Prometheus Chamber Replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prometheus Chamber Replication

Sooo I was wondering if there was a way for Psions to replicate the Promtheus Chambers so that there can be more than one of each type of them. That and can they make a sort of Super-Prometheus Chamber that basically can create a psion of any type rather than being specific to a particular Aptitude. (I do know that chambers can be fixed, healed really, as proven by the destroyed QK chamber coming back after years of work).

The reason I ask this is because I had the idea of a campaign where a bunch of psions (and secretly not so secretly psiads) decide that they don't want to stay on Earth and so 'steal' a Leviathan and leave. If they are able to have chambers with them then they can be self-sustaining but if they don't then they need to still keep a connection with Earth and the psi orders. (Though as I think on things in greater detail writing this post that might not be the worst thing, having to keep an eye and ear and some hands on Earth could be interesting plot points.)

As an aside an alternate way to go about doing this is to create an alternate Aeon Setting where the Psions are servants (really slaves) of the governmental system that dominates Earth and her immediate colonies. In order to escape the hold the Terran Peoples Republic have over them a number of psions and psiads (and talents as well) work together to sabotage the government, steal the Prometheus Chambers, and seize the new prototype mega-Leviathan (which is capable of traveling to stars farther out then the current ones due to some mcguffin) in order for them, their families, and their friends to escape the totalitarian grip of Earth government.

I could see Aeon Society being at the center of the operations designed to gather the rebel psions together in order to make the whole escape possible. These rebel leaders would be the ones that would lay at the heart of the new psi orders that would be formed during the rebellion and made more firm during the travel to a new home. (While most orders could stay the same some changes to the Ministry would have to occur as a government body wouldn't really work in this version of Aeon.)

Anyway, let me stop here before I go on and make an essay that goes far beyond my basic question - which is can additional Prometheus Chambers be created.

Officially, the Orders have monopolies on the various kinds of Psions, and they have their monopolies because of the uniqueness of the Prometheus Chambers. So no, they can't be replicated or modified.

Of course, a good chunk of that is a holdover where it was assumed that Order and Aptitude were joined at the hip. In 2e, I would have no problem house ruling it to say that Prometheus Chambers are difficult to copy, and the copies are inferior to the original (largely in being slower and thus not able to activate as many Scions, and not being copyable themselves). And alterations would still be impossible.

Comment

Presumably when humanity takes control of their own evolution, that tech is in their future. In the early 22nd century, no one has any idea how to make new Prometheus Chambers yet. Even SK’s reconstruction of her chamber required use of the Doyen provided core that survived the assault. So the answer to “is it possible?” - yes, the Chambers are tech and humans given full understanding and tools will be able to engineer them just as the Doyen do. But no one has achieved that knowledge yet and it will be a major plot point when they do.

Hey... you know who would be helpful toward this end? Mega-Intellect Novas. Almost like overcoming the Doyen’s leash requires humanity (and other sapients) overcoming their animosities and uniting and that’s a central theme of the game...
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Officially, the Orders have monopolies on the various kinds of Psions, and they have their monopolies because of the uniqueness of the Prometheus Chambers. So no, they can't be replicated or modified.

Of course, a good chunk of that is a holdover where it was assumed that Order and Aptitude were joined at the hip. In 2e, I would have no problem house ruling it to say that Prometheus Chambers are difficult to copy, and the copies are inferior to the original (largely in being slower and thus not able to activate as many Scions, and not being copyable themselves). And alterations would still be impossible.
        Right now Prometheus Chambers - the core process of them - are Black Box technology. Yeah, they activate Psion, but we have no idea how. Figure is a few decade - perhaps with the aid of friendly Mega-Int Novas humans will crack the process, but that's probably something that's going to wait for Trinity Continuum: Away the hell in the future.

Comment

For what it's worth, my point had less to do with that and more to do with “all Telepaths come from the Ministry's Prometheus Chamber; all Clairsentients came from ISRA's Prometheus Chamber; all Electrokinetics come from Orgotek's Prometheus Chamber; etc.” Given that every Order has Psions with every Aptitude, they either have an exchange program going on or each Order has a way to activate any Aptitude.
          Last edited by Dataweaver; 04-05-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

The Doyen would oppose any attempt, and I do honestly believe that officially sanctioned attempts would be requested, if not enforced.
            Heck, I can see the Psi Orders wanting to have a spare/secondary chamber.

The problem is, no one has a solid lead on duplicating/replicating key components of Doyen design.
            That said, I do think it is the kind of thing Palket would love to study and be involved with. Would probably result in a meteor to the face though.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Trinity 1e has a passage where the Qin give humans a piece of biotech as a gift. The humans grab it, run off, study it for weeks. Can't make heads or tails of it. It's too complex. They come back, hat in hand, and say "we can't figure this out. Can you tell us what it is?" The Qin look confused, and say "it's a vase."

Now imagine a level of biotech that makes the Qin scratch their heads.

That's basically what we're dealing with in the Prometheus Chambers.

Is it possible for humans to figure them out? Absolutely. Have they yet? No.

The Psi Orders guard them jealously: if you do accidentally something to break one, you've essentially killed off that order's future prospects for recruitment. When even their location is a closely-guarded secret, they're definitely not going to let just anyone examine them. You have to be extremely well-trusted by the proxies to even get a chance, and even then, dunking a new psion takes priority, so your time is going to be limited. And any research is probably going to be slapped under an NDA, exclusive to that Order.

