RIFTS: Trinity Continuum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIFTS: Trinity Continuum

I have always been a fan of the Rifts by Kevin Siembieda. Could not stand the system but loved the setting. Would make a great Trinity What If?

Nuclear holocaust ignited the destruction of the world as we know it, but it was not the primary instrument of destruction. The sudden destruction of a billion people triggered a surge in the ley lines. All that psychic energy released at once. The sudden influx of psychic energy sent the energy rippling through the mystical crossroads of earth like an earthquake. Ley lines flowed with energy that had not been felt for a million years. The energy surged and pulsed and crisscrossed across the planet at the speed of light. At ley line intersections (nexus points), rifts in space and time tore open, releasing even more energy. The earth shuddered and heaved. Millions more died, increasing the energy level of the rifts. The oceans leapt from their basin and washed over the land. Hundred of millions more died, their psychic energy drawn into the ley lines, and the natural energies doubled again. A chain reaction was unleashed that could not be halted. The continent men called Atlantis leapt from its watery grave and rose to the light of day for the first time in millennia. Its rebirth changing the very face of the planet. In its wake, the eastern coast of the United States was engulfed by the ocean, sending the energy of millions more into the relentless rifts.

From the rifts spewed forth energy that tore through man's citadels of steel and concrete like a tornado through a city built out of match sticks. For every million or billion of lives lost, the ley lines surged and destroyed billions more; a nightmare in geometric principles.

The ley lines and the rifts that they opened were not some insidious evil, nor a plot of some malignant intelligence from another world. It was an aspect of nature that science did not even know, let alone understand. Like a child playing with matches in a pool of gasoline, humankind dropped a match into the pool and was instantly engulfed. Once the match was lit and dropped, there was nothing that could be done to undo what had been done. Yet in a strange way, all this death was part of the birth of a new age. And through it all, humankind would persevere. Even the cosmic fury of a world gone mad could not completely eradicate all human life. However, it would take mankind hundreds of years to crawl out of the abyss that swallowed him. It is at this moment, as humankind finally crawls back into the light of a new dawn that our story unfolds.

-- RIFTS RPG Core Rulebook

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
    Current Focus
    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

I like the artwork in Rifts, but I’ve never played it. Also, my friend just started playing Rifts cause her girlfriend (romantic girlfriend, not friend friend) got her into it. She asked me if I knew of any armor that was functional but still sexy that her character could wear, but I didn’t really know the setting that well. Could you recommend anything?

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I told her about the Glitter Boy armor from the Coalition States, but she thought it looked ridiculously clunky, and I couldn’t think of anything else off the top of my head. She’s played a lot of video games, but this is her first tabletop RPGs.

The die is cast.

Comment

I have the image of Rifts as Post-Apocalypse Shadowrun. And that is good. Never played Rifts, but played some Shadowrun, enough to say that Rifts sounds fun...

Question: would you put magic as magic or a variation of Psionic/Quantum/Flux powers?
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-12-2020, 08:15 AM.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Rifts has the most broken system I've personally seen in TRPG - it's hell to read. The world itself is fairly interesting, but also kind of a mess. The books are also really shittily formatted. I tried to play it over a decade ago with some friends, but we kinda gave up during the first session. Savage RIFTS looks to be better in every way, but I haven't personally tried it.

Comment

As a kid my best friend and I played Rifts for years, but yeah...the system is a total show. I tried to run a new game about a year ago and I could barely finish one session. The kitchen sink setting is fun, but pretty nonsense even by TTRPG standards. That said, I enjoyed the game for years and still have a fondness for it. I've heard good things about the Savage Worlds version and I think I'd try that rather than porting it over to Trinity. That said, I am totally comfortable stealing some of the best bits of the setting for random alternate worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
              I like the artwork in Rifts, but I’ve never played it. Also, my friend just started playing Rifts cause her girlfriend (romantic girlfriend, not friend friend) got her into it. She asked me if I knew of any armor that was functional but still sexy that her character could wear, but I didn’t really know the setting that well. Could you recommend anything?
              The T-21 Terrain Hopper is a suit of power armor designed primarily for mobility, and is pretty much the opposite of the Glitter Boy.

Comment

Dataweaver awesome . I'll tell her. Thank you.

The die is cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  I told her about the Glitter Boy armor from the Coalition States, but she thought it looked ridiculously clunky, and I couldn’t think of anything else off the top of my head. She’s played a lot of video games, but this is her first tabletop RPGs.

Please keep in mind this is a Trinity Continuum forum: if someone wants to discuss how to adapt RIFTS to the Trinity Continuum rules, cool. If, however, you're looking for recommendations on just playing RIFTS, there are better places than this one for that conversation.

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager
                  Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

As Ian said, what would be your approach of magic?

my suggestion is kind of: Elemental = Quantum, Rifit/Mystic = Psi and Shifter = Flux

Comment

I would either go with a psi Which seems to match wrist the closest 2PPE War something new and completely different

Current Focus

Comment

I also think that the scale mechanic would make the perfect replacement for SDC and MDC Comparrison

Current Focus

Comment

I'd probably not hew too closely to the TC rules, but you can pull some useful things from them. You can probably slice and dice the Aeon psychic powers into something usable for all of the psionic classes. The VARGS are a big step in the right direction for the power-armor-based classes. The magic-users are probably going to require some new rules, I think. Juicers would get access to scale for speed and strength with a death countdown rule of some kind. Crazies are probably closest to Talents, but that system isn't going to be a perfect fit.

Comment

Tech is pretty straight forward.
                            You can create your powered armors / weapons / cybernetics with Aeon rules, maybe add some tags for some weird stuff, I never played, so I never went into details.

Magic can be as simple as I made in Fists of Flux (spells that are learned and invented one by one), or as complex as reform all the Psionic system to be more flexible (they learn a base effect and use it as required). Aberrant rules are too powerful, unless you limit scale to a limit and focus on power tags. that's a good option for elemental and most other powers indeed, but it would work more like magical power than spells (as D&D and Ars Magica spells).

Comment

IanWatson thanks . I referred my friend to the Rifts forum.

I honestly thought I was gonna hate Aeon because I don't like hard science fiction, but I ended up really liking it. The Aexpansion and Distant Worlds were cool too. Thanks.

The die is cast.

Comment

Working...
                              X