X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunyip
    started a topic The Random Ideas Creativity thread

The Random Ideas Creativity thread

Inspired by LordHeru, this thread is for those random Trinity Continuum thoughts, setting ideas, conspiracy theories, new technologies etc. Post something you want to share and let other people comment on and build from it.

May I throw in a couple of grounds rules? First, these are random thoughts. If people want feedback on how something would work within the system, please make it clear. If you want to go off on strange tangents that have nothing to do with the published Continuum setting or rules, please let us know that as well. This is the space for head canon, fake histories, and ‘What If’s’. It’s also the thread for ‘What would happen to the system/setting if I change X’?

Over all, respect each other, take inspiration from here as you find it, talk ideas with each other, or seek critique if you’re up for it.

Sound good? Let’s go!
    Last edited by Bunyip; 04-12-2020, 12:37 AM.

• LordHeru
    replied
    So any thoughts on the Prometheus Ritual? hehe
    Last edited by LordHeru; 11-01-2020, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

No. It’s nice that a Scale table has been included with evocative descriptions, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Scale is always relative. In the first case, the Earth is Durability Scale 8-10, somewhere between ‘cosmic materials’ and ‘beyond human comprehension’. If the SG is cautious and says 8, your Mega-Crush character has 2 Scale against the planet, not 10.

For the second question, Earth is Size Scale 9 (it’s a ‘world’), so your Mega-Lifting character has 1 Scale over the Earth, not 10.
    I think having 2 more scale that an object could allow you to easily move it. Would that +2scale at least allow for some "knock the planet out of orbit" thing.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post
    So, im just skimming right now, but could it be that a Q5 Mega-Might 5 Nova with Mega-Crush can just punch a planet to non-existence? (Power scale 10. Weapons that can erase space-time)
    Or with Mega-Lifting do the superman trick to fly counter to the earth rotation to time travel? (Might scale 10. Can move time itself)
    No. It’s nice that a Scale table has been included with evocative descriptions, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Scale is always relative. In the first case, the Earth is Durability Scale 8-10, somewhere between ‘cosmic materials’ and ‘beyond human comprehension’. If the SG is cautious and says 8, your Mega-Crush character has 2 Scale against the planet, not 10.

For the second question, Earth is Size Scale 9 (it’s a ‘world’), so your Mega-Lifting character has 1 Scale over the Earth, not 10.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    So, im just skimming right now, but could it be that a Q5 Mega-Might 5 Nova with Mega-Crush can just punch a planet to non-existence? (Power scale 10. Weapons that can erase space-time)
    Or with Mega-Lifting do the superman trick to fly counter to the earth rotation to time travel? (Might scale 10. Can move time itself)

Last edited by Sakii; 11-01-2020, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    A random idea that just came to me.

Its not the Prometheus Chamber but rather the Prometheus Ritual. This ritual requires eight Psions, one from each Aptitude, joining together in the manifestation of a particular para-aptitude psychic ability as led by a psion with the particular Order's primary Aptitude. When successfully used it leads to the awakening of a person into a Psion of the Aptitude that best fits them, though maybe there is a higher chance of awakening in the related Order's primary aptitude. Not every Psion can undertake the training that allows for participation in the ritual, just like not just anyone can undergo the process and become a Psion.

One side change could be that the Aeon Society has access to a number of psions capable of performing the ritual, meaning they can make their own psions without direct access to the Order. That said, since each order has more Aptitude specific knowledge there is a good reason to work together in the exchange of psi users.

An interesting twist is that occasionally a latent that undergoes the process comes out a Psiad rather than a Psion, a fact that they might not know right off the bat. Maybe as certain Proxies do more work on breaking free or something this can actually grow larger. This is more than likely because for all the Doyen power the true state of humanity's noetic potential is free rather than bound to one Aptitude.

The main change of this is that the QK can't be destroyed nor can all Teleporters disappear, otherwise the ritual would fail. So a few need to stay on Earth, at least seven really, and at least one QK needs to go with the Teleporters and one Teleporter with the QKs.

An adventure could lead to the question of what if the makeup of the ritual is changed, so instead of one of each it is given weight to a particular aptitude. (My answer is a mega case of psychic disfunction because humanity is not naturally disposed to only using one aptitude.)

An adventure could be based around a number of psions learning the ritual effect in order to let them leave the solar system with the capability to make more Psions.

Mechanically speaking the Prometheus Ritual is represented by a psychic Edge that say is one dot and besides letting one perform the ritual might also make it easier for either circle work or the detection of Latents from among Baselines.

Just a random idea.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Turner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    I like your ideas.
    Thanks!

