No announcement yet.

The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Psi above 5 is tempting, but there is a long way to do that. Not only the requisites, but also a good story arc just for that. I would say there is no more than 100 Psi6+ characters in Aeon Era, so the characters would become really important in their areas.

Anyway, my suggestion for the lack of development after reach Psi7 is, each Psi7 Psion has a unique 7 dots power, and the ones presented in the book are the ones developed by the proxies. I would allow each character to develop an entire new power related to the aptitude, for example, the 7 dot VK is strongly related to Augendis, you can create a power that is basically Mass Resurrection or Cause Pandemic, related to the other 2 Modes. It would not consume much XP, but for sure would make the characters unique.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Aeon era:
      - Hawai’i is the FSA’s “Taiwan”. The dominant (Australia aligned) Constitution Party claims to be the lawful government of the USA. The opposition China-backed Sovereign Party wants to crown an indigenous constitutional monarch and reestablish the Kingdom of Hawai’i as it’s own country rather than claiming the mainland.

- Replacing Turkish nation state with a return in a slightly more Ottoman direction, with the New Sublime Protectorate. Like the real word Islamic Republic of Iran, it styles itself a religious republic, but unlike real Iran, it’s clerical oversight council is multi-faith, including Sufi Muslims, Shi’a Muslims, Orthodox Christians, Coptic Christians, Yazidi Kurds, Orthodox Jews, Progressive Jews, Druze, Zoroastrians, an ISRA rep, etc etc. The Israeli-Palestinian Commonwealth is in its sphere of influence. Since the devastation of Western Europe, Southern Italy and Iberia have been drifting into its sphere and the Vatican may get an Archbishop on the council soon. It is the major naval power of the Mediterranean, and several political parties in the northern UAN align with it over pan-Africanism.

- Iran is called Iran in its Aeon era secular republic state, it didn’t go back to calling itself by the Western given name of “Persia”.

- An Indian superstate does not dominate the Bharati Commonwealth. Rather Tamil, Maharashtra, Odisha, Punjab, etc are co-equal members with Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal...
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I really like the idea of Hawai'i being the FSA's Taiwan, I think I'll use that in my game if it ever comes up.

I think this is sort of hinted at in the books, but it is my head cannon that Mercer is actually the founder of the Paraoh's Lightkeepers. He was a light keeper before he formed Aeon, and through that work he met most of the founding members. Some time later he ends up stranded in ancient Egypt and ends up forming the Lightkeepers after he realizes that without them he would not have been able to form Aeon. He then continues to use the Lightkeepers to act as the moral compass for Aeon.

Comment

The Aeon era Council is not secret. The Trinity has too much institutional power for that level of unaccountability, if it’s supposed to be a positive force in the word.

All members of the council must be UN confirmed by majority vote for staggered 5 year term, renewable once for a second term. A 2/3rds vote can remove a remember ahead of schedule. The Chair of the council is a UN appointee from outside the Trinity, generally a retired statesperson. The 3 heads of the Trinity divisions are promoted by the council from within and then UN confirmed. Currently six Order reps are Proxy appointed and UN confirmed (the Upeo rep has yet to retake their seat, but may do so soon).

The only hereditary Mercer seat is on the board of the Matthew Mercer Foundation, not on the council.

Styles is still alive and is keeper/curator of the Babel Dossier. Only the 3 division heads know about him on the council. He advises them directly rather than holding a formal leadership position.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
            Reighnhell, Dystopia Rising uses a mental stress track similar to the damage track to represent fear and stress. Instead of being Taken Out, you're Burnt Out. Another thing to consider is using Fear and Terror as Complications. I think that might work better, because it gives the PCs the ability to buy off the complication and act despite their fear, like true heroes.
            Good suggestions! I am going to workshop this and see how it runs.

Re: TMNT and Other Strangeness

Truly my gateway RPG!
            My initial idea is to use the Superior Template as a guideline. Each Animal Type/Order/Species gets two dots on a choice of 3 three attributes and dots to buy their mutant traits. I would build the traits similar to Superior powers, which are pretty much structured like enhanced edges. Needs more tinkering, but it feels like a good start!

