No announcement yet.

The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Sunday we had the session 0 of TC: Spy Stories, based much in Mission Impossible.

It was different because we jumped to action, presenting characters in the middle of a mission and ending with a cliff hanger for a proper start next session.

The players used Inspiration to do flashbacks explaining why they are doing what they did (planting equipments, accessing computers, things like that), it was fun (to me at least as SG).

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

So my copy of Distant Worlds just arrived and while I read it on pdf there was something glorious about holding it in my hands, flipping through it, and making room on my shelf but the new TC book.

I then flipped to a random page and before I knew it five minutes had passed as I was reading more and more pages.

Comment

So I have long had the idea of a modern day person finding themselves transported either into the distant past or into a foreign world with literally nothing but some simple clothes on their backs - no resources or tools or equipment. From this initial starting point of zero they will explore and survey, collect resources, research, and build - first a small base before expanding into say a town, city, state, and nation.

From a Trinity Continuum perspective they could be transported by something Flux, Psi, or Quantum based (using Core, Aeon, or Aberrant) or maybe it could be what they think is a virtual world once Anima comes out and we get more detail. No matter what rules we use the idea is that the players have access to powers that let them much easily produce, research, and build and use their skills in an environment lacking in technological or societal support.

Ideas could be exploring interesting sites around the area, fighting the wildlife that is present, meeting others (be they natives or other Travelers/Unbound) and figuring out what to do with what little they have.

PS. Oh, so as I was typing this out I couldn't help but think another direction could be the Myst like direction in that the players touch slash use something they shouldn't slash didn't know the details of and now find themselves suck in a beautiful but haunting place with little more then the clothes on their back and the message they found on the floor about a great travesty performed and such. This idea, while starting similarly, would go more on exploration adventure then base or colony building, at least in the initial run,though I could see it expanding into that sort of campaign later on.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          So I have long had the idea of a modern day person finding themselves transported either into the distant past or into a foreign world with literally nothing but some simple clothes on their backs - no resources or tools or equipment. From this initial starting point of zero they will explore and survey, collect resources, research, and build - first a small base before expanding into say a town, city, state, and nation.

From a Trinity Continuum perspective they could be transported by something Flux, Psi, or Quantum based (using Core, Aeon, or Aberrant) or maybe it could be what they think is a virtual world once Anima comes out and we get more detail. No matter what rules we use the idea is that the players have access to powers that let them much easily produce, research, and build and use their skills in an environment lacking in technological or societal support.

Ideas could be exploring interesting sites around the area, fighting the wildlife that is present, meeting others (be they natives or other Travelers/Unbound) and figuring out what to do with what little they have.
          I mean, that's basically the plot of Mars planetary romances like "Lieut. Gullivar Jones: His Vacation" and "A Princess of Mars." Michael Moorcock's "Kane of Old Mars" sends the titular Michael Kane both to Mars and millions of years in the past. There's a ton of other material in the genre to yoink from.

PS. Oh, so as I was typing this out I couldn't help but think another direction could be the Myst like direction in that the players touch slash use something they shouldn't slash didn't know the details of and now find themselves suck in a beautiful but haunting place with little more then the clothes on their back and the message they found on the floor about a great travesty performed and such. This idea, while starting similarly, would go more on exploration adventure then base or colony building, at least in the initial run,though I could see it expanding into that sort of campaign later on.
          Myst is part of the Trinity Continuum as far as my own headcanon is concerned.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager
          Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Minecraft. My son is playing it, so I am helping him. But the idea is basically the same, and somehow fit in to Anima Glass idea.

Comment

Ignore this...
              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-28-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

I mean, that's basically the plot of Mars planetary romances like "Lieut. Gullivar Jones: His Vacation" and "A Princess of Mars." Michael Moorcock's "Kane of Old Mars" sends the titular Michael Kane both to Mars and millions of years in the past. There's a ton of other material in the genre to yoink from.

Myst is part of the Trinity Continuum as far as my own headcanon is concerned.
                I'll have to look those up, well not Princess of Mars as that one I have knowledge of, hehe.

But additional ideas to yoink from is always great.

