No announcement yet.

The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would try to keep the ascended away from the game, maybe with some individual ascended doing things to help humanity to ascend too, but not in a grand scale, maybe helping a bunch of Psions to get rid of the Doyen genetic limitations, or showing a Psiad that it’s possible to reach Psion level without being dunked.

I would make it more like the Ancients from StarGate (the ones that made the SG system), with most of them don’t caring about the universe at all, while some still do some stuff to help the “lesser races”, for mercy or pure boredom.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Tritoninvestigator View Post
      I'm wondering if anyone else has had any concepts for a true "Elder Race". That is, the Doyen are a 'flawed' attempt to transubstantiate into pure Psi and achieve enlightenment, evolution, immortality - whatever the goal was; now that humans (and their Psi tech) are starting spreading all over the place in the Unity age, are there other, vastly older (or more successful) elder species out there, watching?
      If there is some sort of Elder Race watching, you need to answer the question of why they're revealing themselves now, when they've sat back and allowed the Doyen to screw over countless civilizations during the last four million years. Either they're so limited in their ability to interact with this level of reality that they couldn't stop the Doyen (in which case, what good are they?), or they have super awesome Elder Race powers (in which case, they've watched a four million year long holocaust and done nothing).

Page 359 of Aeon does state of the Doyen, "They no longer possess physical bodies, but they did not become entities of pure noetic force inhabiting subtle realms that even the most powerful psions can barely sense." Maybe someone invents a new piece of Clairsentient or Telepathic biotech that allows the user to more easily sense such noetic realms, and this attracts their attention? The paranoid Doyen would certainly avoid tech like that, since they don't want to attract the attention of beings more powerful and ancient than themselves, and they'd steer lesser races away from such discoveries as well, so such a device could literally be the first of its kind.

Comment

If you haven't grabbed Distant Worlds yet, you are missing out, especially when it comes to encountering weird and ancient space stuff. There is even a planet where a race successfully ascended, and left some artifacts that leave clues on how to follow for those who can.

My Alt Universe Random Idea I'm working on currently, alternate universe Doyen that went along the Quantum branch, instead of Psi. Instead of being bodiless they have perfectly mutable unique forms. This is also the universe that Frances from the core is from, and his race is an alternate Qin predisoposed to Inspiration instead of Psi.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

A random fun idea would be for a campaign on a low key level. What I mean is say being farmers, animal tenders, builders or merchants. Maybe in a fantasy world. Maybe as a mmo rpg.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            A random fun idea would be for a campaign on a low key level. What I mean is say being farmers, animal tenders, builders or merchants. Maybe in a fantasy world. Maybe as a mmo rpg.
            Hmmm,,, Maybe one of the MMOs that Anima has could be some kind of Animal Crossing MMO thing? Everyone gets to be mayor of their own town and trade with other players, maybe invite people home to show off how cool their villages are (and so they can sell cosmetics), and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
              If there is some sort of Elder Race watching, you need to answer the question of why they're revealing themselves now, when they've sat back and allowed the Doyen to screw over countless civilizations during the last four million years. Either they're so limited in their ability to interact with this level of reality that they couldn't stop the Doyen (in which case, what good are they?), or they have super awesome Elder Race powers (in which case, they've watched a four million year long holocaust and done nothing).
              Any ants living on/near your property? Ever watch them? Do you intervene/play God/impose your worldview in them? No? Why not? Because they're ants.

Do you really, honestly want Beings like that to take an active interest in your living, because I sure as hell wouldn't. Because I don't want to live on an ant farm or being some Elder Being's experiment or pet. Dealing with the Doyen will be dangerous and difficult, but at least right now we have a shot. If we become the focus of something like Azathoth, the Qs or some other "wipe them all out of existence with a stray thought" types, we're kind of fucked.

Page 359 of Aeon does state of the Doyen, "They no longer possess physical bodies, but they did not become entities of pure noetic force inhabiting subtle realms that even the most powerful psions can barely sense." Maybe someone invents a new piece of Clairsentient or Telepathic biotech that allows the user to more easily sense such noetic realms, and this attracts their attention? The paranoid Doyen would certainly avoid tech like that, since they don't want to attract the attention of beings more powerful and ancient than themselves, and they'd steer lesser races away from such discoveries as well, so such a device could literally be the first of its kind.
              They'd steer clear personally, but they'd probably also arrange for some asteroids, alien invasion or a stray black hole to hit folks with that stuff, too.

