The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Inspired by LordHeru, this thread is for those random Trinity Continuum thoughts, setting ideas, conspiracy theories, new technologies etc. Post something you want to share and let other people comment on and build from it.

May I throw in a couple of grounds rules? First, these are random thoughts. If people want feedback on how something would work within the system, please make it clear. If you want to go off on strange tangents that have nothing to do with the published Continuum setting or rules, please let us know that as well. This is the space for head canon, fake histories, and ‘What If’s’. It’s also the thread for ‘What would happen to the system/setting if I change X’?

Over all, respect each other, take inspiration from here as you find it, talk ideas with each other, or seek critique if you’re up for it.

Sound good? Let’s go!
    Last edited by Bunyip; 04-12-2020, 12:37 AM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Great idea. Good for those 1 post threads that are forgotten after a few hours. We just need to use it up so we don’t lose it.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Love this!

Us having a thread for those thoughts that we want to share but doesn't need its own thread is brilliant.

I will have my initial random thought being the one that I used when mentioning the possibility of its existence - reading the Quantakinesis base power of Psi Cloak had me thinking 'Oh, so that is how Palpatine hid his Force abilities from the Jedi."

My other current random thought - upon starting to reread the psionics chapter of Aeon in more detail then before - was how awesome and potentially useful the whole being able to manifest any power as long as they are willing to accept the increase psi cost and difficulty. It doesn't say this but I could even imagine that a psion - at risk of death - could access even powers in aptitudes other than his own main one, as long as he has say at least one dot in it (representing it as an auxiliary power). The thing about this that I love is how it totally can be used to represent the one off, super special, action that heroes and villains often pull in a crisis. "I thought you died" a person says, "I did, but I'm better now" referring to his unconscious use of Survive or something else.

Comment

I like the Force / Psi parallel you are tracing. It’s perfectly workable on that for a TC: StarWars. Force users in general are Psiads, but they don’t usually train every mode equally, not even in the same aptitude, Telekinesis is the most well known, followed by Mindbend, while sensing force is probably the basic for the training. Most of the other modes are specialized or restrict to dark side users, but I would leave them a available for my players if they were not Jedi or at least if they are regular Jedi Knights (there are powers the Jedi don’t teach their apprentices), other force users would have all them available.

I recal Jedi being capable of astrogation without computers, healing by touch, sense feelings in others, lightning throwing, speaking binary (at least understanding), sensing at distance, sensing the future and past, hiding themselves, fast running and long leaping, among several others that can be simulated using Psi better than any other system.

Comment

Just wanted to comment that I love how Psychometry is normally limited to days based on dots but that it can, in certain cases, be months or years or centuries, or more. This is great as it both handles the rules on an adventure level "what storyteller wants their players to be able to ruin plots by past seeing" but also opens up doors to adventures, you know of the kind where a psion goes to a world and the clair senses something from the distant past that unlocks a puzzle to be solved.

==

​Yep Mateus Luz. Though I would also add that some versions of the Jedi might be better off with us waiting for Adventure! rules for the Inspired as I could see them as a sort of combo Inspired with access to a set of Gifts that in Trinity terms might be a mix of Stalwart, Mesmerist, and Daredevil. Though, of course this is just my opinion.

The thing that makes it all the better for me is when I read a power and can relate it to something else, it makes coming up with uses for the power all the better.

---

So random idea upon reading the Clairsentience that I know would have to be an AU - imagine somehow Doctor Bhurano developed Clair as one of her main primary aptitudes. Also imagine her being able to say get five dots in the Psychocognition Mode. Now imagine her using that and knowing that setting of the event would attract something hostile - and she made plans for that. An AU like this gives her more agency, and the setting an advantage to maybe stop or alter certain things before they happened.
          Last edited by LordHeru; 04-12-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

What exactly is an AU?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              What exactly is an AU?
              Alternate universe. I was saying that I don't think this is something that would work for the setting as written. But that it could be an interesting idea to think about.

Comment

I don't know if this is the right thread for my tinkering,but I wanted to develop an idea or two.

