Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aberrant - Superhero Fiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It has been a trope of DC and Marvel that those companies do exist in their respective universes. They tell stories similar to the whole Law and Order thing of "Based on true stories" thing. When Team Tomorrow stops some high quantum nova who has gone psycho due to pushing his powers too often, then the news covers the facts but it is in the comics that the nova is secretly related to Slider and has a crush on Pax and did this all to get Pax's attention.

    Comment


    • #17
      In Aberrant first edition, the XWF has comics, action figures and games, like the real-world WWE, presumably based on the 'kayfabe' characters rather than the real Novas' lives. (And figures of other Novas were licensed by various groups, some of them presumably made as 'satire' like the real-world toys of political figures, so there are underground Teragen webcomics and the like as well.)

      Also, Trinity Continuum has some real-world fiction actually happening in the setting, like The Most Dangerous Game, while other fiction is established as fiction. So bookshelves are going to be different before Galatea, and you get to decide how!

      And Adventure! first edition had Dracula as a book-style vampire, and a passing reference to Henry Jones Jr. It also had the opening fiction presented as coming from the Aeon Society's own magazine (an idea which didn't really catch on but could be interesting to explore).

      I imagine the current boom in superhero live-action media would peter out when actual superhumans show up - though maybe not entirely due to its popularity, like we still have car chase movies as well as news footage of real car chases.

      Superhero media becomes one of the inspirations for Nova style, and Nova characters start appearing in 'regular' media. And they can look forward to unfavourable comparisons to the most popular fictional supers...
      Last edited by Craig Oxbrow; 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM.


      Craig Oxbrow
      The Trinity Continuum freelancer

      Comment


      • #18
        I can only imagine the Netflix documentaries about Novas.

        Comment


        • #19
          I would keep Marvel and DC focused in their own multiverses, with maybe some special edition of Novas crossing into their universes, or their heroes coming to TC, much like those specials where a hero crosses to an universe with no other supers, a reader crosses into the comic universe.

          Also, as Datawever suggested, I would move the characters to a more space or inter dimensional setting, bringing more heroes to Guardians of the Galaxy / X-Force (I am not sure if its X-Force they have mutants going around the universe... there are so many X-men...), or exploring Ghost Rider cosmology, for Marvel, for DC I would go to the Green Lanterns (not the ones on Earth) and the Dr Fate. It would put the comics in the same condition as in ours world.

          By 2028, most of the novas are still mentally sane, only a few are crazy and even the guys from Aberrant (in 2e) have a pretty good reason for what they did (overreacted, for sure, but they had a good reason, prejudice is a serious thing), so there are no Big Nova Battles around the town or anything. Nova battles happens between mercenaries in wars (far from public, or at least the public that they care) or in the XWF (inside a controlled environment), so there is no reports for nova battles in the news, at least not often.
          Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-21-2020, 02:28 PM.


          House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

          Comment


          • #20
            It used to be a thing in the Fantastic Four comics that they had their own officially licensed monthly comic/magazine for kids.

            My own thoughts are that, yes, the world of Aberrant is mostly identical to our own, up until the eruption of Novas. At that point, any public interest in existing fictional superheroes drops to near nil, save among hardcore collectors and historians. But this is replaced with an even bigger fascination with Novas, with many of them copyrighting/trademarking their names and likenesses, and signing licensing deals for t-shirts, toys, comics, fanzines, hip hop albums, and everything else. No one will be able to call themselves Batman or whatever without being hit with a law suit by the owners of that intellectual property, but by that point, a lot of those IPs may be so devalued that the companies are actively trying to sell or license them to new Novas as prepackaged identities.


            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

            Comment


            • #21
              I was just thinking that the first generation of novas might look to the heroes that they grew up with as a sort of idea to try and live up to.

              Example. A super intelligent nova might be like "I like Tony Stark and so I want to be like him, super company, super suite, all that stuff." He then does that, going to become a world famous man called the Metal Titan, which is totally not based off on Iron Man he says with lawyers looking behind him.

              As years go on other people might turn towards the Metal Titan as the icon to emulate but when they do they will note how he says it was Iron Man comics that made him think of what a hero would be. Which then would lead them to finding and reading and enjoying the iron man comics and movies and such. Which could lead to it surviving and such.

