Aberrant War ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant War ideas?

So I am gearing up to have my game set during the Aberrant War. What might be some compelling scenarios to put my group through during such an era? We’re into a mix of role playing and action. Currently I have some characters with Terat leanings though they are relatively moral by baseline standards and some who lean more towards humanity in general. None of them are above killing when the occasion calls for it. Any thoughts? Oh as an aside, I am running this as a 1st edition game since we started this game before there was even a 2nd edition on the horizon.

It depends on when during the war you set things. According to the 2E book, after Wycoff's Blight in 2061, the US government switched from a registration to a kill on sight doctrine regarding Novas, and the military immediately took out over a dozen low powered ones, prompting a Nova exodus out of the country over the next year. This sounds to me like the government may have had the army show up to the houses of law abiding citizens in the middle of the night, and executed them while they slept as a message to the powerful and/or hidden criminal Novas they couldn't easily kill.

While your players may not appreciate nocturnal ambushes from well armed military units (and playing separate encounters for each home would be time consuming), you could have a friendly Nova contact get killed in the purge. How will the party react to the government killing their friend like that? Maybe have them hear about a known Nova antagonist getting gunned down first, then use the death of their friend as a wham line cliffhanger at the end of the session.

Comment

My view of the Aberrant War (1st Ed at least) is that it was pretty “calm” for a long time, gaining scale for years before most of people noticed it was a global issue. I mean, in 1E, we had more than 40 years from the official timeline start (2008) to the war being declared.

If you go thru the core book you start with Utopia as an utopian society to the improvement of the world, that may be little corrupted. Thru the other books you get an degrading image, but the general population don’t follow this steps as we do, they still see Pax as the good guy, they still see T2M as the ones doing the right things, they even believe Corbin was the killer of Slider. Of course there was lots of Organizations against Novas, but Novas were still the thing...

The next 20 years everything gone bad, but even so the population were not openly against Novas in general, only the “Bad Novas”, Terats, Aberrants and some of the Elites. But suddenly there was no way to negate novas went crazy, I don’t think it was the cumulative of events that made that change, I think there was a big event that did this job.

I would make it a media event, not a big event, but a minor one that were used to trigger, one low rank T2M that kill civilians in front of a camera, or a high rank Utopian that said something against someone important (like USA president). Suddenly the general population stop seeing Utopia as heroic and force Aeon to shut down Utopia to avoid an worse destine.

It must occur sometime before the big events of the war, probably around 2047.

It would be my first Aberrant War story if I war the storyteller...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Mateus Luz I played in an Aberrant game where our ST ran the story “Where Heaven Ends” from Aberrant Worldwide Phase Two (except she didn’t use the Angel of Bones because we all agreed he was stupid and kind of gross). Basically there was a huge brawl at the Amp Room club on Ibiza between T2M and the Teragen. The Teragen leader Geryon killed Slider (our ST basically got rid of the whole Slider murder mystery backstory) and a few other neutrals who were just there to party and hook up were also killed during the fight. The tragic death of a media darling like Slider and a bunch of other innocent people totally turned worldwide public sentiment against novas in general, not just the Teragen.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          Mateus Luz I played in an Aberrant game where our ST ran the story “Where Heaven Ends” from Aberrant Worldwide Phase Two (except she didn’t use the Angel of Bones because we all agreed he was stupid and kind of gross). Basically there was a huge brawl at the Amp Room club on Ibiza between T2M and the Teragen. The Teragen leader Geryon killed Slider (our ST basically got rid of the whole Slider murder mystery backstory) and a few other neutrals who were just there to party and hook up were also killed during the fight. The tragic death of a media darling like Slider and a bunch of other people totally turned worldwide public sentiment against novas in general, not just the Teragen.
          That’s one good example of the “using media to start officially the war”. Thanks for your idea, I will steal it and maybe use it soon... but I will later tell the players it was an stolen idea and credit you (or your GM if you prefer)...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Mateus Luz you can credit me 😇

Glad you like it. For real.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewm9 View Post
              So I am gearing up to have my game set during the Aberrant War. What might be some compelling scenarios to put my group through during such an era? We’re into a mix of role playing and action. Currently I have some characters with Terat leanings though they are relatively moral by baseline standards and some who lean more towards humanity in general. None of them are above killing when the occasion calls for it. Any thoughts? Oh as an aside, I am running this as a 1st edition game since we started this game before there was even a 2nd edition on the horizon.
              Right off the bat, I would say that the biggest threat to the Novas during these initial stages of the war are other Novas. Especially Elite bounty hunters (as-in the Nova mercenaries) and tech-oriented Novas. After that would be enhanced soldiers (Mitoids, cyborgs), robotic troops and such. All backed up by long range using baselines.