Comment

Accidentally clicked on National Treasure and it had me thinking - what if the Aeon Society was actually an ancient organization that stretches back to even before Roman times. Maybe Mercere, when unstuck in time, goes backward and creates it. Our players, be they Talents or Superiors or even the other two Inspired, have joined the organization. Maybe they do run the world, or maybe they are a secret society for good attempting to stop something bad, or maybe something else.

Comment

So I am posting this idea slash question here rather than making its own thread because I don't think it warrants it.

Okay, so, imagine a campaign set in an alternate society - lets, for sake of argument, call said society the D'ni, and they live in a vast underground cavern city. Now in said civilization society is organized by Guilds, with each guild having a particular focus (Masons, Inkmakers, Mechanists, etc).

My question, in such a campaign, would it be logical for each Guild to have their own Path option plus another for whatever overarching organization the players are all part of (the Aeon Trinity variant, which I will probably call the Magisters Guild).

I was just wondering what people would think of such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                    So I am posting this idea slash question here rather than making its own thread because I don't think it warrants it.

Okay, so, imagine a campaign set in an alternate society - lets, for sake of argument, call said society the D'ni, and they live in a vast underground cavern city. Now in said civilization society is organized by Guilds, with each guild having a particular focus (Masons, Inkmakers, Mechanists, etc).

My question, in such a campaign, would it be logical for each Guild to have their own Path option plus another for whatever overarching organization the players are all part of (the Aeon Trinity variant, which I will probably call the Magisters Guild).

I was just wondering what people would think of such a thing.

I think the Guild path would slot equally well into either the Role or Society path slot (or even Origin depending on how strongly a person is tied into their guild by birth for example). I would also say that since a person can buy more paths later there shouldn't be too much trouble with giving players a 4th path off the bat, simply consider that this is an 18xp bonus and adjust power levels accordingly.

Comment

Æon idea - ISRA planet seekers attention is drawn to a new planet by a powerful burst of mixed quantum and noetic energy. They find a developed civilization at a tech level between where humans were 1890-1920. Steam engines, Telegraph, the beginnings of an Industrial revolution, the beginnings of Coal and Oil abuse that will wreck their planet.

First Adventure hook - Do we make contact? So far Humanity has encountered 1> Aliens more advanced technologically than we are, 2> Alien remains of long dead (or recently dead) civilizations, or 3> Actively Hostile Aliens that came to us (Chromatics). We've never had a scenario where we had to ask "Oh shoot, do we have a Star Trek type Prime Directive?" Is it Ok for us to contact, interact with, and ultimately interfere with the development of this newly located species?
                      Surely it would be good to give them Hyperfusion so they don't wreck their planet with CO2 emissions. But is that safe?
                      Also whatever drew OUR attention surely caught the attention of Aberrants, and other possible hostile forces (cough cough doyen cough). Is it ethical NOT to contact them so that we can help them defend themselves?

Second Adventure hook - That burst of energy that drew ISRAs attention in the first place. Turns out they just had their own Hammersmith Incident. Now what?

Comment

Another Æon idea. This one is more work because to do it right I'll need to actually write a fully fleshed out 9th Apptitude.

Re-establish contact with an outpost that's been out of contact since the Upeo vanished.

The colony was a small mining colony much like Karoo, mining an asteroid belt that was believed to have been an earth-like planet before some event shattered it.
                        Concern was high as to whether or not the colony could have survived with just the hydroponics they had for Food and Oxygen production, let alone if they had been attacked by Aberrants or Chromatics.

Upon recontact we discover that the Asteroid Belt is Gone. There is now a planet, within the Goldilocks Zone in the orbit where the asteroid field had been. It has several large land-masses, Liquid seas with unusually large icebergs, and while the land is MOSTLY barren rock, there is a settlement with roughly the population of the former mining colony, surrounded by arable land, planted out with Earth plants. The atmosphere is breathable and similar to Earth standard.

The Jump-Ship and crew are contacted almost immediately before they can finish taking this all in, by a person declaring this colony a sovereign nation and main base of a new Psi-Order [Name here].

Nearly 1/4 of the colonists are Active Psions (WELL above the expected level) and have all been activated by the new Order's Proxy, who has a Prometheus Tank.

