Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Star Trek Universe be the future of the TC timeline after Aeon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the Star Trek Universe be the future of the TC timeline after Aeon?

A friend of mine really likes Star Trek and he was asking me this.

I guess the question is would it work both historically and thematically. Obviously you would have to change a few of the alien races and some of the technology, but a lot of that could be accounted for by the 250 year gap between Aeon and Star Trek. Also, you would have to either add psions to the Star Trek universe or explain what happened to them.

What do you guys think?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

What? I did not read Aeon itself but I always assumed from interviews and forum posts that Aeon era IS, basically, Star Trek future - with utopian world government, hyper drives, interspecies alliances.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-21-2020, 05:05 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

...Think the Storypath game engine can be used to run Star Trek. So yes it can be done.
      But I hesitate to try and combine the lore.

Putting aside the internal inconsistencies with the Star Trek's own cannon, there are a large number of errors that arise trying to bolt the two together. Ironically the broadstrokes are surprisingly close in places. The Aberrant War can replace the Eugenics War, as an example (though there is a thirty year difference) or WW3. Heck, Aeon itself is set only a little before Star Trek Enterprise is set. So you can treat it as a prequel of sorts
      Psions then, are easy to remove; 2063 (first contact) happens well before the Promethean Chambers are developed and Vulcans have a natural Psi rating (mind meld = Telepathy aptitude), albeit one capped low, which would lower the immediate concerns of the Doyen. (It would make them more paranoid about moving against humanity openly, more likely to use other species as proxies.) Even if that doesn't work, someone could find out about the secret issues with the chambers and blow them before Cpt. Archer was born, let alone anyone else. Star Trek is filled more with Talents anyway.
      A bigger issue is the FTL aspects; Star Trek Warp engines work very much like Trinity Q-Tech Warp engines. And almost none of Star Trek's ship are bio-organic. Discovery's spore drive is the closet to the Leviathan jump drive...but it is still way off.

Still it does depend on which aspects are more important to you and your friend. The game can be used to run Star Trek-like adventures already.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

No. Too many differences in underlying assumptions and technologies.

Could you run Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off with Aeon rules? Yes.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

FallenEco thank you!!! This was very detailed and super helpful.

To everybody: thanks for answering. Really appreciate the feedback.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

No. Too many differences in underlying assumptions and technologies.

Could you run Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off with Aeon rules? Yes.

What Bunyip says here is correct. I can and would totally run a Star Trek game with the Æon rules, but setting-wise there are too many differences.

That said...

----
            The Aberrant War left Earth devastated. Even after the Aberrants had been forced off-planet by the Chinese Ultimatum in 2061, it took decades for the nations of the world to recover.

Possibly inspired by the Aberrants' use of space warps to travel distances, entrepreneur and scientist Zephram Cochrane developed a prototype FTL engine he called "warp drive" from a rural Montana facility in 2063. Although initially motivated by greed, he quickly realized the potential ramifications for humanity. The recovery of Earth had begun.

While warp drive was still useful for Earth's immediate neighbourhood, it still took several weeks-to-months to travel longer distances. While this was still a vast improvement over the centuries such travels would have taken previously, it still left interstellar travel, exploration, and colonization largely constrained to the closest handful of star systems. No one could break the vaunted warp five barrier.

Then the psions appeared.

In the early 2100s, psions of all stripes manifested to combat the returned Aberrants. These included teleporters, who had been given a set of psi coordinates for more distant systems ripe for colonization. While this made instant travel possible, it was only to a small set of pre-defined worlds, or anywhere else the psion had personally seen. Even after the advent of the Leviathan-class jumpships in 2119, the relative cost and scarcity meant most freighters and other private craft were still limited to low warp speeds.

Fortunately, a research breakthrough led to the development of the warp 5 engine, the first capable of hitting warp 5. This led to a new wave of exploration from the new Earth Starfleet, spearheaded by the first warp 5 ship, the Enterprise, in 2150. Distances further than 100 LY or so were still effectively beyond reach, but Earth's immediate neighbourhood grew, worlds were colonized, and new friends were made among the stars.