Time manipulation can be broken into 3 modes, 1 for manipulating the time flow, 1 for time traveling and 1 for sincronicity (things happen when you need them to happen, kind of).
    One source for ideas is to look at the Spheres from Mage, and see what is already done, and what remains to be explored. So Forces = Electrokinesis and Psychokinesis. Correspondence = Teleportation and some Clairsentience. Mind = Telepathy and Mentatis. Life = Biokinesis and Vitakinesis. But Time? Entropy? (A Probability Influencer Aptitude, Modes of good luck for self and allies, hexing or jinxing others with bad luck, and purely detecting probabilities, which would end up looking like Clairsentient effects, to someone who doesn't know the difference?)

Matter manipulation is a mode of Quantakinesis, much like Gravitokinesis. A powerful enough QK can use energetics to create a gravitational field that will bring a planet to existence from asteroids, same for your description of matter manipulation that fits in Transmutation mode.
    I feel like QuantaK should have more to do with Quantum, in the game system. Bleeding it off. Making it harder to use in some areas. Making it easier to use in others (and, conversely, making *Psi* harder or easier to use in those areas, by changing the levels of 'ambient quantum' or some such horsefluffle).

Meanwhile, the current Psi Aptitude setup has two Mind Over Life aptitudes (BioK, VitaK), some Mind Over Energy (ElectroK), but doesn't have the proficiency I wanted in Mind Over Matter, in rearranging / reshaping / strengthening / repairing / disintegrating matter. So, definitely fodder for it's own 'Metacreativity' type Aptitude.

Weird / corrupted psionics is also a interesting idea I will think more about in the next few days.
    I do love the idea of messing with the 'paradigm' and having variant Mode setups for powers like Telepathy (Sending, Receiving, Internal), or Vitakinesis (Heal Others, Buff Self (similar to Biokinetic techniques from Adaptation or Psychomorphing, but not Transmog shapeshifty stuff!), Harm Others, with Mentatis effects entirely cut out and ported over to Telepathy, as this version of VitaK would only affect the body, not the mind).

Fun to tweak, and think of how things would be different if the Doyen had just built the Prometheus Chambers with different Mode options, or how other worlds and races that they might have similarly 'gifted' might be different, if they have completely different Chambers.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    I like your ideas.

Time manipulation can be broken into 3 modes, 1 for manipulating the time flow, 1 for time traveling and 1 for sincronicity (things happen when you need them to happen, kind of).

Matter manipulation is a mode of Quantakinesis, much like Gravitokinesis. A powerful enough QK can use energetics to create a gravitational field that will bring a planet to existence from asteroids, same for your description of matter manipulation that fits in Transmutation mode.

Channeling is great, can be a mode for a Medium/Necromancy aptitude. I would combine it with the speak with dead spirits (summoning, getting information, etc) and one for animating bodies. You can even say the ghosts are the echoes of the once living people noetic matrix that you can access the same way Psychometry access the past and future, something beyond the reach of Aberrants.

Weird / corrupted psionics is also a interesting idea I will think more about in the next few days.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Turner
    replied
    Originally posted by TiwazTyrsfist View Post
    Another Æon idea. This one is more work because to do it right I'll need to actually write a fully fleshed out 9th Aptitude.
    Interesting campaign idea, and the idea of a theoretical 'ninth Aptitude' intrigues me.

Gravitokinesis is certainly a valid choice, and I like how you've broken it down into Self, Area, Wormholes.

Other ideas for a 'ninth Aptitude' could include;

Time Manipulation. (speed stuff up, slow stuff down, exotic stuff like limited time travel, as Teleportation deals with the manipulation of space, this Aptitude reflects the ability to traverse time, at the highest levels, but mostly to move / react / think really fast, or slow people down, at the lower levels. It's easiest to slow down or speed up mental reactions to allow speed reading, or faster uses of long actions like research, or to destroy enemies initiative scores by making them sluggish, but at mid levels, you can saunter after running enemies like Jason Voorhees, mysteriously able to 'outrun' running people while ominously plodding along.)

Matter Manipulation. (control the 'weak force' that binds atoms together. By strengthening it, you can repair matter, or reinforce it and make it stronger. By weakening it you can weaken objects, or even disintegrate them entirely, at the highest levels. And by tweaking it with the third Mode, you can first analyze and learn about an objects properties, and later transform the shape of matter, first making minor temporary changes, and later major or lasting or even 'impossible' changes like making a substance smoother, or reflective, or changing it's other chemical or structural properties, like making it flammable or conductive or corrosive or toxic... At the highest levels, Metacreativity, the ability to *create* unliving matter from thin air (just as other Psions are creating ice or plasma or energy or living tissue).)