That said ideas aren't often the limitation for me, its mechanical rules and such. Which is one of the things I love about Trinity Continuum, that is how variable it can be. When we get Adventure! we will get some of the low key power stuff that might be useful in situations like this. In addition is my hope that 'someday' we get rules for survival and hunting and gathering and buildign and stuff - actually, its one of the reasons I bought Dystopia Rising. (Only one of, though, hehe)

On Myst oh yeah, oh very much yes. I mean I know you could never provide anything near official rules for such a thing but I see its influence in so many ways, glorious glorious ways.

Heck, even with just the Core there is nothing, NOTHING, stopping us from playing a Myst-like game. Players would be Talents of course and that makes sense since the characters in Myst often make leaps of knoweldge to solve puzzles and build stuff that fit what a Talent does. Honestly, I could see the D'ni, and the players who are touched by it, having a set of gifts that are a combination of both what Talents and Stalwarts do - since how else would one explain how Atrus goes to an age with nothing and builds a vast and highly complex facility. hehe

But even more the whole many worlds things works for Ages and Flux as the energy of the Star Fissue works too.

Even more Trinity is less hack and slash, though it obviously has combat elements, than some other systems making the more cerebral elements of Myst fit right at home.

---

It really comes down to the fact that the two ideas of something like Myst and something based on people find themselves transplanted to somewhere else and must survival and prosper wit little more than what they carried with them are two core campaign ideas that I always always end up coming back too. And I probably will till I find either the perfect source material for that or I play an epic game using said concept. hehe

Comment

I was thinking about things Super Spies have in the movies and suddenly I remembered of Poliposition, a animated series from the 80s. 2 siblings had some special cars with AIs and an infinite number of gadgets that make the cars capable of flying and floating on water.

Also Mask, with their cars and bikes that turned into other vehicles.

I think I will use the Variable tag from Nova powers to enable them to change tags in the vehicles, for example changing the wheeled to flight system or changing Cargo for weapons.

what do you guys think?

Comment

Poll Position, a cartoon loosely inspired by a video game. It was on the air around roughly the same time that Knight Rider was.

Comment

I've had quite a few ideas in that vein. I thought it was especially interesting what happens when you compare important events from the Aeon timeline to the pre-first contact Mass Effect timeline. For example, in Mass Effect, humans only discover the Charon Relay in 2149. Compare that to Aeon:

When much of Florida sinks into the ocean in 2054, what happens if an Aberrant's desperate attempt to evacuate Disney World via Warp dumps thousands of refugees into a parallel universe?

The Aberrant War of 2056-2067 is a great time for someone to get dimensionally shunted by an unstable Aberrant power.

Aberrants attacked Sydney in 2106. Odd interactions between an Aberrant teleporter and the Spatial Integrity psi power could get a teleporter REALLY lost.

The Psi orders have teleporting spaceships. Maybe one disappears during a botched jump?

The Second Aberrant War is also a prime time for teleportation accidents.

Individuals or even entire groups from TC getting dumped into the Mass Effect universe is a potential game changer for early human interactions with the Citadel races, but isn't completely ROFLSTOMP territory as long as you don't port in a high powered Aberrant.

xxxxx

Another idea of mine involves the Clairsentience psi power Least Resistance. As written, it seems to only involve physical journeys, but the flavor text implies it can be used in other arenas. Can you - by default - state "I want to accomplish goal X" and use the power to smooth the path? Could you do it with the proper Edge?

xxxxx

The Psion/Psiad dichotomy leads me to consider other noetic permutations. By default, PCs can learn powers from any Aptitude, even if they're limited by Auxiliary Mode rules. What if you want to play a character who is very talented at more than one aptitude but explicitly cannot learn certain others? Comic book and TV psychics are often limited to two related types of power, such as Jean Grey being a telepath and telekinetic or Drusilla the Mad being a telepath and precog, but they're generally not able to use other abilities on a consistent basis. Sure, you could just play a Psion or Psiad and not take certain powers, but here is another option.

I think combos like Biokinesis/Vitakinesis, Clairsentience/Telepathy, Psychokinesis/Telepathy, Electrokinesis/Psychokinesis, and Clairsentience/Teleportation all work well as approximations of such pop culture psychics. My take on rules for such a character:

They use Psion rules/tables for most purposes, unless specified otherwise below.