The number of people who have had a chance to examine any single tank is few. The number who have had a chance to examine more than one tank can probably be counted on one hand.

It's probably going to take some time for researchers examining and comparing at least three different tanks before they can learn enough to start growing a brand new tank of their own. It's a challenging task, but not impossible, and perhaps even doable by an enterprising group of PCs.

Ian A. A. Watson
              Onyx Path Community Manager
              Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                For what it's worth, my point had less to do with that and more to do with “all Telepaths come from the Ministry's Prometheus Chamber; all Clairsentients came from ISRA's Prometheus Chamber; all Electrokinetics come from Orgotek's Prometheus Chamber; etc.” Given that every Order has Psions with every Aptitude, they either have an exchange program going on or each Order has a way to activate any Aptitude.
                They have an exchange program. AEon facilitates most of it.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

While this does make me want to a) destroy the Doyen and b) find a way to increase psiad numbers and strength it also makes me quite intrigued at the future of the setting.

Soooo in some ways a better campaign potential is for the group to, on their external adventurers in outer space, find ancient ruins or something that could aid them in either increasing the rate of psiad manifestation or lets them develop alternatives to the Prometheus chamber.

As a random question I wonder which Proxies would best agree to actions that work to against the mysterious plans of beings outside of humanity.

Comment

So I figure the Prometheus Chambers are just hard to replicate but nothing is impossible. The thing is it represents higher levels of tech secretly given to a lower tech level civ. So if people weren't Busy with several Armageddon's they could attempt to replicate facets of the Prometheus Chamber idea. Like I wager they will first maybe try to crack the tech and make a chamber but the prototypes would be weaker, but perhaps without the secret genlocks and traps the Doyen built in, this is a situation where somebody tries to replicate the chamber with only some data on them rather then having access to them fully. I'm thinking a situation like a splinter group of Psions, Scientists, and Talents like stealing the known data on the Chambers and trying to replicate it after they Wormhole jump away from earth. The Downside is it probably won't be as powerful and reliable (remember the Doyen can do even more since when given the prep they custom gene surgeried the first Batch of Psions into Proxies) but since they would be missing a lot of crucial data and are essentially reinventing them they wouldn't be including the Doyen failsafes and species control methods. They may make machines that actually make Psiads rather then Psions because of this. It probably also would be something that takes a bit more resources and prep per individual.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

To be fair, a machine that makes psiads would be quite an achievement. As this stand, the public consists of three kinds of people where psionics are concerned: baselines, latents, and psiads. A baseline will only ever be a baseline; sticking one in a Prometheus Chamber will do nothing at best, same with a psiad. Putting a latent in a Prometheus Chamber gives you a psion.

Because of their comparative versatility, psiads are not “lesser psions”; and given sufficient evolution of the psiads as a whole, you might eventually (in a hundred years or so?) see psiads who can attain the power that psions currently have — at which point the psions will have to have developed some new edge or else be considered the “second class psionics”.

Now, you're of course free to do whatever you want in your own games; the point here isn't to say “don't do it” in terms of putting a ninth Prometheus Chamber on a starship. Rather, it's to point out what is the impact on the setting of doing so, and why it hasn't happened before. If you do it, it's because there's something very unusual going on with your ship — something that's unlikely to be replicable. Your ship might have a Tony Stark style Nova on board who built and continues to maintain and operate this “ninth Chamber” as a bit of Nova-Tech that can only be operated by him; or the ship may have uncovered a ninth Prometheus Chamber core on one of the first worlds they visited, with no idea where it came from out how it got there. Either way, if word of what they have gets out, they're going to be in the spotlight of international attention like you've never seen before. It's “well, we want to cut ties with Earth; so let's build a Promethean Chamber”.

To draw an analogy, it would be kind of like a 19th-century warship's crew deciding that they want to arm themselves with a Nuke.
                      Last edited by Dataweaver; 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

While I agree a Mega Intelligent Nova would help, the nature of Psi and Quantum make impossible for a Nova to develop a chamber because it’s one of the few things that is out of their reach (and probably time and dimension travel), they just can’t handle the noetic template handling needed. A Mega Intelligent Nova would be really helpful on helping Psions/Psiads on the job, creating the genetic manipulation part, and maybe help identifying and duplicating the physical part of the process, while the others focus on the gnostic template part.

I know a Superior can create Inspired Psionic Items, and I would say a Nova can do that too, But I don’t know if a Nova can do a Powered Psionic tech, even worse, a rank 7 (or 8) item like a Prometheus chamber.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

We know gravity exists. We can see the effects of gravity. We can measure the effects of gravity. But we can't SEE gravity. We can't sense it directly. I would expect a nova to be able to do something similar with noetics. If they know it exists, they can probably figure out a way to work with it.

Comment

Probably not on their own, though. Figure that our genius Nova would need to team up with a proxy-level psion to do this.

Comment

We could always have had pre-Aeon SK work with a nova on the development of something that while not a Prometheus Chamber could work in a similar way. Maybe, right before the whole situation with the Doyen appeared her memories of that deal were erased - maybe at her choosing. Our band of player heroes could be sent to chase certain clues that would lead to the treasure trove of her ancient work.

By the way I am all for the idea that a Mega-Int Nova could create something that works to manipulate psi forces even though he himself can't directly touch it.

I am also open to the potential of there being the potential for something in certain psiads that when they get dunked into a prometheus chamber they don't come out psion or unchanged they instead come out super-psiad.
                              Last edited by LordHeru; 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X