RIFTS: Trinity Continuum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I can confirm that Balanced was never a design goal; Siembieda is on record saying as much.

So yeah; don't expect to be able to translate everything to TC without running into cases that are overpowered.

Or the reverse you may translate it and gain more balance with a lighter power curve.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
    Current Focus
    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Well... if the idea is to keep the unbalanced, you have the right system. Aberrant is not famous for the very balanced characters (not even touching the mental unbalance). I just GMd a story where a Nova Inventor was impossible to damage by any means, the players had to call for help and lock him down in the ground for a few outs while waiting a proper containment cell. If instead of Mega Stamina 5 he had Mega Might 5 nothing would be able to handle his punches.

Scale is the best tool for dealing with this kind of difference.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

For me, and for this particular project, its more about trying to capture the spirit of the setting. That wild-eyed, anything-goes, amazingly detailed, surprisingly dark, surprisingly optimistic gonzo appeal of the setting, while leaving behind some of the elements I did not enjoy as much. These are mostly concerns of game balance (which involves more than just power level) and the frustratingly granular nature of the Palladium system.

A little calculated imbalance, if used correctly, can fall within an acceptable level of disruptive, which the original system often veered wildly outside.

That being said, lets pivot topics a bit.From one end of the power scale to the other ..

RE: MARS (Mercenaries, Adventurers, Rogues, and Scholars)

As they are defined in Savage Rifts, the MARS O.C.C's are all the classes that are defined by skills and training rather than super human powers (or singular artifacts). They are typically assumed to be human and mortal. The question become what is the best way to represent their relatively "normalcy" without leaving them severely under powered.

I am still trying to find the best of a few different approaches.

Mortal Tier, with Role Paths and Edges to represent O.C.C abilities and strengths - This is probably the easiest option. Has the bonus of being a bit more freeform in character creation and even allows the option of adding a template on top of it (Rogue Scholar Juicer? Why Not!). But its also feels like the weakest starting option without adding additional templates.

Template - Give these classes a templates with ability packages that represent their chosen O.C.C. Perhaps allow for dramatic editing while limiting that ability for other templates, or even make them Talents to represent that "something extra" to account for how they survive and thrive in such a quintessentially hostile world. Mire powerful, but less flexible.

And I am certain there are other approaches I have not considered, so all feedback is welcome.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
        The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
        Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
        Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

I'm interesting in seeing translations for the True Atlantean and the Sea Titan RCCs, hehe. The first because Atlantis is awesome and so is that race in RIFTS and the second because I just like how superhuman the Sea Titans are. (Honestly, in the later case, they are like a cross between higher scale Superiors and Novas with just Mega-Edges).

Comment

I would make MARS characters Talents. They won't be obviously powered, but it'll help them hold their own against the flashier character concepts.

Comment

The Apok from Wormwood! Have you read it, any weapon they pickup deals MDC to a supernatural creature. Which I would now read as adding Scale to an attack! Oh my creatures of the dark and besties beware!

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
              Current Focus
              Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
              Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

One of the the things I love about the Rifts setting is how deep and deeply imaginative it is. There is a vast amount of material to cover, especially with an eye for conversion. Hopefully I can make some working conversions of the core material and then branch out into some of that deeper content.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Working...
                X