Core Book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    It occurs to me that you could possibly use these guys to do something similar to Monarch from the Godzilla/Kong films, especially since Storypath's scaling rules would seem to work well with kaiju.
    For what it's worth, They Came from Beneath the Sea uses the scaling rules in exactly that way.

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    I'll also note that Talents would work extremely well if you wanted to do something along the lines of Powers or The Boys in the Aberrant setting.
    And most of the Watchmen would be Talents, too; even Ozymandius could be handled as a Talent, albeit an extreme one (though my inclination would be to handle him as a Darkstar, or the thus far non-canon Tier 3 counterpart to Talents). Only Dr. Manhattan is clearly a Nova, transitioning into Aberrant territory through the course of the original series as he gradually loses touch with his humanity.

Comment

Can someone give me a rundown on the storypath system?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

Comment

I would put Ozymandias as a Talent with high facets (at least Intuitive 5) and a lot of gifts, but still Talent. Of course we have no idea how would work a tier 3 talent, we know Mercer can time travel, but it’s all we know.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Shenron View Post
          Can someone give me a rundown on the storypath system?
          The free Storypath system preview is on Drivethru here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/246766
          (There are a few on there - I think that’s the most recent.)

If you’re familiar with WoD/CoD games, various things should be recognizable.

Storypath works off d10s, you build a dice pool from (usually) Skill + Attribute, and roll against a Target Number of usually 8 (so 8, 9, 10 are successes). (This can change depending on the character Tier, but is usually static.) You count the number of dice that roll successes, add any Enhancement you have for the roll (basically, a bonus number of successes that you get if your pool rolls a single success), and use these to buy off Difficulty (which is pass/fail if you can/can’t buy it off) and Complications (which you can choose to not buy off, and while you’ll succeed, something else will go wrong).

If you fail the roll, you get Consolation, usually in the form of a point of Momentum that goes into a group pool that any player can spend from to increase their dice pools, as long as the group agrees.

With your successes, you can buy Stunts, which show the effect of your roll. A combat stunt might be Inflict Injury - which causes damage to your opponent, or you might choose Disarm, Knockdown, or Shove. These costs different numbers of successes and have different effects. Combat has a lot of specific examples, but in the general system if your roll has more successes than you need, you can spend your successes on giving Complications to your opponents, Enhancements to your friends, or increasing your Defense.

That’s about it in a nutshell. The Core includes systems for Action-Adventure scenes (including combat, chases etc.), Procedurals (seeking clues and putting it all together), and Intrigue (the webs of relationships and bonds between people). It also includes modern day setting info, rules for Super-Science crafting, and rules for Talents - larger than life action movie type characters who always seem to have luck on their side.
          Last edited by Bunyip; 04-05-2020, 10:53 PM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I would put Ozymandias as a Talent with high facets (at least Intuitive 5) and a lot of gifts, but still Talent. Of course we have no idea how would work a tier 3 talent, we know Mercer can time travel, but it’s all we know.
            For what it's worth, the reason I would put Ozymandius at Tier 3 “more than a Talent” status is the same reason I'd put the trajectory-bending marksmanship from Wanted into post-Talent territory: as extreme as Talents can get, they always stay in the realm of the possible — the exceedingly improbable, sure; but still possible. Bending the path of a bullet or catching a bullet bare-handed, to me, crosses that line from “improbable” to “impossible”, as would a number of Wuxia stunts like running along tree branches that can't possibly support your weight or walking across snow without leaving any tracks. To me, these sorts of things aren't just “someone who's really good and/or lucky”; they're somebody using his skill to do the flat-out impossible.

So yeah; I'd treat Ozymandius as “more-than-a-Talent”. But then, there are versions of Wonder Woman that I'd treat the same way: not as a superhuman per se, but as a human who can conduct superhuman feats due to her training.

