X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LordHeru
    started a topic Dystopia Rising to Trinity

Dystopia Rising to Trinity

Sooo the book (and pdf) just came out for Dystooia Rising Evolution and I just bought it, both in print on demand and on pdf. Going through it there is much to like, very much to like indeed, and a few things that have me going 'okay, I see why, but nah!' which, honestly, I think is normal. For example, I really like the survival rules and stuff, those sorts of systems are quite enjoyable, as is the whole post-apocalyptic nature of thing.

That all said the basic point of this post is to see what people think on the whole time honored practice of 'yoink', that is, you know, taking stuff in Dystopia Rising and bringing it over to TC. I'm talking about Edges and powers and other such mechanical features.

I just got the book an hour or so ago which is why I don't really have much actual suggestions at this point, besides me stating I am glad to have bought it.

• Florin
    replied
    My table may be unique, but I've never had the players not allow someone to spend Momentum. If nothing else, they want to get closer to that extra XP point for spending half the pool in a scene.

I don't know about limiting the amount of Momentum spent on a roll. Each point is worth 1/3 of a success. That's not a great boost, but might be worth it to try to prevent a botch or failure after the roll, but that's a gamble. I've also not run into the pool running out for very long. My players are always willing to try something they're not good at because they know even if they fail, they're recharging their Momentum pool, and those are usually the rolls which generate the most interesting results.

Granted, that's all anecdotal from one group, and I get that in theory since spending Momentum requires permission, the other players can deny someone the use of something on their character sheet. I also get that in theory since Momentum can run out, it is kind of a finite resource.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Honestly, as far as Storypath is concerned, I am actually not really a fan of Skill Tricks requiring Momentum. That said right now it is what it is and I don't plan on house ruling that, for all that I wish they were made easier to use (like the Skill Tricks from Mirrors).

Anyway, honestly, the more I read Dystopia Rising the more I am absolutely glad that I bought it. There are sections that I find myself liking the way its stated or described. The strains and paths and edges are also interesting too. So is the locations and the guidelines.

Even if there are elements, like psychic edges requiring Momentum, that I absolutely dislike.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Indeed it’s quite annoying. I am planning to limit to 1 momentum by roll in my table, because we usually spend like 3 or 4 momentum in a single roll to try to increase the chances. It’s just to be sure they will at least look at the what they have of tricks, because they don’t even know it usually.
    I could totally see limiting the amount of Momentum that can be spent on a particular roll. That way it is used for a bunch of things rather than one single thing.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

I totally don't object to how the powers are written, in fact I think they are cool. I just don't think a power that someone has on their character sheet should need to be given permission by the other players for them to use it, which is what the requirement of spending Momentum does. Additionally as Momentum is a shared pool one character using it stops another character from potentially using it for their own powers, and that is something I like even less.
    Indeed it’s quite annoying. I am planning to limit to 1 momentum by roll in my table, because we usually spend like 3 or 4 momentum in a single roll to try to increase the chances. It’s just to be sure they will at least look at the what they have of tricks, because they don’t even know it usually.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

I don’t know, I think it’s more like a skill trick than a Psionic power on Aeon idea. The powers are much different, more focused on certain conditions (and more powerful) or much less powerful (and versatile). That’s my impression, I mean, the Aeon Psionic powers are extremely versatile both in results and uses, and much more powerful in general....
    I totally don't object to how the powers are written, in fact I think they are cool. I just don't think a power that someone has on their character sheet should need to be given permission by the other players for them to use it, which is what the requirement of spending Momentum does. Additionally as Momentum is a shared pool one character using it stops another character from potentially using it for their own powers, and that is something I like even less.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
    The one thing I wouldn't do is have the Psi edges be powered by Momentum. The idea that the other players could stop a player from using their own powers does not sit well with me, like at all.
    I don’t know, I think it’s more like a skill trick than a Psionic power on Aeon idea. The powers are much different, more focused on certain conditions (and more powerful) or much less powerful (and versatile). That’s my impression, I mean, the Aeon Psionic powers are extremely versatile both in results and uses, and much more powerful in general....

