In-Setting Power Descriptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
    Basically, I wish we had a "Random Thoughts" thread that anybody could post in and respond to when they had some random ideas and such they wanted to share.
    Great idea. We do now! http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ativity-thread

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
      Mesmerists aren’t psiads. They’re like a limited form of sub-psi user drawing on Inspiration rather than true psi, with specific singular powers rather than flexible Modes.*

* 1st ed. I’m extrapolating to 2nd ed, but won’t know until it’s done.
      If I were writing TC:A!, this is how I would do it. Likewise with Stalwarts: both would be presented as variants of the Talents found in TC core, with the single most noticable difference being that mesmerists get Psychic Gifts and Stalwarts get Dynamic Gifts, instead of the Luck and Aptitude Gifts that Talents get.

As far as I’m aware, they do, because those are the psiad rules.
      To be fair, we know of at least one difference between Æon-era psiads and Aberrant-era psiads: the former all have access to the basic quanakinetic abilities, and the latter don't. It's still possible that the psiads of TC:Ab can develop their powers out of order (though if they can, it's probably harder than learning everything in the proper order) — unless you're speaking to the authorial intent, in which case so be it.

It’s a lack of quantifying, not understanding. Elements and compounds existed before chemistry was a known science, we just got around to naming things.

To my mind Bhurano had spent time learning and defining Aptitudes and Modes, and probably named them such. But for most of her life who was she going to tell? Then the Doyen came along and the proxies happened, and I’d suggest the aliens saw the definitions in Bhurano’s mind and shared them among the proxies to help define the training centers they were compelled to create.
      It wouldn't be just Bhurano. There's Project Pandora (who would love to hear any insights that Sara might have concerning psiads; in fact, unless there's a compelling reason why she'd avoid them, I'd expect that she'd be an ally, patron, or even member of Project Pandora). The fact that you've got Projects Tantalus, Pandora, and Proteus looking into Talents, psiads, and novas does mean that classification schemes are being developed during Aberrant, for what that's worth.

Comment

Mesmerists aren’t psiads. They’re like a limited form of sub-psi user drawing on Inspiration rather than true psi, with specific singular powers rather than flexible Modes.*

* 1st ed. I’m extrapolating to 2nd ed, but won’t know until it’s done.
        Yes. And No.

Mesmerists are psiads in the sense that they're naturally-occurring psi-users. They're not psiads in the sense that they use the same rules for psiads as featured in the Aberrant Players Guide (for 1e) or the Æon Æxpansion (for 2e).

Mesmerists were presented as using Inspiration both because it's a lot easier from a game design standpoint to just say everyone's using the same power source, and also because no one in-setting is aware of the difference yet. As far as they can tell, there are three kinds of Inspired who manipulate Z-rays in three different ways. It's a little longer before they realize that Z-rays are, in fact, different energies, and the "Inspiration" that Mesmerists draw upon is indeed psi.

Lemme quote something that Stew Wilson wrote for the aborted Trinity Storytellers Handbook to explain:

Originally posted by transcript of a presentation to scientists working on the Nakamura Process, December 16, 2122
        We have known for a while that there is a single genetic trigger present in both psionically-active individuals and our novas. We now know that this gene is set early in life by one of a range of protein chains produced in reaction to background levels of taint. Given different amino acids, this gene fuses itself into a certain position, allowing the subject to develop further talents only in the area that this 'switch gene' has determined.

The required protein chains appear to be a natural biological reaction to both taint and noetic energies. We have isolated a third class of protein chains that could be used to activate the gene, but given the mutation of the other chains it is likely that the state of the planet has not been conducive towards their creation for at least one hundred and fifty years.

This discovery is important, as we now know that there are classes of protein chains. The swamping of the planet in quantum energies at the end of the twentieth century lead to the chains that precipitate the nova state becoming more complex and increasing the likelihood of their uptake, directly leading to the Nova Age. Likewise, with the coming of the Proxies the psion-trigger chains have grown more complex and the nova-triggers have returned to mid-range production.
        tl;dr: the protein chains used to trigger the noetically-active state were different from the ones that later developed in the Nova Age, which is why Mesmerists are generally more lower-powered than psiads, and could pick powers a la carte rather than requiring a progression like psiads. Of course even the team putting together the Nakamura Process don't fully understand what's going on and their explanation isn't complete, but they're on the right path.

The explanation isn't quite the same in 2e, but it's along those lines: Mesmerists are a kind of psiad, but no one quite understands what that means yet.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Working...
        X