In-Setting Power Descriptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Setting Power Descriptions

So maybe I should already know this but I am curious if both the Aptitudes and Modes are known, the same with Psi ratings.

So would a Psion say I have the Psychokinesis Aptitude and know Thermokinesis Mode at the Flash level. Do they understand Mode dots. Also, would they be able to say they are Psi 4.

Basically, what are out of game mechanics and what is an actual in-universe fact that can be said.

As a note if this is something that is game specific well then, players and storytellers what do you do in your own games?

Well, as all psions have access to all powers of their modes, it’s impossible for them to know if they have 2 or 3 dots, all they know is that they are spending more or less energy on different modes. It’s not like Discipline dots that you have or not, it is more like an skill that they use and get good on using, but can do all since 1st dot.

The modes and effects related to them are known, and it is available in the opnet. What they probably have is some definitions, like, a master in TK is capable of lifting an X-wing from the swamp, while an trained Psion can maybe lift an elephant. Also they may be capable of feeling how much psi the Psion spent on different modes and compare to know which ones he is better.

About differentiating a Psi 3 from a Psi 4, I don’t think they can, at least not using dots. As I see, Psi is much like an attribute, and as Might for example, it’s not a 5 step scale, it’s more like a continuous line whit stronger people having a larger portion of the line marked. What they can measure is is the duration of effects and range, but even those can be extended by committing psi points or having more or less successes.

On my Aberrant campaign, the characters don’t know how much quantum they have, but they know (thanks to an invention) who have higher and who have lower quantum, and can also mark it in a scale. With an scale they would be able to define what is Q4 or q5, but They would not call it Q5 or Q4 for sure.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Mateus pretty much has the basics of how it appears in universe. Psions (and others who make a study of psi) know the Aptitudes exist and the Modes they divide into. From study of the progression of abilities, they know the general order of power and how hard it is for an individual to do these things. From there, it’s reasonably certain that some system-minded researcher or practitioner has ranked the progression from 1 to 5, just like our system has dots. Some orders/groups/societies may even assign ranks or descriptors to individuals as they progress in their learning and power.

Added to this, clears can easily and accurately tell the Psi rating and psi points of psions around them. With the nature of psi being somewhat in the mind of the beholder, some will see this as easily measurable ‘luminescence’, while others might actually think in terms of numbers. Whatever their specific view, the clears can give an accurate rating along the scale.

Short version - the human study of psionics is enough of a science that someone has measured and rated the normal powers per Mode, and with clears and (previously) Chibs it’s not too hard for them to define and describe individual practitioners by these ratings.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I knew about the ranks, but always thought about it as a “show me what you can do and I promote you”, like when you make an eye check (and get 9/10 or 15/20), or when they give you a grade based on a test. But make sense a Clair or Chib being capable of seeing thru the system somehow, than can measure the target capacities with powers not by testing. Also a Rex would be capable of check a person and define all the attributes with certain easy, what makes a IQ test a bit unnecessary, and also makes betting in some sports much easier.

The psi points I always had the feeling it was like a Fuel display in the car, you know how much you have of the total, but not a liter or gallon value with precision, and a Clair would be capable of “seeing the manual” to know how much “psi fit on your tank”. But they would measure in a not described psi power unity, like Joules or Watt-Hour but for measuring psi, not in psi points (maybe that’s what you said when telling “accurate rating along the scale”).

Comment

Thank you both Mateus Luz and Bunyip for your very interesting comments here. I don't really have much to add but I did want you both to know that I read what you guys wrote and its awesome. Things like this actually enhance the game for me by making the setting more alive, and I really like that. How people discuss their powers and abilities in game is very fascinating. So thanks!

Comment

I would add that it was not always like that. In the Nova age, and especially the Adventure era, peoples' understanding of the powers in play were much more limited. It also doesn't help that Quantum Powers and Mega-Edges don't come in neatly tiered ladders of effects. This lack of structure to them makes it harder to establish a taxonomy of powers. Not impossible, mind you. But harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              I would add that it was not always like that. In the Nova age, and especially the Adventure era, peoples' understanding of the powers in play were much more limited. It also doesn't help that Quantum Powers and Mega-Edges don't come in neatly tiered ladders of effects. This lack of structure to them makes it harder to establish a taxonomy of powers. Not impossible, mind you. But harder.
              Even on psi powers, Psiads are capable of combining their powers and it makes much harder to identify aptitudes and modes, even more with the fact that nobody could help them. All the knowledge and measuring happened because they studied it pretty hard in the last 15 or so years before the official start in 2123.