Comment

diegetically as “simply” a super skilled and smart human in his setting, you can argue he’d have to be - but when you put the rules of character’s own setting aside and ask “what does this character do, and how does this system best represent that” I think he’s best represented as a Mega-Intellect Mega-Manipulation Nova, complete with growing Transcendence detaching him from the value of human life on the individual scale.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

diegetically as “simply” a super skilled and smart human in his setting, you can argue he’d have to be - but when you put the rules of character’s own setting aside and ask “what does this character do, and how does this system best represent that” I think he’s best represented as a Mega-Intellect Mega-Manipulation Nova, complete with growing Transcendence detaching him from the value of human life on the individual scale.
                Your approach makes sense, maybe put him as an Stalwart makes more sense, as he seams limited to a bit over human capacity. Yet, the Transcendence you are seeing, I see it more like a psychopathic behavior after years fighting crime as he was (even fighting crime as they did is the border to madness).

Comment

Your approach makes sense, maybe put him as an Stalwart makes more sense, as he seams limited to a bit over human capacity. Yet, the Transcendence you are seeing, I see it more like a psychopathic behavior after years fighting crime as he was (even fighting crime as they did is the border to madness).
                  Depends on Stalwart mechanics. We’ll see when Adventure! 2E comes out

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

For what it's worth, the reason I would put Ozymandius at Tier 3 “more than a Talent” status is the same reason I'd put the trajectory-bending marksmanship from Wanted into post-Talent territory: as extreme as Talents can get, they always stay in the realm of the possible — the exceedingly improbable, sure; but still possible. Bending the path of a bullet or catching a bullet bare-handed, to me, crosses that line from “improbable” to “impossible”, as would a number of Wuxia stunts like running along tree branches that can't possibly support your weight or walking across snow without leaving any tracks. To me, these sorts of things aren't just “someone who's really good and/or lucky”; they're somebody using his skill to do the flat-out impossible.

So yeah; I'd treat Ozymandius as “more-than-a-Talent”. But then, there are versions of Wonder Woman that I'd treat the same way: not as a superhuman per se, but as a human who can conduct superhuman feats due to her training.
                    I got your idea, but some of the gifts already in the line to impossible. Approaching him as a Stalwart is an option for the limit breaking, yet I would still keep him as a Talent (one that is really above average, but yet a talent) for one simple reason, he never did nothing impossible (catching a biker mid air is sure a did, but you can gather a lot a luck there). Also, if he is not a Talent, neither is the Comedian, he is punches made holes in concrete, for example. Batman (different Universe, same publisher) can also do lots of Ozymandias deeds, and he is a talent.

I think talents in comics are a bit more extreme than in pulp and action movies.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Depends on Stalwart mechanics. We’ll see when Adventure! 2E comes out
                      True! Let’s call him a natural Superior...

Comment

Or maybe not natural. Ozymandias came from a wealthy family, and his parents might’ve had access to gene therapy techniques to help him grow up fitter, smarter and more attractive than almost any of his peers - an early version of Dr. Nakamura’s Jinketsu Process, in other words.

My name is Ozymandias
                        Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair...

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Random note: check out a book called The Tenth Justice by Brad Meltzer. The Supreme Court justices are all named after members of the Watchmen, including Ozymandias.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I got your idea, but some of the gifts already in the line to impossible. Approaching him as a Stalwart is an option for the limit breaking, yet I would still keep him as a Talent (one that is really above average, but yet a talent) for one simple reason, he never did nothing impossible (catching a biker mid air is sure a did, but you can gather a lot a luck there). Also, if he is not a Talent, neither is the Comedian, he is punches made holes in concrete, for example. Batman (different Universe, same publisher) can also do lots of Ozymandias deeds, and he is a talent.

I think talents in comics are a bit more extreme than in pulp and action movies.
                            Ah; you're going with the movie version of Watchmen; I was going with the comic. The comic version of the Comedian never punched a hole in concrete; he was just a guy with a gun.

I could see Ozymandius as a Superior, or a Darkstar Nova (the way Tony Stark is a Darkstar Nova): he did, after all, catch a bullet with his bare hands.

Comment

Working...
                            X