Aberrant - Superhero Fiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant - Superhero Fiction

Question about the Aberrant universe. Does it have our worlds (or their own) superhero fiction? Does it have Superman comics? Do the marvel movies exist etc?

Short Answer: Yes

Long answer: Not necessarily the same. As far as I know, the world in Aberrant is the same as ours except for details and secrets that don’t impact on the general life of people... until Galetea at least. If the characters are the same, it is not relevant, but once Novas erupted, people start comparing them to the superheroes from the comics.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

That's really cool. I've really just "discovered" Aberrant properly with 2nd edition despite being a White Wolf WOD and Chronicles fan for the longest time. Whenever I run World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness games I assume that most fiction is the same and characters/NPC's will reference it (nicknaming Mages "Potters", having people reference Buffy, Stephanie Meyer etc). So I was wondering if Aberrant would do the same.

Its something that always seems so strange to me with other superhero setting is that they rarely reference superhero fiction (I mean they do sometimes of course but not as often as you'd think).

I often wondered if superheroes suddenly became real how MANY Novas would just say "screw it" and call themselves Superman as their alias. Or how in any given city there might be 6-7 Pyrokenetics with the alias "Pyro" because its just the best/most obvious one.

Comment

I would also suggest that superhero comics are largely a pre-“N Day” phenomenon — or at least drastically changed after N-Day. The comic book superpowers are no longer the main draw, and the escapist version of comic books is more likely too switch to sci-fi and/or fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          I would also suggest that superhero comics are largely a pre-“N Day” phenomenon — or at least drastically changed after N-Day. The comic book superpowers are no longer the main draw, and the escapist version of comic books is more likely too switch to sci-fi and/or fantasy.
          Much like what happened in Watchmen universe, as the first masked Vigilantes started showing up, people abandoned the pulp and early superhero stories and moved to other themes. In the 80s Pirates were a very popular theme, and in the original comics we have a parallel story of a pirate that was popular during the events of the comics.

Comment

I adore the Pirate Comics touch in Watchmen. Oh yes I assume after N-Day it would all change, good point

.....I mean you'd still have superhero fiction but it would just be "Real World" fiction/stories. Like The Fireman and Team Tomorrow Cinematic Universe. Or a new "Law and Order Nova Victims Unit".

Comment

Perhaps. The main point I was thinking of is that comic book writers would now be competing with the news media: why wait for a comic book to publish a monthly 32-page story of fictional superheroes when you can tune into the news and hear the exploits of the real deal?

Comment

Thomas.Bagley you and your gf look cute together

My friend told me he found this website Steve Kenson did about an Aberrant 1e Campaign years ago he ran where the PCs met a nova who called himself Spider-Man (webshooters and all). Then it turned out that the nova was actually fighting crime as like a living ad for the Marvel franchise.

Obviously for copyright reasons this will never be in an official sourcebook, but you could do something like that in your game if you wanted. I also like Watchmen’s idea about pirate comics.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

In 1e, Novas become the center of all media. N! is an example, a channel on TV just for Nova related news, but there are toys, cards, XWF, Nova Olympics (that took away all the fun of regular Olympic). I would say there are comics on existent novas and superheroes (not as popular as the existent novas), but they are not for adults trying to escape reality, it’s more focused on kids playing and dreaming to be Novas, think about them as Paw Patrol, but with Novas instead of puppies...

in The Boys, Sups have their own movies and all... that is also interesting.

Comment

1E actually did have those comics, they were quasi-fictional tales of T2M exploits that were de-classified, edited, and released to the public. The APG features a bit of dialogue wherein Skew of T2M was complaining to one of the artist directors about how his hair looked, and expounded upon how bad the written lines were. So yeah, in such a world they'd print comics, they would be more like biographical works that are somewhat fictionalized but the medium would still be there.

Comment

Darksol-aeternium cool. I didn’t know that.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                        1E actually did have those comics, they were quasi-fictional tales of T2M exploits that were de-classified, edited, and released to the public. The APG features a bit of dialogue wherein Skew of T2M was complaining to one of the artist directors about how his hair looked, and expounded upon how bad the written lines were. So yeah, in such a world they'd print comics, they would be more like biographical works that are somewhat fictionalized but the medium would still be there.
                        Which I think has been the in-universe case in Marvel at times. I’m Into the Spider-verse, Miles at one point has a licensed Spider-Man comic (commentary track confirms that is uses a fake name and life for Spider-Man’s identity, but based details like the bite and coming into his powers on interviews with Spider-Man)

So yeah, I assume license T2M, Elites, Nippontai, etc comic’s are huge.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-20-2020, 02:59 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                          Thomas.Bagley you and your gf look cute together

My friend told me he found this website Steve Kenson did about an Aberrant 1e Campaign years ago he ran where the PCs met a nova who called himself Spider-Man (webshooters and all). Then it turned out that the nova was actually fighting crime as like a living ad for the Marvel franchise.

Obviously for copyright reasons this will never be in an official sourcebook, but you could do something like that in your game if you wanted. I also like Watchmen’s idea about pirate comics.
                          Thank you! That's my darling wife (9 year anniversary this year!) She really carries our photos ....AND my ass in Gears of War co-op, I'm a very lucky Gamer nerd

That's SO cool about Steve Kensons campaign, I am SO stealing that idea haha.

Comment

I DO forget how often even marvel and DC reference other superhero media.

Now I'm thinking of what "reality TV shows" the Aberrant universe would have.

Also APS! like a "Where is the nearest Nova battle/sighting AP" or "Beware this area of New York is being affected by a Nova battle" like a bad weather AP, but for superhero destruction. They would sell BIG time.

As an Australian I really LOVE their setting description of Australia (NOT something that always works out well in Superhero settings, if we are mentioned at ALL).

Comment

Thomas.Bagley awesome 😊. You should totally steal it. And yeah, I ended up preordering Aberrant 2e on BackerKit, so I’m definitely gonna read it over when it finally comes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X