The Artificer's Workshop - A collection of Exalted Artifacts
            Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
            The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
            Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
            Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              The Aeon era Council is not secret. The Trinity has too much institutional power for that level of unaccountability, if it’s supposed to be a positive force in the word.

All members of the council must be UN confirmed by majority vote for staggered 5 year term, renewable once for a second term. A 2/3rds vote can remove a remember ahead of schedule. The Chair of the council is a UN appointee from outside the Trinity, generally a retired statesperson. The 3 heads of the Trinity divisions are promoted by the council from within and then UN confirmed. Currently six Order reps are Proxy appointed and UN confirmed (the Upeo rep has yet to retake their seat, but may do so soon).

The only hereditary Mercer seat is on the board of the Matthew Mercer Foundation, not on the council.

Styles is still alive and is keeper/curator of the Babel Dossier. Only the 3 division heads know about him on the council. He advises them directly rather than holding a formal leadership position.
              Styles alive is one of the things that I like most in the Aeon from Aeron Era. Of course he was there since the beginning, but the fact he is alive after 200 years in the job makes me smile.

I would say, as he is one of the most powerful Psiads (still psiads, after the Proxification of Sarah), creates a strange situation for Pandora. Aeon know little about Psiads, while the top tier of Aeon have more than a few of them, that are fully aware of other Psiads in the history and, yet, want to spend a few millions every year to keep the appearances.

Comment

I am watching Tales From the Loop, while I have already read the RPG book (that is a piece of art by itself, with a simple but well structured system that works great for "kids in bikes" style story), the series brings lots of ideas for Talents working on Tier 3 powers with time travel, dimension travel and a lot of weird stuff. Strongly recommend and would love to run a campaign around it using Storypath (for a more adult exploration of the setting).

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Styles alive is one of the things that I like most in the Aeon from Aeron Era. Of course he was there since the beginning, but the fact he is alive after 200 years in the job makes me smile.

I would say, as he is one of the most powerful Psiads (still psiads, after the Proxification of Sarah), creates a strange situation for Pandora. Aeon know little about Psiads, while the top tier of Aeon have more than a few of them, that are fully aware of other Psiads in the history and, yet, want to spend a few millions every year to keep the appearances.
                  Personally I’d keep him a Mesmerists, never having made the evolutionary jump to Aeon-style Psiad. He’s a master of very potent Mesmerists powers with all his experience, but they keep that pulp eclectic element, rather than making the jump to the high sci-fi Modes of the Aeon era.

Comment

Personally I’d keep him a Mesmerists, never having made the evolutionary jump to Aeon-style Psiad. He’s a master of very potent Mesmerists powers with all his experience, but they keep that pulp eclectic element, rather than making the jump to the high sci-fi Modes of the Aeon era.
                    One could always let him have some particularly thematic stalwart gifts aligned as mesmerist gifts. This does work because there are psi powers that enhance the body as well and such.

Comment

That a probably the case, but yet, on the level he would be working the differences from him and a mid level Psiad would be little and hard to point from in game (maybe not by the rules, but from the characters view).

Comment

Thinking of running the God-Machine Chronicles, but in more of an X-Files style, using the Trinity Continuum core rules and having my players make Talents that work for 9. Had a random idea that the I Ching would be the key to predicting and combating the God-Machine, might even have the players cast hexagrams at the table ...

Comment

Imagine if Clairsentience was designed so that while it was harder to peer into what was going on within say one's own world or system or even sector of space you could somewhat easily learn about events going on in distant regions of the galaxy. (This isn't so important in current history, but imagine say a galaxy spanning human civilization where the psions at the galaxy's edge could still learn what was going on in the core, for all that they couldn't force see what was going on in their own system.)

From an out of game perspective the real beneift is that the ST can basically give newsreel like clips of events going on elsewhere in the galaxy.

