Anima: what are we expecting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lian View Post
    I think we might have some interesting interactions between the Glass and Flux after all Flux pulls things from other realities...

Lian, I don't know if that is part of Anima or not, but I think it is a really cool idea. If it isn't part of the core setting, I may have to adapt some version of that idea for one of my games.

Comment

Whether its Anima using Storypath or Legends using D&D the idea of playing a person from 'our world' that goes to a rpg mmo like place is just brilliant to me. The fact that this idea is being done in both Storypath and D&D (with various differences that make their uniqueses all the more intriguing) all the better for me.

The Storypath version is great cause of how its basically the whole mmo idea in a game - which means I really hope there are Storypath rules for playing a wizard character in said online rpg world.

Buuuut even more I really hope there is some way that the idea of Flux existing to make the rpg elements start to bleed over into the real. That a person whose physical or mental form is enhanced int he rpg suddenly starts to find some elements of said improvement in the 'real'.

Even more I would love it what was thought to be a simple computer generated world actually turns out to be a real place in the greater reality of existence.

Anyway the more I think of this the more i want it, and want it soooo badly.

----

Oooh. Sooo I can imagine that the FSA in Aeon is a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to the whole rpg mmo virtual gaming world. On one hand it allows for the government to have its people be occupied in ways that cause them no problems, but on the otherhand it leads them to having a place where they can discuss and plan and cause potential problems for said government. Still, maybe the advantages of giving the people who might protest and fight against the government's tightening strings something to do that wouldn't effect them outweighs the potential digital freedom.

I mean who cares if you don't get to vote and you only live in a tiny cubical and you only eat protein bars and you have to provide some number of work hours for random organization when you can jump into the digital world that you can eat, and sleep, and breathe and have fun in and where you own a palace and are a king and have hordes of devoted servants and experience say days of game time for hours of real life time (making this late point up).

Comment

That is an interesting point on the setting. Modern Capitalism is based on buying what you want and not only what you need, if you think that about 70% of the modern world population work on “non-essential” jobs, what Corona did now would be even worse if you imagine Robots would be capable of doing most (like 90%) of the essential jobs.

If the population start living in a world of virtually unlimited resources, that require minimal hard work and ofer minimal risk to the players (in other words, anyone can be reasonable rich), buying just the essential in the real world, it would create a void in the economics of the world. Enough to make people that would become less rich with the situation to explore bugs in the system (or create bugs thru hacking) to force people back to reality.

Man... I think I have being reading too much conspiracy theories...

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Upload, a new show on Amazon Prime, reminded me a bit of Anima. You can be uploaded into a virtual heaven while you're dying. Of course, you have to have a subscription, there are in-app purchases, and one of the characters can hack it.

Comment

On why it doesn't exist by the Trnity era, I think I'd prefer something bigger tan merely "a conspiracy got it." Maybe that played a role, but for such a society wide rejection, I think there'd have to be more to it.

My own hope is that at least part of this is an actual rejection of the idea of fleeing into cyberspace to escape the hard world. Yes, it's outlawed, but that was as much pressure from below as from above, which would fit into the more hopeful world view of this iteration of Aeon.

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
              On why it doesn't exist by the Trnity era, I think I'd prefer something bigger tan merely "a conspiracy got it." Maybe that played a role, but for such a society wide rejection, I think there'd have to be more to it
              In Aeon they mention that IA were giving some problems and mind hacking become a thing. So people start to be afraid and governments made it illegal to enhance your brain or create IAs. There is also some issue with Aberrants dealing with technology.

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
                On why it doesn't exist by the Trnity era, I think I'd prefer something bigger tan merely "a conspiracy got it." Maybe that played a role, but for such a society wide rejection, I think there'd have to be more to it.
                From my understanding, each game are just branches of the Continuum meaning that Anima is a point wherein the timeline extends out. The same will be true for Assassin's and so forth and so on.
                This means that any game does not have to fit into the timeline for any game. It just, simply, exists.
                That one thing is what appeals to me since it means that there is no metaplot..a major issue that 1E had.
                With that being said, I do not worry about how this fits into that. I go "Ok, this is just a point where a split occurs" and move on with my life.
                Unless you have plans on having a game go from Adventure to Trinity, does it even matter -IF- it fits into the timeline? And if you do, then you can include it or disclude it or come up with how it fits and why it is not used in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post

From my understanding, each game are just branches of the Continuum meaning that Anima is a point wherein the timeline extends out. The same will be true for Assassin's and so forth and so on.
                  This means that any game does not have to fit into the timeline for any game. It just, simply, exists.
                  That one thing is what appeals to me since it means that there is no metaplot..a major issue that 1E had.
                  With that being said, I do not worry about how this fits into that. I go "Ok, this is just a point where a split occurs" and move on with my life.
                  Unless you have plans on having a game go from Adventure to Trinity, does it even matter -IF- it fits into the timeline? And if you do, then you can include it or disclude it or come up with how it fits and why it is not used in the future.
                  It is actually described in Aeon, Page 26, in the timeline entry 2070-2086, and later in page 31 in The New Opnet, that Anima is also past from Aeon (not as Assassin that is suggested that didn’t happen on Aeon past, or In Media Res that would happen on the same time as Aberrant).

