No announcement yet.

The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double post. Not really sure what happened. Sorry.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 07-16-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I didn’t mean you should not post here, what I meant was it didn’t pop up in your head when you were writing or even while taking a coffee break at work. You have some pretty solid idea.

About the huge dice pools and powers, using the art dots the same way the mode dots are used (less dots cause increase in difficulty, more dots become enhancements) you double the effect of a single dot (it is an enhancement and a dice at same time), allowing you to stay in the 0-5 range and keeping things impossible to low dots and still easy in higher dots.

It’s one of the things that I changed in my hermetic magic (that I didn’t properly finish to post, I wrote the basic, but need to review the rest for left behind)

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by TiwazTyrsfist View Post
        Another Æon idea. This one is more work because to do it right I'll need to actually write a fully fleshed out 9th Aptitude.
        Interesting campaign idea, and the idea of a theoretical 'ninth Aptitude' intrigues me.

Gravitokinesis is certainly a valid choice, and I like how you've broken it down into Self, Area, Wormholes.

Other ideas for a 'ninth Aptitude' could include;

Time Manipulation. (speed stuff up, slow stuff down, exotic stuff like limited time travel, as Teleportation deals with the manipulation of space, this Aptitude reflects the ability to traverse time, at the highest levels, but mostly to move / react / think really fast, or slow people down, at the lower levels. It's easiest to slow down or speed up mental reactions to allow speed reading, or faster uses of long actions like research, or to destroy enemies initiative scores by making them sluggish, but at mid levels, you can saunter after running enemies like Jason Voorhees, mysteriously able to 'outrun' running people while ominously plodding along.)

Matter Manipulation. (control the 'weak force' that binds atoms together. By strengthening it, you can repair matter, or reinforce it and make it stronger. By weakening it you can weaken objects, or even disintegrate them entirely, at the highest levels. And by tweaking it with the third Mode, you can first analyze and learn about an objects properties, and later transform the shape of matter, first making minor temporary changes, and later major or lasting or even 'impossible' changes like making a substance smoother, or reflective, or changing it's other chemical or structural properties, like making it flammable or conductive or corrosive or toxic... At the highest levels, Metacreativity, the ability to *create* unliving matter from thin air (just as other Psions are creating ice or plasma or energy or living tissue).)

Channeling. (said by some to just be a branch of Psychometry. You tap into the skills and knowledge and memories of people long dead, through contact with items they possessed, or inhabiting some area that was personally significant to them, granting all sorts of extra dice for skills and ability checks, as well as actual information. People who don't believe in 'that voodoo nonsense' just think it's a specialized admixture of Psychometry and Telepathy, tapping into some sort of 'quantum echoes' locked into the 'local substratum' or some such hornswoggle. Amazing what they'll do to avoid the horrifying notion that they might actually have immortal souls...)

And what if a group of Psions end up finding a world where there are small enclaves of apparent Psions, who have very different Aptitudes. Did the Doyen create *other* worlds with Psions, but use entirely different schema for their 'Prometheus tanks?' (The Telepaths are divided into three Modes; Projection (sending thoughts, images, emotions, mental blast attacks...), Reception (reading thoughts, memories, tapping sensory perceptions, empathy), Internal (mastery of one's own mental landscape, mental shielding, rearranging mental resources to swap dots around temporarily, etc.)). Or are they not Psions at all, but a new breed of super-low-taint 'sub-Aberrants' created by a taint-resistant breed of Novas, using techniques far more benign than those used by Aberrants like Yog-Death or Kali.

Last edited by Ian Turner; 07-17-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I like your ideas.

Time manipulation can be broken into 3 modes, 1 for manipulating the time flow, 1 for time traveling and 1 for sincronicity (things happen when you need them to happen, kind of).

Matter manipulation is a mode of Quantakinesis, much like Gravitokinesis. A powerful enough QK can use energetics to create a gravitational field that will bring a planet to existence from asteroids, same for your description of matter manipulation that fits in Transmutation mode.

Channeling is great, can be a mode for a Medium/Necromancy aptitude. I would combine it with the speak with dead spirits (summoning, getting information, etc) and one for animating bodies. You can even say the ghosts are the echoes of the once living people noetic matrix that you can access the same way Psychometry access the past and future, something beyond the reach of Aberrants.

Weird / corrupted psionics is also a interesting idea I will think more about in the next few days.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I like your ideas.
            Thanks!

Time manipulation can be broken into 3 modes, 1 for manipulating the time flow, 1 for time traveling and 1 for sincronicity (things happen when you need them to happen, kind of).
            One source for ideas is to look at the Spheres from Mage, and see what is already done, and what remains to be explored. So Forces = Electrokinesis and Psychokinesis. Correspondence = Teleportation and some Clairsentience. Mind = Telepathy and Mentatis. Life = Biokinesis and Vitakinesis. But Time? Entropy? (A Probability Influencer Aptitude, Modes of good luck for self and allies, hexing or jinxing others with bad luck, and purely detecting probabilities, which would end up looking like Clairsentient effects, to someone who doesn't know the difference?)

Matter manipulation is a mode of Quantakinesis, much like Gravitokinesis. A powerful enough QK can use energetics to create a gravitational field that will bring a planet to existence from asteroids, same for your description of matter manipulation that fits in Transmutation mode.
            I feel like QuantaK should have more to do with Quantum, in the game system. Bleeding it off. Making it harder to use in some areas. Making it easier to use in others (and, conversely, making *Psi* harder or easier to use in those areas, by changing the levels of 'ambient quantum' or some such horsefluffle).

Meanwhile, the current Psi Aptitude setup has two Mind Over Life aptitudes (BioK, VitaK), some Mind Over Energy (ElectroK), but doesn't have the proficiency I wanted in Mind Over Matter, in rearranging / reshaping / strengthening / repairing / disintegrating matter. So, definitely fodder for it's own 'Metacreativity' type Aptitude.

Weird / corrupted psionics is also a interesting idea I will think more about in the next few days.
            I do love the idea of messing with the 'paradigm' and having variant Mode setups for powers like Telepathy (Sending, Receiving, Internal), or Vitakinesis (Heal Others, Buff Self (similar to Biokinetic techniques from Adaptation or Psychomorphing, but not Transmog shapeshifty stuff!), Harm Others, with Mentatis effects entirely cut out and ported over to Telepathy, as this version of VitaK would only affect the body, not the mind).

Fun to tweak, and think of how things would be different if the Doyen had just built the Prometheus Chambers with different Mode options, or how other worlds and races that they might have similarly 'gifted' might be different, if they have completely different Chambers.

Comment

Working...
            X