very clear that the words mean something in Qin language, and it tells you what (or approximates). Alcin-Plasi = bake/freeze, Lilpatt = toxin etc.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
                    I'd at least assume that they have a written language just because it's useful to have a hard copy if the bio-computer gets rabies or something. That language might not have an easily translatable spoken component (since Qin in their natural forms don't really seem to have vocal cords), but presumably the Qin developed something so they could talk without telepathy if need be.
                    The Qin absolutely have a written language. In the 1st edition supplement Alien Encounter 2: Deception the in-character info claimed they had both. I can make a good case for them not having a spoken language, but a written language makes sense - recording information in a lasting fashion is exceptionally handy. Also, I'd assume that learning the Qin written language would make telepathic contact with Qin slightly easier, since you'd have more referents for their concepts.

Comment

1e even showed examples of Qin writing (or at least symbolism) with the various Houses.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        1e even showed examples of Qin writing (or at least symbolism) with the various Houses.

Nice I had forgotten about that!

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                        Current Focus
                        Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                        Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Working...
                        X