Choose one Aptitude as Primary and another as Secondary.

Psi......….Primary Mode Max...…....Secondary Mode Max
                      2...…...…….3...........................….......... 1
                      3...…...…….3...........................…......….2
                      4...…...…….4...........................…......….2
                      5...…...…….5...........................…......….3
                      6...…...…….6...........................…......….3
                      7...…...…….6...........................…......….4

They can take the Psiad Edge Strong Mode to either grab the level 7 power for their Primary Mode or boost one Secondary Mode to 5. They can also take the Psiad's Favored Aptitude Edge.

They don't automatically get the Attunement ability unless a power from one of their two aptitudes requires that power, but can take a one-dot Edge to gain the effect.

All other Aptitudes are either completely off limits or virtually so, only ever used by DM fiat. I think this system compares favorably to both Psions and Psiads, while giving the character's powers a strong core theme. Compared to Psions, they potentially slow down their acquisition of level 5 powers and give up the versatility of many Auxiliary Modes in exchange for a fairly powerful Secondary Mode. Compared to Psiads, they have more psi points and gain access to level 6 powers (and potentially a level 7), but loose a lot of versatility.
                      Last edited by Shepherdboi; 05-30-2020, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                        When much of Florida sinks into the ocean in 2054, what happens if an Aberrant's desperate attempt to evacuate Disney World via Warp dumps thousands of refugees into a parallel universe?

The Aberrant War of 2056-2067 is a great time for someone to get dimensionally shunted by an unstable Aberrant power.

Aberrants attacked Sydney in 2106. Odd interactions between an Aberrant teleporter and the Spatial Integrity psi power could get a teleporter REALLY lost.

The Psi orders have teleporting spaceships. Maybe one disappears during a botched jump?

The Second Aberrant War is also a prime time for teleportation accidents.

Individuals or even entire groups from TC getting dumped into the Mass Effect universe is a potential game changer for early human interactions with the Citadel races, but isn't completely ROFLSTOMP territory as long as you don't port in a high powered Aberrant.
                        Oooh I like these ideas.

I mean imagine if somehow they didn't just take the people but the whole of Disney World got transported to the new dimension, and all the tourists and employees there. Like now you have this other world with bizarre architecture and such in it and survivors who maybe take that and use it as the basis for their civilization. I see lots of fun potential there.

The idea of spaceships and teleporters and the people with and on them getting lost is to me an amazing idea.

Heck, even outside the Aberrant War you could always have a situation where there is a natural disaster and a nova says to a town that is about to be hit by say a volcanic eruption or something "hold on, I can save you all" and he warps them somewhere else.

... Actually. I honestly love this idea. You now have the base for a campaign, the settlement, a group of people, the townsfolk and travelers there, and the potential for a whole new world to explore. Oooh so cool.

The idea of Trinity people being transported to other worlds and such is potentially amazing. I mean you take a nova and bring them anywhere and you have a proto-god in the making, and you take psiads and bring them and you have powerful and structured folk.

---

The idea you have for the variant psiad type is interesting and yeah quite fitting in as a potential for how humans could develop.

I don't have much to add on that particular point since personally I like the near limitless psiad buuuut i do like the concept and see much potential and fun in it.

----------------------

On a whole nother idea I have once again, as my last few posts show, got into the whole Myst and D'ni idea. This time my thought is thinking of the methods that a modern day person could discover the ability of the Art of Writing. My first idea was that he happens to go on a sort of tour around the world as say part of a a post-college graduation gift where he notices that certain symbols on certain ruins at multiple sites seem similar to each other. So he begins analyzing them, copying and photocopying the images, which both lead him to interpreting the languages at said site (some of which had been undeciphered till this point) and also unlocking the ability to Write Linking 'Tablets' after he studies the materials ('paper' and 'ink' of the items). He also notices that the sites all share a similar feature - a set of symbols that seem to relate to somewhere else - a somewhere that would be a sort of 'linking port' for my non-D'ni D'ni when visited the surface.

Even if nothing comes of this idea from a story or game perspective I do like to think of 'realisitc' ways that this could go about, which is why I am posting this here, to see if others think this makes any sense.
                        Last edited by LordHeru; 05-31-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

... Actually. I honestly love this idea. You now have the base for a campaign, the settlement, a group of people, the townsfolk and travelers there, and the potential for a whole new world to explore. Oooh so cool.