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    The one thing I wouldn't do is have the Psi edges be powered by Momentum. The idea that the other players could stop a player from using their own powers does not sit well with me, like at all.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
    After looking through the book, I have some thoughts on psionics. Overall I think that for use in the Trinity Continuum, I would say that the "Psionicist" Edge (and subsequent minor powers) would be considered a Powered Edge, while the "Psi" Edges (Biogenetics, Egokinetics, etc) would be considered Enhanced Edges in Trinity Continuum/Talent terms.

Does that sound right?
    I agree on the Psionist Edge as a power edge, but the Psi edges cant be enhanced because enhanced doesn’t have dots, and the powers do. I would mark them as powered edges too with requisite in the Psionist edge of same rank.

Still, I prefere the way Aeon deal with Psionics, while I understand why they used a fairly more simple psionics system. If I was going to translate Necrokinesis to Aeon, I would make it a new Aptitude, with 3 modes, one for dealing with undead, one for interacting with spirits and one for interacting with bodies.

Another option is to add a new mode for each aptitude, dealing with spirits would be Telepathy, dealing with bodies Vitakinesis. Maybe it’s even more interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I do like the idea of the Grave Mind.

I’m not sure why they made such a big deal about there being no supernatural elements in DR (they went on for like a page about this) when Faith powers by their very nature are themselves supernatural.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    After looking through the book, I have some thoughts on psionics. Overall I think that for use in the Trinity Continuum, I would say that the "Psionicist" Edge (and subsequent minor powers) would be considered a Powered Edge, while the "Psi" Edges (Biogenetics, Egokinetics, etc) would be considered Enhanced Edges in Trinity Continuum/Talent terms.

Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Honestly I'm the same. There are multiple elements in DR that I like, either piecemeal or wholly, and some things I don't (the whole gravemind thing is nope honestly) but that all said I am VERY glad I bought it, both in pdf and physical. It will fit well in my collection, especially when I do stuff post-apocalyptic and also when I need some additional Storypath stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    MythAdvocate awesome 😊. Me too. I found the setting of DR a little gritty, but it might be fun for a one shot.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Cool. I heard about Gamma World, but I never read it.

Oh, its a hoot. There is a game of a similar sort called Mutant Crawl Classics by Goodman Games. Its a great deal of fun. Along the lines of DnD 3e, but less filled with rules. Mutant powers and the tech is full of a random element that can get pretty wild pretty quickly.

Overall, I prefer a storytelling approach to such games, without too many rules to choke the game. I will check out Dystopia Rising.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Cool. I heard about Gamma World, but I never read it.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I read the book. The setting looks pretty cool, but I don’t really have any crossover ideas. I’ll wait and see what you guys come up with.
    DR is not a standard Zombi Apocalypse setting, there are a few special effects that make it unique, like the fungal infection, the grave mind, the fact that characters come back to life and a few others. You can use some of those ideas in other games, but honestly individually they are better explored in different settings, DR itself explore the combination of Apocalypse with lots of fantastical stuff.

I think the best part to incorporate into TC is the rules, specially is the part dealing with survival in general (scraps, diseases, stress, etc). There is also the Faight Edges that bring a interesting gifts to Talents (they think their faith cause the effects, but its actually their unconscious will), and maybe a different set of psi powers, particularly Necrokinesis that is really interesting effect if you are trying to create a TC setting in the dark ages, with witches, sorcerers and necromancers as varieties of Psiads with different powers.

Honestly DR is not my favourite setting, and the biggest reason I went after it is to check how the devs deal with the more gritty setting, as both TC and Scion are pretty powermonger. Yet I really end up liking the book and setting (while I do prefer the YOLO version of apocalypses), the same way I like Gamma World (since Alternity) and Omega World (from the Polyhedron magazine from early 2000s), I like the ideas and would play it, but I would not GM it due to my lack of interesting ideas related to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X