Aberrant 2e Reread (Partial)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

You think he banged Annabelle? I saw it as the exact opposite (he took care of her in a really sweet nonsexual way), but I guess you could read it the other way too.
    Not banged, but flirted. He saw her as a prodigy child and a responsibility (in the beginning at least), and it’s hard to change a first impression. But maybe, if he didn’t die, they would become a couple, not by preference but because both would need a support as getting old in a society that mistreated them (single people after certain age, women mostly, but men too).

I mean, he is gay, marring another man was not legal and would not help him at all, and she was a strong willed, powerful woman with a weird past and “working as a man”. What today causes problems in some families, was a issue to circulate among any society member back then.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

The thing in Dumbledor sexuality comparing to Remus/Tunks is actually 2 things.

First Dumbledore himself, as Mal, was gay before gay means what he is. He was so used to hide this side of him for the first 100 years of his life, that when it was ok to be gay he didn’t even know he could be.

Second is about Remus, Remus condition is like AIDS was when the book was written. Tonks have own backstory, but the point that SHE was willing to marry a (literally) cursed man is already a love story that is already liminal.

there is a third thing here, time when it was written. Want it or not, be openly gay in the society is possible without repercussion (at least without being hunted down) is a “modern” thing. Harry Potter was written 25 years ago? Edited by a strongly machist industry to reach kids. If it had anything other than heterosexuality we would never see the book printed.

Mal story was told in the same time the books was published, but in a different country to different people as target (more open minded for sure).
      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-30-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Mal's relationship was made plain for the first time in Aberrant: Teragen.

Aberrant: Teragen, p 12 (emphasis mine):
        In 2003, the arrival of Divis Mal transformed our small movement. This incomprehensibly powerful nova and I had met once before, and I was grateful to have him among our number. With him came Jeremiah Scripture, his lifelong companion, along with several other novas. Our movement grew not only in numbers, but also in philosophical drive.
        There are a few other places it's made obvious, like the letter from Scripture on p. 34. And of course in Adventure!, his unrequited crush on Max Mercer is mentioned.

On the other hand: I don't think Divis Mal being behind the Galatea explosion is ever covered in print in 1e. The developers spoke about it often on the old WW forums, so many people picked it up as canon even if it was never mentioned in a book. Since we have that nice juicy setting secrets chapter, we took the opportunity to lay the whole thing bare.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

In the Queer Nova Alliance in the Aberrant Players Guide, page 182, has Divis Mal and Scripture going to lunch with Andy Vance and Jake Korelli, which is basically a very clear point as well.

While being gay is not, should not be, the only element about a character when its there and its visible it is glorious to see - especially in the 90s when such things weren't as common as it might be now.

And not to get on the Harry Potter point but Dumbledore was never gay in the story itself which to me means it doesn't matter. Conversely, no matter what is stated on the subject Sirius and Remus are (not were, are) together and have been since their school boy days - the whole decade in prison doesn't change the fact that they are together.

-----

Anyway, honestly, this to me is a bit of a tangent, so I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on the Aberrant book upon a rereading.

Comment

I recall in Asia Ascendant, Donighal's involvement in the Galatea explosion was made explicit.

But then, Asia Ascendant never formally saw print.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              The thing in Dumbledor sexuality comparing to Remus/Tunks is actually 2 things.

First Dumbledore himself, as Mal, was gay before gay means what he is. He was so used to hide this side of him for the first 100 years of his life, that when it was ok to be gay he didn’t even know he could be.

Second is about Remus, Remus condition is like AIDS was when the book was written. Tonks have own backstory, but the point that SHE was willing to marry a (literally) cursed man is already a love story that is already liminal.

there is a third thing here, time when it was written. Want it or not, be openly gay in the society is possible without repercussion (at least without being hunted down) is a “modern” thing. Harry Potter was written 25 years ago? Edited by a strongly machist industry to reach kids. If it had anything other than heterosexuality we would never see the book printed.

Mal story was told in the same time the books was published, but in a different country to different people as target (more open minded for sure).
              Maybe some of that would have weight if she didn’t choose to make every other relationship in the books heterosexual, but she did, to only conveniently obscure the queer one. But it’s not like the books proportions to be about love and diversity against hate and homogeneity or anythi... wait...

Given that Deathly Hollows was printed in 2007, and at that point Rowling could get anything she wanted published (what were they gonna do, tell her no and not finish the series!?) and the book specifically explore’s Dumbledore’s background, that excuse is nonsense. Many many other YA writers of the same time frame were actually breaking the ground in LGBT rep Rowling was too much of a coward to.

The fact that the Grindelwald movie still wouldn’t do it in 2018, when it could not possibly be more character relevant, pretty definitively proves how empty Joanne’s pathetic gestures toward inclusivity are (if her refusal to engage with actual Native American critics and her promotion of transphobic monsters... and oh yeah - THE GOBLINS WHO HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE PHILOSOPHERS’ STONE - didn’t already prove that point.)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Talking about Harry Potter: Not going to deep dive here, or we are going to have a exhausting discussion far off topic.

But I agree that the gay people is being mistreated in media in general.

Comment

Re: The rule mechanics

I hope they're cleaned up and explained better. Sometimes when I read the manuscript, it seemed like there were sections of the rules that the writers knew about, but didn't reference or write about to make things clear for us. I also hope that they maybe expand on some of the Mega-Edges, the ones that could be used for making music or art as well as science projects. Not all of us want to play hypermad scientists.

Comment

One thing that happened was, the Aberrant team was not working on the final version of Core, as it was not finished when they started. Danielle (I think it was her) commented about it in one interview.

Some of the rules make more sense when you get the first backers pdf (the one form beguinning of last year), and many things changed. other rules are more random, I think using some references from core manuscript and maybe nit final backers pdf.

But it was largely debated during KS, there were one day with more comments than most of other KS have during the entire time. Any way, let’s wait and see, the changes in Core and Aeon were pretty good, so will be in Aberrant.

Comment

Also keep in mind that, even with the same text, there's a big difference between a plain text manuscript and a fully-laid out rulebook. Part of the purpose of having a good layout is to help information flow better, which helps you understand and retain it better. If you've participated in one of our previous Kickstarters and read a manuscript vs. the final product, you probably understand.

Aberrant is the upper end of complexity for the Storypath system, so reading it in a big block of plain text is going to be extra-challenging. Some stuff that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now might just require layout in order for the puzzle pieces to come together.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        If you've participated in one of our previous Kickstarters and read a manuscript vs. the final product, you probably understand.
                        To the point where I generally skim the manuscript, read the parts I'm SUPER interested in closely, and ignore the rest. I really don't like reading the bare manuscript. I love reading the fully laid-out books, though.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                          Mal's relationship was made plain for the first time in Aberrant: Teragen.

Aberrant: Teragen, p 12 (emphasis mine):

There are a few other places it's made obvious, like the letter from Scripture on p. 34. And of course in Adventure!, his unrequited crush on Max Mercer is mentioned.

On the other hand: I don't think Divis Mal being behind the Galatea explosion is ever covered in print in 1e. The developers spoke about it often on the old WW forums, so many people picked it up as canon even if it was never mentioned in a book. Since we have that nice juicy setting secrets chapter, we took the opportunity to lay the whole thing bare.
                          And just in case "Lifelong companion" is too subtle, there's page 89, Scripture's writeup.

Jeremiah Scripture
                          Mal’s lover and lifetime companion is trying to heal the current wounds within the Teragen, to bridge the gap between the various ideologies - a move that makes him unpopular with almost everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X