              Same with nova groups - a group of novas come together and they create an organization that they call 'The Protectors", which is tottally not 'The Avengers' so stop asking about it person, especially when my lawyers are behind me.

              But yeah, I think that while maybe new comic characters based on purely fictional people won't continue I could totally see something like the greats "Batman, Iron Man, Superman, the Avengers, etc" still continuing.

              Oh. And I could totally see a remake for say Superman or Iron Man coming out with Novas either as the actors themselves or behind the scenes technicians to make the thing all the more enthralling. This would probably fade as time goes on but how many adults would totally go "Look, I get it, real supers now exist, but I grew up watching Superman and now that we can do it I want to make the definitive movie about him."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                I was just thinking that the first generation of novas might look to the heroes that they grew up with as a sort of idea to try and live up to.

                Example. A super intelligent nova might be like "I like Tony Stark and so I want to be like him, super company, super suite, all that stuff." He then does that, going to become a world famous man called the Metal Titan, which is totally not based off on Iron Man he says with lawyers looking behind him.
                "
                And such a person would have to try extra hard not to spoof Iron Man the way Society of Virtue already has.

                The "definitive" movie about the classic characters sounds like something that would come out of James Cameron's mouth. All while Spielberg directs the film "Nova" that they actually had in 1E Aberrant canon.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                  I would keep Marvel and DC focused in their own multiverses, with maybe some special edition of Novas crossing into their universes, or their heroes coming to TC, much like those specials where a hero crosses to an universe with no other supers, a reader crosses into the comic universe.

                  Also, as Datawever suggested, I would move the characters to a more space or inter dimensional setting, bringing more heroes to Guardians of the Galaxy / X-Force (I am not sure if its X-Force they have mutants going around the universe... there are so many X-men...), or exploring Ghost Rider cosmology, for Marvel, for DC I would go to the Green Lanterns (not the ones on Earth) and the Dr Fate. It would put the comics in the same condition as in ours world.

                  By 2028, most of the novas are still mentally sane, only a few are crazy and even the guys from Aberrant (in 2e) have a pretty good reason for what they did (overreacted, for sure, but they had a good reason, prejudice is a serious thing), so there are no Big Nova Battles around the town or anything. Nova battles happens between mercenaries in wars (far from public, or at least the public that they care) or in the XWF (inside a controlled environment), so there is no reports for nova battles in the news, at least not often.
                  I agree, going cosmic/extra dimensional would be the way to go.

                  Forgive a possibly stupid question (I'm just reading over the pre-release PDF book now for the first time) but just to clarify, there aren't many superhero battles in cities in Aberrant? The classic superheroes battling super criminals in downtown New York or whatever is uncommon? What do PC Novas typically DO in the setting? Are they more mercenary military forces or emergency response etc?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Generally speaking, the default mode on Aberrant is not the traditional 4-color style supers. The game assumes the characters are relatively normal people granted extraordinary power, but there is no mandate to put on a costume, maintain a secret identity and punch bad guys. The same applies to so-called "villains". Why rob a bank when your inventions and product endorsements can make you fabulously wealthy with little personal risk.

                    That being said, for action-oriented campaigns, there are organizations across the government and private spectrum eager to employ novas for high-risk endeavors . This is is not even counting the nova's in question pursuing personal agendas that may bring them into conflict with other novas.


                    The Artificer's Workshop - A collection of Exalted Artifacts
                    Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      That's interesting. I figured it was less of a heroes VS villains set-up which is cool, but I guess I still assumed that different Nova factions or groups would still clash violently every once in a while.

                      I suppose I'm trying to wrap my head around where the conflict in the game comes from? Like what would the goal a typical Aberrant adventure/scenario be?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Craig Oxbrow thanks. I didn’t know all that stuff. That’s awesome.


                        “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post
                          In Aberrant first edition, the XWF has comics, action figures and games, like the real-world WWE, presumably based on the 'kayfabe' characters rather than the real Novas' lives. (And figures of other Novas were licensed by various groups, some of them presumably made as 'satire' like the real-world toys of political figures, so there are underground Teragen webcomics and the like as well.)

