Aberrant 2e Reread (Partial)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant 2e Reread (Partial)

So I woke up this morning with a hankering for rereading the section of the Aberrant kickstarter PDF about Mega-Attributes, Mega-Edges, and Quantum Powers. While doing so I couldn't help but think of a couple of things once again.

1. I really like how some Mega-Attributes give 'free' dots in regular Edges. I wish this was something that existed for ALL Mega-Attributes.

2. I really enjoyed the nature of most Mega-Edges. Related to this I immediately thought back on how I hope the body modification mega-edge gets reworked in both setup and cost. I also thought "I can't wait for fans to come and create many many more mega-edges as I see areas where more abilities would be useful.)

3. I could totally see a campaign focused almost entirely on Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges, and such a campaign would be marvelous.

4. I noticed the whole can't gain new Mega-Edges without overpowering and I once again thought a big nope! on that.

5. On powers, while I liked how many were set up, I also couldn't really dig deep into the set up of them as the whole power chain system is something that needs some development.

6. Going back again, I really really really like Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges and look forward to being able to use them in campaigns and such.

Anyone else reread the Aberrant book recently and if so what were your thoughts?

I liked the part about Michael Donighal/Divis Mal being the one who caused the Nova Age.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
      I liked the part about Michael Donighal/Divis Mal being the one who caused the Nova Age.
      It was like this on 1e, I guess you know, but I could not let it go...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I didn’t know that. I only read a couple of the 1e books and I didn’t remember reading that.

Comment

I read the core book and the Teragen book.

Comment

Ok. I am not sure exactly where it’s written, but Mal did it.

Comment

Divis Mal, or whatever name for whatever period he is in, being awesome is one of those fundamental constants that if changed would have had me nope out of the new setting. For me, in the 90s seeing a gay man in such a powerful role as to be the being that made the setting (and also having a loving relationship with another gay man) was one of those star moments that made my life better. So yeah, him being him and him doing what he did will always be a core element of the Aberrant cosmology for me.

Comment

LordHeru I totally agree. And right. In the original Teragen book Scripture was his boyfriend.

Comment

I may be wrong, but in 1e, Mal homosexuality was implied but not written as it was in 2e. Same for Scripture relationship.

The relationship between Primoris and Crackshot was seen by others as a mix between love (mostly platonic) and something more like teacher / student or father / daughter, but sometimes it was implied that he loved her in a more... personal way. But probably it’s because of the entire setting around them, and even his own understanding of his sexuality (even more if you think the view we have is from a third part, other than Primoris himself).

Dont get me wrong, I think it’s unquestionable the fact he was gay, but you can read thru the books without noticing it (as I did first time), and later (with it in mind) read it and say it was obvious. 2e did a big step by pointing it out with proper words, so it’s unquestionable the most powerful person in the world is gay.

I like the fact it was not written, because the sexuality does not define character. I love, for example, that Dunbledor was gay, because it does not matter in the books (being gay does not defines you, it’s part of what you are), and yet it gives the space to people to identify with a important character, and mirror heroes with more in common. Of course, I am not gay, so it’s easy to talk about it form outside. Just needed think out loud about it.

Comment

I don't feel like pulling it out but in one of the expansion books - maybe the Aberrant Players Guide or the Teragen guide - there are scenes of them being together and such.

Comment

I didn’t read neither Players guide (except for a few level 6 powers) neither Teragen (except for some mechanics for Chrysalis). Both are on my list, but didn’t had the time yet, so You are probably right.

I have read cover to cover core, Utopia, Elites and all the story books. I also read some of the others, but not the setting parts (I like rules... it’s my engineer brain workings, probably.)
                      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-30-2020, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Mateus Luz I’m the opposite. I like the setting, but some of the rules parts give me a literal headache.

You think he banged Annabelle? I saw it as the exact opposite (he took care of her in a really sweet nonsexual way), but I guess you could read it the other way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                          I may be wrong, but in 1e, Mal homosexuality was implied but not written as it was in 2e. Same for Scripture relationship.

The relationship between Primoris and Crackshot was seen by others as a mix between love (mostly platonic) and something more like teacher / student or father / daughter, but sometimes it was implied that he loved her in a more... personal way. But probably it’s because of the entire setting around them, and even his own understanding of his sexuality (even more if you think the view we have is from a third part, other than Primoris himself).

Dont get me wrong, I think it’s unquestionable the fact he was gay, but you can read thru the books without noticing it (as I did first time), and later (with it in mind) read it and say it was obvious. 2e did a big step by pointing it out with proper words, so it’s unquestionable the most powerful person in the world is gay.

I like the fact it was not written, because the sexuality does not define character. I love, for example, that Dunbledor was gay, because it does not matter in the books (being gay does not defines you, it’s part of what you are), and yet it gives the space to people to identify with a important character, and mirror heroes with more in common. Of course, I am not gay, so it’s easy to talk about it form outside. Just needed think out loud about it.

But heterosexuality never gets that treatment. Only same-sex relationships are treated as subtext so as not to define a character, but Tonks’ feelings for Remus needed special narrative attention in Half-Blood Prince? No one rings their hands over not wanting straightness to define anyone! Dumbledore’s identity being kept as subtext was not about it “not mattering to Harry’s journey” or whatever garbage Joanne is spewing, because there are dozens of male-female relationships we have to compare with to show that’s nonsense - same-sex feelings and relationships are treated differently because of homophobia and the shadow of Section 28 still hanging over British written children’s and YA lit.

On that note, one change I hope we see Adventure! make - the unrequited gay villain is getting tired as a trope. Let’s have Max and Michael actually have been a couple, who broke up over their growing ideological differences - as opposed to Michael’s path having been shaped by unrequited feelings.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-30-2020, 02:11 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

glamourweaver your last paragraph is a great idea! And I think both straight and non-straight romantic relationships should be given equal space.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                              The Teragen book makes both explicit, but not big deals. It doesn’t define either character, it’s merely a facet of who they are.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                              X