I have been playing with the Trinity Continuum rules set with a few homebrew conversion projects ( currently Rifts, XCOM, and TMNT & Other Strangeness).

I was running into to trouble because in the current rules, there really isn't a strong way, concise way to model Fear and Terror. This is especially important for settings where supernaturally induced fear is a common occurrence.

I can just throw a complication at the player, or develop a Condition, but I am having trouble deciding the best approach.

Any Feedback is welcome!

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

I have some rules I write to try to bring a Cthulhu like feel. Take a look, maybe you like or add something, it’s not any close to finished.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...78#post1376478

Comment

Reighnhell, Dystopia Rising uses a mental stress track similar to the damage track to represent fear and stress. Instead of being Taken Out, you're Burnt Out. Another thing to consider is using Fear and Terror as Complications. I think that might work better, because it gives the PCs the ability to buy off the complication and act despite their fear, like true heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                      I don't know if this is the right thread for my tinkering,but I wanted to develop an idea or two.

I have been playing with the Trinity Continuum rules set with a few homebrew conversion projects ( currently Rifts, XCOM, and TMNT & Other Strangeness).

I was running into to trouble because in the current rules, there really isn't a strong way, concise way to model Fear and Terror. This is especially important for settings where supernaturally induced fear is a common occurrence.

I can just throw a complication at the player, or develop a Condition, but I am having trouble deciding the best approach.

Any Feedback is welcome!

I would LOVE to hear more about your "TMNT & Other Strangeness" conversion work. I think some mutant animal PC's are greatly needed.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                      Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

I find it funny when after rereading something things in it suddenly click, wbere they didn't before.

Case in point, just reread Psipnic Powers section and the elctrokinesis Aptitude clicks with me. To the point I could see playing them and having lots of fun.

But then I reread Orgotek and fell just as much in love with said Ordee as I did the aptitude itself. (Also i love how his wife is a Talent, though too bad he aint gay, lol, though since I got Divis Mal I cant complain tooo much.)

Speaking of wife being a Talent a Gift needs to exist to let one gain longevity, just sayin!

Anyway yeah it was a random "got it" moment.

As a note, as a Psiad I was thinging Telepathy for the secomd but some pf the nuances there have yet o fully cluck, so gonna need to reread.

Also, anyone else who basically wluld creare a Psion with basically one dot in each otger mode, cause im pretty sure I would.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                          Speaking of wife being a Talent a Gift needs to exist to let one gain longevity, just sayin!
                          It would cause a huge discussion, like it happened to the Longevity Mega Edge in Aberrant... I would Houserule as: They die of old age when there is a good reason to not be alive.

Comment

I think we need open avenues for the late game. An aberrant can gain and spend a lot of xp and still be playable. A psion gets to proxy level, and then there just isn't much else to do with the xp.

I think that Psi should go over 7. These levels would get more psi points to burn, but no new modes higher than 7 (because sometimes less is more). On the other hand, there would be fewer restrictions for the templates. So, at Psi 8-10, Psions could have higher secondary modes and unlock new Aptitudes (one per PSI?), while psiads would get higher aptitudes caps all around and unlock psi-style aptitude combination. The fun here would be to mix and match the modes from different aptitudes in new, unexpected ways. Also, they could self-harmonize their own multiple aptitudes for added combinational fun.

These levels would be very hard to get - advanced genetic therapy and psionic fine-tuning, as this was not designed by the benefactors nor anywhere near mankind's evolution level. Also, Psi 10 would place a character on the path to sublimating, and there should be rolls to resist this in stressful situations. I imagine their presence would call all types of attention universe-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                              A psion gets to proxy level, and then there just isn't much else to do with the xp.
                              Paths are a good use of XP. You save on skills and edges and get contacts. It also fleshes out the character's life. (I also told my group not to expect to get Psi 6. Psi 5 is totally fine, but Psi 6 would require all the things listed in the book plus a story event. That slowed them down on going straight for the requirements for that.)

Comment

Working...
                              X