The Proxy is, or was since they've moved up to 'Head of a new order and also leader of a new colony', the head of the former mining colony's hydroponics project, and also a terraforming engineer.
                        They claim that, after discovering the Prometheus chamber and being activated, they activated all the latents in the colony, and that together they were able to use their new Aptitude, which they call Gravitokinesis, to pull the asteroid field together, and the Proxy and their strongest members to Crush the rocks together hard enough to form a solid planet with a liquid magma core.

Ice asteroids from the belt and elsewhere in system provided the water for the seas, and gasses captured from Gas Giants in system provided necessary components for the Atmosphere.
                        Even with their apparently incredible powers, this process still took most of the time they were out of contact, and the surface settlement is less than a year old.

Whether all of this is true or not is up to the GM, but here are some key points:
                        - The Order and the colony in general are mildly hostile because they are pissed about being abandoned. When they find out that it was literally Upeo who just decided to abandon all the colonies and not some sort of disaster, they'll be more pissed. If whichever nation originally founded the colony even hints at the possibility of retaking control they will become livid and possibly violent. Any 'peacekeeping' force sent to 'pacify' them and 'retake' control of the colony will be returned to the next jump ship to show up in the form of a 2cm cube of exotic matter, having been crushed by the equivalent force of 10,000 solar masses.
                        - Their powers stand up to at least initial scrutiny and all the equipment and powers at the initial contact team's disposal show they are Noetically active
                        - If the players somehow get permission to see the Gravitokinetic Prometheus chamber it looks NOTHING like the chambers of other orders, beyond rough size match and having a chamber to put a human sized being into.
                        - If the players somehow actually get a clandestine genetic sample from the Prometheus chamber, and get it to someone who can compare it, it is Genetically totally dissimilar to the other chambers as well. This was grown from a totally different base stock, evolved from a different starting primordial soup, on a different world.
                        - If this is the work of the Doyen, they're playing a very confusing and secretive game (as always). But if this ISN'T the work of the Doyen, WHO MADE IT?

- The proxy, and perhaps one or two of the other strongest Gravitokinetics, can create tiny short lived Singularities. This is (allegedly) how they stuck the planet together and crushed it hard enough to turn the core liquid.
                        - The Proxy believes, though they haven't managed it yet, that they may be able to create a gravity field strong enough to fold and bridge space, creating a Worm Hole. This may or may not be possible, but just the possibility that they might be able to warp space without a Teleporter or Jumpship is certain to cause a fair amount of both concern and interest from all sorts of parties.

Gravitokinesis rough idea
                        Modes: A mode that allows the user to alter how gravity effects them - Lower or Increase Weight while mass remains the same. Increases jump distance, allows walking on things that wouldn't normally support them, or provide bonuses to resist being moved because they're heavier.
                        A mode that allows the creation of 'Gravity Fields'. Make everything in an area lighter or heavier. Provide artificial gravity on a ship. At high levels allows personal flight, lift or lower objects including small ships from/to orbit. Provides Space Travel Speed but not ability to survive space so still need either a spacesuit or a ship to pull.
                        A mode that allows Space/Time distortion - Attack powers that function by making small folds and then letting go, dealing damage. Allows enhanced speed (scale?) by space scrunching and stretching. Theoretically at top level might allow the formation of a temporary Worm Hole.

So key points:
                        - Is their story True?
                        - If not, what's really going on?
                        - If it is, where did the Prometheus chamber come from?
                        - If it is, how to we fit them into the power structure of the greater human world?

Comment

Originally posted by TiwazTyrsfist View Post
                          So key points:
                          - Is their story True?
                          - If not, what's really going on?
                          - If it is, where did the Prometheus chamber come from?
                          - If it is, how to we fit them into the power structure of the greater human world?
                          I think it could be partly true, but the twist should be that they're Novas with their "Prometheus Chamber" being one that induces Nova eruption (on a rare success) but usually hideous mutation/death otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by TiwazTyrsfist View Post
                            Nearly 1/4 of the colonists are Active Psions (WELL above the expected level) and have all been activated by the new Order's Proxy, who has a Prometheus Tank.