Full on combat with Novas is AWFUL. I ran 1e games for a few years and the sheer power of Novas is devastating. The mega attribute Novas being the most immediate threat in a fight, with those centered around Quantum powers running out of juice more swiftly.

In my games, the police and military had variations of the Dangard Armored Warrior (Aberrant Underworld pp. 61-62) armed with assorted scary tech. Devices that could drain quantum from a Nova target exist, but are experimental and prone to exploding.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
              Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

Right off the bat, I would say that the biggest threat to the Novas during these initial stages of the war are other Novas. Especially Elite bounty hunters (as-in the Nova mercenaries) and tech-oriented Novas. After that would be enhanced soldiers (Mitoids, cyborgs), robotic troops and such. All backed up by long range using baselines.

Full on combat with Novas is AWFUL. I ran 1e games for a few years and the sheer power of Novas is devastating. The mega attribute Novas being the most immediate threat in a fight, with those centered around Quantum powers running out of juice more swiftly.

In my games, the police and military had variations of the Dangard Armored Warrior (Aberrant Underworld pp. 61-62) armed with assorted scary tech. Devices that could drain quantum from a Nova target exist, but are experimental and prone to exploding.
                Yeah, combat was really deadly. The comic book HARD Corps does something cool that their temporary powers they graft on their super soldiers are typically defensive, movement or crowd-control related as conventional arms are plenty harmful to the (funny enough) psions in their universe. When we played, there was a lot of "do you maybe want to take some armor/endurance/forcefield/regeneration even though your nova is an inside hero?" during second attempts at CharGen.

We never got to the Aberrant War but I think my idea was that lost in time is the fact that most low-level novas still had their humanity intact and fought against the lunatic and extremists but were generally about as effective as a 4th gen fighter jet rather than an ICBM.

I love (LOVE) the idea of the Elite mercenaries being used to hunt mid-range Novas as a shadow war. Super Lex Lutherian there - as opposed to Lex Lutheran which is when a rich bald guy nails a bunch of religious complaints to a church door.

Comment

Queen Anne Country 😂😂😂😂 your last sentence. But I totally agree with the whole last paragraph.

Comment

I think a big question is--do you want your players to have a meaningful hope of stopping or moderating it, or do you want a setting where they have to try to endure a conflict that has already run out of control. The further into the conflict you get, the less likely it is that anyone can actually stop it.

Comment

Ideally it needs to be bad enough to ensure they leave Earth behind, but I still want the PC’s to have regrets about doing so. Perhaps some unresolved issue or a relative, etc.

Comment

I always had the idea that some of the really powerful novas held back, that they refrained from using their powers to the maximum level. An event could be that the players either aid said novas in deciding to hold back OR they talk to said novas to actually use their powers to the fullest.

Or, the nova characters themselves could be the ones that need to decide whether they hold back, maybe something could happen and they need to solve a mystery or gather some materials or develop a tech or an item to ether aid them in this or to force others to not use their powers.

Another idea is that the Aberrant War is in the backdrop and the forefront is trying to explore other worlds to see about building a colony outside of Earth's jurisdiction. This can be made harder because certain necessary resources for this are being held by corporate, government, or anti-nova operations. Imagine the players really needing Resource X but its only held by a stalwart anti-nova faction, if they choose to try and get the resource they risk causing an escalation of the violence.

Another option is that maybe they are novas that while supporting nova rights also think that maybe some novas are going too far - so maybe they work to defend novas while also policing their own kind from super horrible acts or maybe they work to be a bridge between Aeon Society and the Novas, maybe even being the one that both Divis Mal and the Aeon Society talk to as middlemen.

Just some options.

Comment

LordHeru love the last option

Comment

Working...
                          X