The idea of Trinity people being transported to other worlds and such is potentially amazing. I mean you take a nova and bring them anywhere and you have a proto-god in the making, and you take psiads and bring them and you have powerful and structured folk.
                          For further twists, a Nova pumped up enough to save a very large number of people would presumably either be taking on a ton of taint via maxing out, or injury levels via burning out. So their savior could either become their nemesis, or may just die. Either way, they can no longer get home.

Getting saved by a Psion or Psiad may mean biotech that can only be used by their savior. A teleporting spaceship is of limited utility if only one person in the universe can make it work. While tests for noetic potential are a known thing, even if the refugees can use the test on themselves or the natives, they don't have any way to activate their potential. Creating a noetic empowerment device would likely be the work of decades, if it could be accomplished at all. I suppose such a project isn't out of the realm of possibility for either type of psychic, since everyone knows Prometheus chambers exist, while Psiads who gained their powers in the aftermath of Dr. Bhurano's noetic beacon would correlate gaining their powers to Wycoff's Blight shrinking, and realize some sort of major noetic event likely caused both.

Comment

Quick Myst note: Unwritten is the official Myst/D’ni TTRPG and it’s on Drivethru, if you’re not aware of it.

My random thought is that it could be fun to have an item or scientific theory that keeps cropping up in different game eras. Or create a series of one shots/single adventure stories that revolve around this thing that keeps popping up.

For Example, take the antikythera mechanism or something similar as an ancient computer. You have a game of Aegis where it gets created, a game of Adventure! where it’s rediscovered and a mad scientist is using it as part of their twisted scheme but it gets lost when the evil lair is blown up, a game of Aberrant where a Nova scientist is trying to excavate the old lair and recover the research and the ancient artifact, Anima could have an online version of the mechanism, and a game of Aeon where you’re fighting the Aberrant that was once the Nova researcher.

A recurring easter egg/macguffin could be fun, but it could also get annoying, so definitely make sure your players are on board for it before doing it.

I’m very much looking forward to Adventure! as well as other older settings and things in the TCU.

Comment

Yeah I own Unwritten, kickstart backed it too. (Actually did the upgrade where I got an age, though it seems that failed as well the age was never written. It was gonna be a space age, an asteroid in the void that served as an ancient D'ni center for both entertainment and 'military training').

That said I never really liked the Fate system it uses, alternate dice annoy me among other issues I had, and so pretty much as soon as Trinity was discussed I thought to myself I'd rather use this system for that game then that system for that game.

--

The whole idea of something, be it as you say an item or event or theory, being a repeating concept in multiple game eras sound really really cool. (In some ways its like the Impossible Girl from Doctor Who, back when it was good, cough, anyway, the point being that someone in that case is appearing again and again and again.)

Instead of it being multiple games there could be a single game where over multiple unrelated adventures something keeps on showing up. In some ways both Adventure! and Anima might be perfect for it - the former because items of power fit the trope and the later because imagine the players visiting multiple MMO RPG realms where something similar keeps on showing up, despite different game designers or companies and despite tech support saying its not there and other such things. It could be the start of going down the rabbit hole.

Could be fun!

Comment

Great Ideas coming out here!
                                Alright random concept thread: In "The story so far", the nature of psi/quantum and it's relation to sentience is somewhat explored, and it's , naturally , sparked several ideas.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any concepts for a true "Elder Race". That is, the Doyen are a 'flawed' attempt to transubstantiate into pure Psi and achieve enlightenment, evolution, immortality - whatever the goal was; now that humans (and their Psi tech) are starting spreading all over the place in the Unity age, are there other, vastly older (or more successful) elder species out there, watching?

I've definitely been influenced by the Mass Effect and Halo backstories, and especially Halos idea of the "Mantle of Responsibility". If there were Watchers out there , have they seen the pattern humanity is taking before? Or is it a totally new iteration of life in the Milky Way?

I've been watching tons of videos on the Fermi Paradox during lockdown, so I could probably throw out ideas most of the day - has anyone else had concepts along these lines?

Comment

Working...
                                X