The Proxy is, or was since they've moved up to 'Head of a new order and also leader of a new colony', the head of the former mining colony's hydroponics project, and also a terraforming engineer.
                            They claim that, after discovering the Prometheus chamber and being activated, they activated all the latents in the colony, and that together they were able to use their new Aptitude, which they call Gravitokinesis, to pull the asteroid field together, and the Proxy and their strongest members to Crush the rocks together hard enough to form a solid planet with a liquid magma core.
                            One in four is definitely well above normal, since I believe the normal odds are somewhere between 1-in-10,000 and 1-in-30,000. This would be common knowledge to pretty much anyone, and would be cause for extreme distrust on the part of the expedition.

It is a secret among the Proxies that they didn't build the Prometheus chambers, so anyone claiming to have found one instead of having built it would also be met with extreme suspicion.

Gravity is one of the quantum forces manipulated by Novas, so anyone claiming to have gravity control powers would be suspicious. Even more suspicious is that I'm pretty sure all 30,000 members of The Legions working together wouldn't have enough Psychokinesis to smoosh an asteroid field into a planet, and even then they'd just be left with a ball of rubble; it would take geological eras to convert that into a viable planet.

My best guess would be that a Mega-Intellect Nova made a device that adds Nova DNA to normal people, then puts them through something akin to the Japanese Superiors process.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                              Gravity is one of the quantum forces manipulated by Novas, so anyone claiming to have gravity control powers would be suspicious.
                              Gravity control is already covered by the Quantakinesis Energetics Mode. Being able to manipulate it wouldn’t automatically make you an Aberrant suspect to the Legions, but maybe a QK Aberrant sympathizer.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Things like the order claiming to have found the Chamber is something that wouldn't be publicly disclosed, but rather something the PCs would possibly find out as part of being important movers and shakers. Essentially, it's a plot point that only comes up if the players ALREADY KNOW in character that the other Prometheus Chambers were made by 'unknown' aliens and not the proxies themselves.

-

The idea is intended to be an open ended adventure hook. So all the following are EQUALLY Valid:

- Everything is true, the Aptitude is real and valid, and the fact that such a ridiculously large portion of the (admittedly small) population were all able to become Psions is just a really REALLY unlikely coincidence. The total number of Gravitokinetics is still smaller than any of the other (non-QK) orders. (Or maybe it's not a Coincidence but engineered by some power. A suitably powerful telepathic race capable of infiltrating a human organization could have deliberately sifted candidates for jobs on this colony to create a much larger percentage of Latents in one place for some reason) [Yes this is DELIBERATELY worded so it could be the Doyen OR the Qin, or even a new third party]

- Everything is a LIE. These colonists aren't actually human at all. Not even as human as a sub-aberrant mutant. This is a construction of immense proportion by an advanced alien power, and things are gonna get REALLY weird.

- The colonists THINK what they're saying is true but they've been duped. The (pseudo)Proxy is a Terat level Aberrant who killed and replaced the original person. The Prometheus Chamber isn't just Nova tech, it's actually ANOTHER Terat level Aberrant, and it's "activation" process is actually an advanced form of Quantum Flux Disease Induction that turns baselines into Divergent grade Aberrants specifically with a Gravity Mastery suite of powers. A captured Quantikinetic has been used to create unique biotech apps that mask their taint and create pseudo-noetic signatures that mislead the agents examining the "Psions" and their powers.

- A biotech supercomputer running an advanced A.I. with access to Telepathy via biotech extensions has actually captured and suborned the PCs minds. None of this is happening, but the pcs don't know that at first, and they'll need to notice background glitches before they have a chance to figure it out. (Haven't I seen that welder before? Is he like quadruplets? Pretty sure this corridor is longer than the building. How does a 100' x 100' x 10' cargo bay hold 112,358 cubic feet of material?) The players bodies are in a coma, somewhere, and they need to figure out what's happening to have any hope of waking up.

Pick whichever one will MOST surprise and confuse your players, or make up some other option.

-

At least to me, part of what would make this interesting is that A> the PCs and recontact team should be like "What? No that's not how things work!" and treat the Colony/Order with suspicion. But EVERY test they are capable of making, even with Telepathic scans and Vitakinetics, shows the confusing and unbelievable result that these ARE actual Psions and that their powers ARE functioning on a Noetic level and producing no taint or other signs of being something sinister.

Essentially, if the players are super-skeptical? It's all totally real (but probably still the result of like a Doyen plot).
                                If the players just accept things and are like "Hey, cool powers, lets party!" They're Aberrants and it's Quantum Flux City, everyone get mutated!

Comment

Working...
                                X