Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skills, Specialties, and Skill Tricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skills, Specialties, and Skill Tricks

    Just making sure I have this straight …

    During chargen, any and every skill that has three or more points automatically gets a specialty. The specialty adds an Enhancement to relevant rolls equal to 1 per dot at or above 3 in the skill (e.g., a skill of 3 has a 1-point specialty, a skill of 4 has a 2-point specialty).

    Also during chargen, you start with one and only one skill trick, assigned to a skill in which you have at least 3 dots.

    As you gain experience, you can buy new specialties. The relevant skill has to have at least 3 dots. You can have more than one specialty per skill.

    As you gain experience, you can buy new skill tricks. The relevant skill has to have at least 3 dots. You can have more than one skill trick per skill, but not more than the number of skill dots minus two (e.g., a 3-dot skill can have one skill trick, a 4-dot skill can have two skill tricks).

    Have I got all that?! 😊

  • #2
    Originally posted by TheophilusCarter View Post
    Just making sure I have this straight …

    During chargen, any and every skill that has three or more points automatically gets a specialty.
    Yes.

    The specialty adds an Enhancement to relevant rolls equal to 1 per dot at or above 3 in the skill (e.g., a skill of 3 has a 1-point specialty, a skill of 4 has a 2-point specialty).
    Yes, but be aware that ‘relevant rolls’ specifically means dice pools for skills other than the one the specialty is in. So if you have Aim 3 and a specialty in Pistols, you can apply the +1 Enhancement from ‘pistols’ to Culture, Science, Medicine, etc. when relevant, but not to Aim.

    Also during chargen, you start with one and only one skill trick, assigned to a skill in which you have at least 3 dots.
    Yes.

    As you gain experience, you can buy new specialties. The relevant skill has to have at least 3 dots. You can have more than one specialty per skill.
    Yes.

    As you gain experience, you can buy new skill tricks. The relevant skill has to have at least 3 dots. You can have more than one skill trick per skill, but not more than the number of skill dots minus two (e.g., a 3-dot skill can have one skill trick, a 4-dot skill can have two skill tricks).
    Yes.

    Have I got all that?! 😊
    Yes! 🙂


    Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
      Yes, but be aware that ‘relevant rolls’ specifically means dice pools for skills other than the one the specialty is in. So if you have Aim 3 and a specialty in Pistols, you can apply the +1 Enhancement from ‘pistols’ to Culture, Science, Medicine, etc. when relevant, but not to Aim.
      Ah! Thank you for pointing that out. It does indeed say that, but I managed to overlook it. That's definitely different than how a lot of systems handle specialties. Not bad or wrong, of course, but different from what I'm used to, so I think I read it a little too fast, assuming it was the same as those others. So that means that specialties aren't improved subskills so much as areas of knowledge that can be applied across skills, is that the idea? Interesting!

      Also, FYI to whomever collects such things, there's an error in the core reference booklet. The chargen summary says "For any Skills above 3 dots, gain a Specialty." That should say "at or above" I guess.

      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TheophilusCarter View Post

        Ah! Thank you for pointing that out. It does indeed say that, but I managed to overlook it. That's definitely different than how a lot of systems handle specialties. Not bad or wrong, of course, but different from what I'm used to, so I think I read it a little too fast, assuming it was the same as those others. So that means that specialties aren't improved subskills so much as areas of knowledge that can be applied across skills, is that the idea? Interesting!
        That’s the idea, yes.

        Also, FYI to whomever collects such things, there's an error in the core reference booklet. The chargen summary says "For any Skills above 3 dots, gain a Specialty." That should say "at or above" I guess.
        Thanks, we know. A few things slipped through the edits and errata. New system, new book, and all that.

        Thanks!
        You’re welcome!


        Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

        Comment

        Working...
        X