Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dystopia Rising to Trinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The one thing I wouldn't do is have the Psi edges be powered by Momentum. The idea that the other players could stop a player from using their own powers does not sit well with me, like at all.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
      The one thing I wouldn't do is have the Psi edges be powered by Momentum. The idea that the other players could stop a player from using their own powers does not sit well with me, like at all.
      I don’t know, I think it’s more like a skill trick than a Psionic power on Aeon idea. The powers are much different, more focused on certain conditions (and more powerful) or much less powerful (and versatile). That’s my impression, I mean, the Aeon Psionic powers are extremely versatile both in results and uses, and much more powerful in general....


      House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

        I don’t know, I think it’s more like a skill trick than a Psionic power on Aeon idea. The powers are much different, more focused on certain conditions (and more powerful) or much less powerful (and versatile). That’s my impression, I mean, the Aeon Psionic powers are extremely versatile both in results and uses, and much more powerful in general....
        I totally don't object to how the powers are written, in fact I think they are cool. I just don't think a power that someone has on their character sheet should need to be given permission by the other players for them to use it, which is what the requirement of spending Momentum does. Additionally as Momentum is a shared pool one character using it stops another character from potentially using it for their own powers, and that is something I like even less.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

          I totally don't object to how the powers are written, in fact I think they are cool. I just don't think a power that someone has on their character sheet should need to be given permission by the other players for them to use it, which is what the requirement of spending Momentum does. Additionally as Momentum is a shared pool one character using it stops another character from potentially using it for their own powers, and that is something I like even less.
          Indeed it’s quite annoying. I am planning to limit to 1 momentum by roll in my table, because we usually spend like 3 or 4 momentum in a single roll to try to increase the chances. It’s just to be sure they will at least look at the what they have of tricks, because they don’t even know it usually.


          House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

          Comment


          • #20
            Honestly, as far as Storypath is concerned, I am actually not really a fan of Skill Tricks requiring Momentum. That said right now it is what it is and I don't plan on house ruling that, for all that I wish they were made easier to use (like the Skill Tricks from Mirrors).

            Anyway, honestly, the more I read Dystopia Rising the more I am absolutely glad that I bought it. There are sections that I find myself liking the way its stated or described. The strains and paths and edges are also interesting too. So is the locations and the guidelines.

            Even if there are elements, like psychic edges requiring Momentum, that I absolutely dislike.

            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

            Indeed it’s quite annoying. I am planning to limit to 1 momentum by roll in my table, because we usually spend like 3 or 4 momentum in a single roll to try to increase the chances. It’s just to be sure they will at least look at the what they have of tricks, because they don’t even know it usually.
            I could totally see limiting the amount of Momentum that can be spent on a particular roll. That way it is used for a bunch of things rather than one single thing.

            Comment


            • #21
              My table may be unique, but I've never had the players not allow someone to spend Momentum. If nothing else, they want to get closer to that extra XP point for spending half the pool in a scene.

              I don't know about limiting the amount of Momentum spent on a roll. Each point is worth 1/3 of a success. That's not a great boost, but might be worth it to try to prevent a botch or failure after the roll, but that's a gamble. I've also not run into the pool running out for very long. My players are always willing to try something they're not good at because they know even if they fail, they're recharging their Momentum pool, and those are usually the rolls which generate the most interesting results.

              Granted, that's all anecdotal from one group, and I get that in theory since spending Momentum requires permission, the other players can deny someone the use of something on their character sheet. I also get that in theory since Momentum can run out, it is kind of a finite resource.

              Comment

              Working...
              X