Artificial Intelligences and Psionics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Intelligences and Psionics

Okay, so in a game I am running, using Aeon as my current base system, we have Synthetic Lifeforms (A leftover from the Stars Without Numbers game). While I've been ruling that the important NPC Synthetics have basically been Aberrants the whole time (They have Luck Based powers) we've reached a point in the story where we are in Synth Territory, and the question of "Do Vitakenetics and Telepathy work on Synths?", which is a very good question.

Now, I know in the Past of Trinity, there are true Artificial Intelligences. Right now, in Aeon, most AI is limited to Satisfactory Intelligences (SI's), and while I do have SI's in the game running and doing their own more limited program stuff, Synthetic Lifeforms are a bit different. They have their own will, and do their own things.

Due to everything have a Noetic Connection, in theory, you should be able to use Psionic Powers upon them. I for sure would expect this to be working in Abberant, when it comes out, because reading Ultron's Mind should just be a thing, I think. However, there isn't anything specific in Aeon talking about this. It's assumed that all Droids are networked and are running SI's to limit their ability. Also, Electrokenesis tends to overlap a lot of things you would want to do as a Telepath to Electronics, which Synthetics most likely are.

What I am looking for are opinions on how much Psionics affects things that are Transhuman? If Droids have enough will to be self determinate, does that allow Psionics that work on Free will to be affected? Does that allow for healing that isn't connected to regeneration of flesh?

It's an important issue in my game, but it's not necessarily as important to the universe of Aeon, although with Dangerous Self Aware AI's being part of AEON's past and possibly a threat from the Aberrant side of things, it might be worth thinking more about.

Thank you for any opinions you wish to contribute.

I think Telepathy should work on AIs. Vitakinesis and Biokinesis only affect living tissue, but Electrokinesis should definitely work on hardtech entities.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I would make a hard tech AI immune to Telepathy, BK and VK. Technokinesis (from EK) and Transmutation (from QK) can affect Robots as any object (Transmutation 4 can be used to “heal” objects).

Now explanation:

BK and VK for sure don’t work, EK and QK for sure work, because the rule is linked to organic/ inorganic matter.

Telepathy is a hard guess, as it requires a theory on how it works and how a true AÍ would work, so... my guess is Dont work on hard tech but work on biotech AI due to the noetic aspect (or my will as SG).
      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 06-09-2020, 12:28 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

In products coming up - Telepathy and VK don’t work on hardtech AIs. EK does and generally covers the mind reading and influence aspects through data reading and ‘reprogramming’. QK Transmutation can help with healing but may be a temporary fix if sufficient materials aren’t available.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Hmmm. Good point. I didn’t think of Quantakinesis.

Does Telepathy only work on organic minds?

Comment

Yes, and there are penalties for using Telepathy on alien minds. So, the less human the mind, the harder it is to use on them. Inorganic minds are just too different to affect.

Comment

Florin thank you. I didn’t realize that, but it makes sense.

Comment

Don't forget the possibility of two Psions working together to produce combo effects. A Telepath teaming up with a weak Electrokinetic may be able to affect an AI in the same way a Biokinetic teaming up with a Vitakinetic can target others with an Aptitude that normally only works on himself.

Comment

I'm not sure I like Telepathy not working on AI minds. Like I get penaltieis and such but I think it should still work.

That said I am withholding judgement till I get to read the book where I figure a longer exaplanation is given.

Comment

I would allow a player use Telepathy on electronic AI if the character have a auxiliary mode on Technokinesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                      Don't forget the possibility of two Psions working together to produce combo effects. A Telepath teaming up with a weak Electrokinetic may be able to affect an AI in the same way a Biokinetic teaming up with a Vitakinetic can target others with an Aptitude that normally only works on himself.
                      This is precisely the kinds of edge cases that the combining Aptitudes rules are intended to be used for. TC:A’s theme is Unity and while individual psions are incredibly powerful, as they explore and discover more of what the universe has to offer they’ll find more and more situations where they must work together and combine abilities to overcome the challenges.

Reading true AI is such a case. Telepathy won’t completely work as the mind is too alien. EK won’t completely work as the programming has an additional element. Combine the two and you can overcome the limitations of both and communicate effectively.

This is a limitation that some other psi users won’t have because they haven’t been artificially enhanced *and* limited. A psiad with telepathy and EK probably wouldn’t even register there was a problem. Nor would the Doyen.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      I would allow a player use Telepathy on electronic AI if the character have a auxiliary mode on Technokinesis.
                      As ever, do as you please in you game, but psions explicitly cannot combine Auxiliary Modes with anything else. They need to work together as an intentional (Doyen) design limitation. In theory it makes them easier to control...

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

As ever, do as you please in you game, but psions explicitly cannot combine Auxiliary Modes with anything else. They need to work together as an intentional (Doyen) design limitation. In theory it makes them easier to control...
                        In theory a Psiad could do it though, right?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

In theory a Psiad could do it though, right?
                          See my comment just above my quote of Mateus!

Comment

This is one thing I always forget about. I think I will write it somewhere in the Psion character sheets to not forget when playing. Thanks for reminding...

Comment

See my comment just above my quote of Mateus!
                              Whoops, missed that! Thanks!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X