Comment

I've been pondering Super Science in relation to the Trinity Continuum. Particularly as it relates to Talents. I have been tinkering with a campaign setting that I am calling the "Heroic Age" which focuses on Talents, and Flux based phenomena which have changed the world into a pulpy, weird science version of our own. In this setting, human enhancement and weird gadgets are a must.

So, I am pondering what types of powers and special abilities might be incorporated into Advanced Science and Inspired Science devices and organisms. Using Extras and Gifts is great, but some powers that I want to allow are not.

Here are some house rules I am considering:

Advanced Science
                            As a general rule, I am going to allow Aeon Trinity era Hard tech (with some re-fluffing) to be possible via Advanced Science. This will also include Aeon Trinity era drugs. As always, a good concept that drives the plot should be awarded.

Inspired Science
                            This is something that interests and frustrates me, as there is little to go on. So for my purposes, I am going to allow the “powered edges” mentioned in the rules to include Anomaly Powers for Organisms, and Superior Powers, and Basic Noetic Powers for any type of invention. Creation of devices that mimic levels in noetic aptitudes will require massive amounts of Flux energy and a great many resources. Creating devices that mimic Noetic Modes must be purchased with Flaws (see Trinity Continuum pp 98-99). Each dot of flaws allowing for the purchase of a dot of noetic modes. Such devices can be purchased as a Wondrous Item (see Trinity Continuum pp 67). I would treat such an item as a 5 dot Artifact with a number of dots in Modes as the item has flaws.

Examples:

Neutronium X Suit (Super Suit)
                            The Neutronium X Suit is a form-fitting garment composed of a multi-function “genius material,” created by the super scientists at Sunstreak Labs. It generates a static charge that repels dirt, water and oil, making them ideal for use as superhero costumes. It contains a “dumb” wearable computer that’s about as sophisticated as a normal smartphone. The cowl, glove and boot attachments can turn it into an impromptu environment suit. Heroes and villains often customize their Neutronium X suits with extra features or adjustments for style, including logos, patterns, “muscles” and stylized shapes.
                            System: Neutronium X suits protect the wearer from moderate extremes of temperature (typically −50° to 60° C) and acts as Class Two soft armor and has an internal personal computer (equivalent of a smartphone of PDA). Artifact Cost: •

Project Pegasus Jump Room (Wondrous Item)
                            This hypertech Device uses a process known as “Vorta teleportation” that uses Flux energy to teleport persons and objects over great distances. Air Force Space Command developed these teleportation "jump rooms" in the early '60s, from early developments since 1947. The first teleportation event was conducted to Mars in 1964. Due to space and air constrictions, the maximum number of people that can jump at one time is three. It is typical to send just one or two people on a jump or to send important cargo.
                            Hypertech Tags: Environmental Protection (•••)
                            Inspired Powers: Transportal (Gateways) (••••)
                            Flaws: Built in Complication (••), Limited Resource (••)
                            Last edited by MythAdvocate; 04-16-2020, 02:08 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                            Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

I like your idea for anomaly powers as Powered Edges. It is one thing I miss in the super science is that Talents can’t build a Jet Pack just because there is no Gift that allow the character to fly.

I know you can add the Propulsion tag from Aeon armor that allow flight with scale 2 or space flight scale 1, but it would turn the armor into Advanced science, not Inspired Science.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                                I like your idea for anomaly powers as Powered Edges. It is one thing I miss in the super science is that Talents can’t build a Jet Pack just because there is no Gift that allow the character to fly.

I know you can add the Propulsion tag from Aeon armor that allow flight with scale 2 or space flight scale 1, but it would turn the armor into Advanced science, not Inspired Science.
                                Yeah. We need more jet packs in these games. Rocketmans pack and Syndromes Aero Boots all need to be a thing. The Anomaly power "Flight" handles that quite well for cinematic action.

"Flight — The creature has some ability to fly, either in perfect form or in a limited manner such as leaping and gliding. When flying, it can move two range bands instead of one as movement."

Advanced science versions all work, but are not nearly as flashy.

Last edited by MythAdvocate; 04-17-2020, 08:55 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                                Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Working...
                                X