Channeling. (said by some to just be a branch of Psychometry. You tap into the skills and knowledge and memories of people long dead, through contact with items they possessed, or inhabiting some area that was personally significant to them, granting all sorts of extra dice for skills and ability checks, as well as actual information. People who don't believe in 'that voodoo nonsense' just think it's a specialized admixture of Psychometry and Telepathy, tapping into some sort of 'quantum echoes' locked into the 'local substratum' or some such hornswoggle. Amazing what they'll do to avoid the horrifying notion that they might actually have immortal souls...)

And what if a group of Psions end up finding a world where there are small enclaves of apparent Psions, who have very different Aptitudes. Did the Doyen create *other* worlds with Psions, but use entirely different schema for their 'Prometheus tanks?' (The Telepaths are divided into three Modes; Projection (sending thoughts, images, emotions, mental blast attacks...), Reception (reading thoughts, memories, tapping sensory perceptions, empathy), Internal (mastery of one's own mental landscape, mental shielding, rearranging mental resources to swap dots around temporarily, etc.)). Or are they not Psions at all, but a new breed of super-low-taint 'sub-Aberrants' created by a taint-resistant breed of Novas, using techniques far more benign than those used by Aberrants like Yog-Death or Kali.

Last edited by Ian Turner; 07-17-2020, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    I didn’t mean you should not post here, what I meant was it didn’t pop up in your head when you were writing or even while taking a coffee break at work. You have some pretty solid idea.

About the huge dice pools and powers, using the art dots the same way the mode dots are used (less dots cause increase in difficulty, more dots become enhancements) you double the effect of a single dot (it is an enhancement and a dice at same time), allowing you to stay in the 0-5 range and keeping things impossible to low dots and still easy in higher dots.

It’s one of the things that I changed in my hermetic magic (that I didn’t properly finish to post, I wrote the basic, but need to review the rest for left behind)

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    LordHeru, your ideas are pretty advanced, more like a book ready to be writing and less as random ideas.
    Haha yeah. I mean this is been a third formed idea that has long sat in my mind becoming a half formed idea that develops a bit more every time I think of it to a more than three quarters formed idea.

Basically, I would love to work on it but I don't see how it would be much use to others and so the effort taken to make the ideas I have into even greater ideas might be a little too much.

But your right, this is more than a random ideas creativity thread topic.

The organization in the psi powers (as Aptitudes and modes) is one of the things I like most in the way it can be converted to a solid Magic system. But at same time it’s too flexible and requires less book keeping and more brute power to be used.
    I agree. I love the organization but at the same time I can't help but think or complete it seems to be, which is 'frustrating' when one wants to think about adding additional options or potential paths or whatnot.

One way to solve it would be to introduce official designed secret Modes that only certain psions/psiads could access. That could be fun.

--

I agree with you on the whole Ars Magica thing. The whole combination of Technique plus Form to create categories of magic is just super brilliant to me. As is the whole scholarly studious bent that said game has. I wish something like that existed in the framework of Storypath. (I also wished that Ars Magica came up with a new addition, but that is just wishful thinking)

One of the biggest issues I see in taking Ars Magica to Storypath is the nature of the dice pool system and such. In Ars Magica you could technically have a spell that has say a 60 as a result needed to achieve on a Technique + Form + Intellignece + Aura + bonuses based on various elements + Dice Roll. In Storypath, you generally speaking don't combine multiple additional categories beyond Attribute + Skill. Even more in Ars Magica spells are made by taking a Base Effect level and boosting it based on Parameter levels, which are features that Storypath doesn't really do.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Double post. Not really sure what happened. Sorry.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 07-16-2020, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    LordHeru, your ideas are pretty advanced, more like a book ready to be writing and less as random ideas.

The organization in the psi powers (as Aptitudes and modes) is one of the things I like most in the way it can be converted to a solid Magic system. But at same time it’s too flexible and requires less book keeping and more brute power to be used.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    honestly my question was not related to my books, I was talking to some people a few weeks ago and their idea was to bring real magic to TC, not as variations of Psi/Quantum/Flux, but as an unique thing, like hermetic magic and Alquemy.

I like the way Psionics can become magic with some renaming. I would add some additional modes to allow some necromancy, spirit dealing and dimensional travel to complete the mage powers, but otherwise it’s pretty straight forward.

Yet, the feeling of this system is more sorcery and less wizardry (in DnD terms). So I am trying to create something new that requires studying and practice instead of flexibility, more like hermetic magic, but I am too deep into Ars Magica to move away from it... and it’s getting frustrating.

I hate how Ars Magica is so good as a base for magical studying, once you get into this trap it’s hard to move away!

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    How are you planning to deal with magic?
    Adapting/renaming Psionics or using another system? Matter of curiosity.
    Hard to say this early. A certain part of it would probably involve psionics, and possibly some aspects of the rules for making advanced tech. I also plan to take a close look at your Fists of Flux and Tomes of Inspiration stuff when I can get the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X