But, indeed you don’t need to worry on how one setting turn into the other on your game, because it’s not necessarily the same time line.

Comment

When it comes to the timeline I like to look at it as the past of previous games count but the future of future games do not. So if you play Aberrant then Adventure! stuff counts but Aeon does not, if you play Adventure! then the game about the ancoent Greek heroes might coungt but not Aberrant or Aeon. For Aeon then the pasts recorded in Adventure!, Aberrant, and Anima all count.

Thankfully, the future in Aeon does not count for either an Aberrant or an Anima game. Which is good because I always thought to say "your actions don't matter as everything will die anyway" is not a fun thing to say to players.

This said I am still a bit bothered, as I have said, that instead of the USA being the American nation in Anima its probably going to be the FSA. That really does bother me, and is probably one of those things I would just sort of say "nope" to and probably gloss over in my telling of things to people. (I'm also not a super fan of the whole Aberrant War thing either, but that I can get over by simply mentioning a great war happened and such.)

Actually, come to think of it, depending on how Anima plays out (I mean no matter what I am buying and or kickstarter backing it) I might simply have it be an alternate future from the present rather than the events after the setting of Aberrant. Hmmmm

Comment

I talk a bit about Anima in the latest Onyx Pathcast: http://theonyxpath.com/episode-105-w...an-a-a-watson/

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        I talk a bit about Anima in the latest Onyx Pathcast: http://theonyxpath.com/episode-105-w...an-a-a-watson/
                        While I respect the other two individuals a lot I wish you spoke a bit more in the podcast itself.

That said, what was said was quite interesting on numerous levels.

One element that I really liked was the whole "You can play in a fantasy world since its a mmo", so I hope that idea stays. I also really liked how you guys mentioned LITRPG as both an inspiration and something you are aware of. It makes me hope that you have it so that Glass is something that not just connects to virtual worlds but could actually lead to places that are real and formed of say manifested reality Flux. And stuff like that.

Honestly, while Assassins is interesting out of this and that it is this that I am really really looking forward too. There is so much potential in this and its going to be fascinating to see what you guys do with it.

Some of the things I look forward to is hearing how Glass is made - its got to be at least Inspired tech if not something else - and what the powered template is gonna be cause I doubt the people are normal humans with Glass embodied in their heads (which is a bizarre way to put it, lol). Also, since this is Aeon I wonder what the Society is doing during the period where virtual worlds are popping up and people might or might not be dissapearing. hehe

Anyway, thanks for this, the game seems interesting and I look forward to both hearing more and buying it whenever it is kickstarted or it simply comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                          Just finished the episode, it was awesome! I am now VERY much looking forward to Anima.

Comment

This all sounds fascinating. Can’t wait for Anima.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                              Some of the things I look forward to is hearing how Glass is made - its got to be at least Inspired tech if not something else - and what the powered template is gonna be cause I doubt the people are normal humans with Glass embodied in their heads (which is a bizarre way to put it, lol). Also, since this is Aeon I wonder what the Society is doing during the period where virtual worlds are popping up and people might or might not be dissapearing. hehe
                              This is interesting, because it’s probably something invented by Novas (or at least was latter said to be invented by Novas or controllable by novas) as people abandoned it almost completely in the following 40 years.

I am really interested in the setting for various reasons, of of them is I love Cyberpunk and I don’t like the systems used in most of the cyberpunk RPGs available. They usually have issues to make VR fun or (like in shadow run) were changed to make it more a AR instead of a VR (so people in it and out of it will interact more).

Also, Matrix, there is no game with a good approach on how a character works in and out of the Matrix, with downloadable skills and things like that. As Memories can be transferred and copied, I believe we will see this kind of thing available in Anima and it is great!

Comment

I listen to Pathcast with Ian, and they mention that Tad Williams Otherland books series is one of inspirations. It's great to me, as I was reading it whole on my 17 year old summer camps - and great mind image for how the MMO part can work. / Even if I thought the plot of books were a bit too nebulous and convoluted. :/ /

In Pathcast is also mentioned Ready Player One movie as inspiration - so here is official trailer for it. Cool setting it seems to be forged, this TC: Anima!

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                                LGBT+ through Ages
                                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                                X