Comment

Also: it's entirely possible that Aberrant-era psiads might not even be as structured as having to buy the powers in a particular order; and if TC:A! does things reasonably close to the way that 1e worked, mesmerist powers will have virtually no structure to them. The lack of mention of Aptitudes and Modes prior to the Æon era may not just be a lack of understanding.

Comment

I had that idea, but the devs disagree.

Before Aexpansion there was a discussion in the forums about it, and Bunyip pointed that the modes are not an structured learning process, but the way it work basically. The dots in each mode are more like the ability to handle a single specific power, that is very flexible and versatile and all, but still a single power.

Edit: Just to note, it’s possible that Mesmerists are not properly Psiads, and so the rules for Mesmerists not necessarily are compatible with Psiads.
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 04-11-2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Mesmerists aren’t psiads. They’re like a limited form of sub-psi user drawing on Inspiration rather than true psi, with specific singular powers rather than flexible Modes.*

* 1st ed. I’m extrapolating to 2nd ed, but won’t know until it’s done.
                    Last edited by Bunyip; 04-11-2020, 11:13 PM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Also: it's entirely possible that Aberrant-era psiads might not even be as structured as having to buy the powers in a particular order
                      As far as I’m aware, they do, because those are the psiad rules.

The lack of mention of Aptitudes and Modes prior to the Æon era may not just be a lack of understanding.
                      It’s a lack of quantifying, not understanding. Elements and compounds existed before chemistry was a known science, we just got around to naming things.

To my mind Bhurano had spent time learning and defining Aptitudes and Modes, and probably named them such. But for most of her life who was she going to tell? Then the Doyen came along and the proxies happened, and I’d suggest the aliens saw the definitions in Bhurano’s mind and shared them among the proxies to help define the training centers they were compelled to create.

Comment

Definitely. Novas are individualistic and walk their path to their own beat. In universe, a nova who shoots lightning, a nova who shoots pure quantum force and a nova who shoots molten metal that they conjure from nothing have no idea they’re all using the same power, reskinned to suit their theme.

But psions are Unity. They work together and learn their powers to a system. There may be variations to be had but they share the same structures and the access to powers per level is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                          Thank you both Mateus Luz and Bunyip for your very interesting comments here. I don't really have much to add but I did want you both to know that I read what you guys wrote and its awesome. Things like this actually enhance the game for me by making the setting more alive, and I really like that. How people discuss their powers and abilities in game is very fascinating. So thanks!

You’re welcome. I’m always happy to chat AEon. (I’ll be happy to chat Aberrant once it’s released.)

Comment

Gah! The forum ate my response when I tried quoting something. grumble grumble.

In shorter response I LOVE the fact that a major difference is that while Novas might use the same mechanics they aren't using the same powers, while those who are noetic users (both psiad and psion) use the same powers both mechanically and thematically.

I also absolutely love the whole Unity element that Bunyip mentions, that is really cool to me.

I further really like the fact that Mesmerists (and Stalwarts probably) use a sub-form of their later power framework powered by the lens of Inspiration, its really interesting and fun both setting wise and game wise.

But really I like the fact that psi users - be they from the far future, the present, or a distant past - basically use the same set of Aptitudes and Modes because that is how psi is manipulated even when certain other elements vary somewhat.

-----------

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

You’re welcome. I’m always happy to chat AEon. (I’ll be happy to chat Aberrant once it’s released.)
                            I recently got back into the mood of the Trinity line - first through reading the core book and now through rereading Aeon. As I go through them I often have some random little thoughts that I would love to share - to create discussion - but don't feel like a full thread would make sense. Basically, I wish we had a "Random Thoughts" thread that anybody could post in and respond to when they had some random ideas and such they wanted to share.

For example a basic thought like - reading QK* and Psi Cloak had me think "Oh, so that is how Palpatine escaped detection by the Jedi".

*I skipped to it after rereading Psiad rules again, I'm not back on Biokinesis (yes, at the begining)

Comment

First, now that we have Psiad rules, I really like the idea of Mesmerists being different somehow. The same for Superiors being different from Novas and probably from Stalwarts (as they, at least don’t have an Inspiration value).

I mean, I love the Idea of having a Stalwart that becomes a Nova through training, or start with a Mesmerist that eventually becomes a Psiad, but the idea of different rules is interesting.

I am working in 3 different settings, as this quarantine gives me a weird time schedule with a kid full time at home and with no space for running all he wants, and I would love to see different rules for different things. Scion and DR:E have different approaches to how powers work, and it’s really amazing how we can do some small changes and get so much difference in the setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X