                          Also, Trinity Continuum has some real-world fiction actually happening in the setting, like The Most Dangerous Game, while other fiction is established as fiction. So bookshelves are going to be different before Galatea, and you get to decide how!

                          And Adventure! first edition had Dracula as a book-style vampire, and a passing reference to Henry Jones Jr. It also had the opening fiction presented as coming from the Aeon Society's own magazine (an idea which didn't really catch on but could be interesting to explore).

                          I imagine the current boom in superhero live-action media would peter out when actual superhumans show up - though maybe not entirely due to its popularity, like we still have car chase movies as well as new footage of real car chases.

                          Superhero media becomes one of the inspirations for Nova style, and Nova characters start appearing in 'regular' media. And they can look forward to unfavourable comparisons to the most popular fictional supers...
                          Agreed that that is all SUPER cool . I do love me some meta fiction stuff.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                            Generally speaking, the default mode on Aberrant is not the traditional 4-color style supers. The game assumes the characters are relatively normal people granted extraordinary power, but there is no mandate to put on a costume, maintain a secret identity and punch bad guys. The same applies to so-called "villains". Why rob a bank when your inventions and product endorsements can make you fabulously wealthy with little personal risk.
                            Yeah, this is a world where even someone with a seemingly odd or unspectacular power (think characters like Cypher or Gypsy Moth from older Marvel comics, or a bunch of characters from My Hero Academia) can turn themselves - or be turned by a company - into a marketable commodity and recognizable brand name with a bare minimum of effort, especially in the early days. Novas who become criminals are usually either mentally unwell or fanatically devoted to some sort of cause.


                            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Thomas.Bagley View Post
                              That's interesting. I figured it was less of a heroes VS villains set-up which is cool, but I guess I still assumed that different Nova factions or groups would still clash violently every once in a while.

                              I suppose I'm trying to wrap my head around where the conflict in the game comes from? Like what would the goal a typical Aberrant adventure/scenario be?
                              If you think there are about 2k novas in the world, you can go around without finding a Nova pretty easy. You would see them on the news (scientific, political, celebrities, everything) all the time, and they are everywhere in the media (they are in the outdoors, in the big screams in Times Square, etc.), but MOST of the novas are not flying around on super suits.

                              There is no hard rule on the conflicts, you can put T2M fighting Aberrants anywhere you want as many times as you wish, but usually, when the game goes around violence and physical conflict I suggest a story around a team of Elites (nova mercs), fighting wars or assassinating /protecting people for money. You can even think about a nova dictator in a small country, and sending T2M to put him down, but it would not be the most common event.

                              Terats in 2028 are usually more focused on philosophical aspect of the Nova condition than about killing people. Aberrants are an exception, but they are against killing Novas, they only kill baselines, and even them don’t go out killing people, usually they have reasons.

                              Another option, is take your game a few years in the future 2040s when novas are getting crazy and the Aberrants are openly killing baselines for no reason. You can have a group of Aberrant Hunters going after novas that went crazy, or just too violent.

                              My last game went around finding a Nova Inventor that start selling his inventions just to get more money to invent more. A gang of Narcos start selling his inventions in the black market and kept him locked on a laboratory they build for him (he was kind of Savant, and didn’t care about anything other than inventing stuff). They fought some baselines with nova tech and in the end had some issues to arrest the inventor (as he had Mega Stamina 5 and nothing could pass thru his skin).


                              House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

                                Yeah, this is a world where even someone with a seemingly odd or unspectacular power (think characters like Cypher or Gypsy Moth from older Marvel comics, or a bunch of characters from My Hero Academia) can turn themselves - or be turned by a company - into a marketable commodity and recognizable brand name with a bare minimum of effort, especially in the early days. Novas who become criminals are usually either mentally unwell or fanatically devoted to some sort of cause.
                                That's a very fair point. I mean there ARE plenty of criminals that don't do crime for money (murderers serial killers etc). But money (or lack of it) is a BIG motivator for crime.

                                The cause thing would be a BIG one for criminal antagonists I can imagine. Like "I have the powers of a god so now I'm going to eradicate my local KKK group. Or assassinate this world leader I feel is a evil dictator etc etc".

                                For those that have run games in this setting before. What threats/enemies antagonists did your group of players have? Like what would a typical adventure/mission/conflict/scenario look like?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X