This new exploration was nearly cut short before it began thanks to the discovery of Prothean ruins and element zero ("eezo") on Mars in 2148, allowing FTL travel at much lower costs in both energy and material than a standard warp drive, as well as granting access to the newly-discovered mass relay system. An eezo-equipped ship could travel to the other side of the galaxy in a matter of hours using the mass relay network. Hundreds of worlds and a dozen new species and civilizations opened up before the human Systems Alliance. Exposure to eezo also seemed to develop psi abilities, now called "biotics," in affected humans, although teleportation remained rare.

Although few initially believed Commander Shepard's initial reports of the ancient alien Reapers, Shepard's conversation with the Reaper known as Sovereign in 2183 later sent chills down humanity's spine: the Reapers had created the mass relays and mass effect technology, intentionally shaping the direction of civilizations who used it, making them suitable for harvest. Although the Reapers were defeated by Shepard and the united Citadel races in 2186, humanity felt ill-at-ease at having their technological and societal evolution dictated to them by the Reapers. More resources were poured into warp technology, leading to further developments in that arena, and faster and more powerful warp drives, and the launch of an all new Enterprise.

With the mass relay network destroyed, it's uncertain if humanity will ever decide to reinvestigate eezo and reconnect with the Citadel races. Some are wondering if teleportation psi powers will ever be developed further to render the "arms race" of space travel moot.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager
            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

I'm totally grinning like a loon upon reading that post above. I mean ooh yeah, sounds fun, sounds like a great homebrew campaign setting slash story. Humanity says 'screw the paths others choose for yes I'm gonna make my own path!" The mix of standard Trinity, Star Trek, and Mass Effect is brilliant.

Hell, if you wanted you could throw in Stargate - the Alterans were Novas and they built a vast stargate network to travel the stars.

Or maybe even Babylon 5 - while the Reaper influenced domain is one section of the galaxy the other section of the galaxy is home to a different set of First One species. Humanity, as is our luck I guess, lies in the intersection between both, a battleground where both the First Ones and the Reapers consider up for grabs.

--

So yeah, while this all is fantastic I also really like how Trinity is charting its own path (hehe) while also being open enough for the yoinking of certain elements.

Comment

Just a few rules to set the base and you can run Star Trek using TC rules easily.
                If you use Superiors instead of Novas, you can have the Eugenic War taking place in place of Aberrant War.
                The great inventors (Cochrane included) could be Talents that can create Inspired tech based on Nova Powers (warp drive for example).
                Psiads may be common among other races (Vulcans and Betazoids, for example) usually running around one or 2 modes.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

And don't forget, it's the Trinity Continuum, a spread of alternate timelines. If you want to do something like what IanWatson has described, just say that it's an alternate timeline.

Comment

IanWatson this is amazing!!! Thank you 😊. Imma show my friend what you said.

Everyone else: thanks. This stuff is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                      And don't forget, it's the Trinity Continuum, a spread of alternate timelines. If you want to do something like what IanWatson has described, just say that it's an alternate timeline.
                      Ok, what Ian described is probably Prime universe and all the others split from that by something not happening, it includes StarTrek, Aeon and Mass Effect.

Comment

I told my friend what you guys said and he loved it. We both thought @IanWatson’s outline was really cool, especially if you replace the Organians with the Doyen and make them a lot less benevolent and a lot more cold and ruthless like the Doyen in Aeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Ok, what Ian described is probably Prime universe and all the others split from that by something not happening, it includes StarTrek, Aeon and Mass Effect.
                          Or there is no real "Prime Universe" and they're all equally valid. Hell you could presumably toss in Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who if you wanted.

"Oh, shit, it's Darth Vader and Number 6 with a bunch of Dalek Stormtroopers. We best break out the big guns, now! Quadris Mal, looks like you're up."

Comment

The idea of Prime is a bit annoying but there is always that group that call themselves as the ones from Prime.

I like your ideas... Quantum Powered Dalek Stormtroopers fighting Time Lord Talents and Psionic Jedi

Comment

The idea of Prime is a bit annoying but there is always that group that call themselves as the ones from Prime.
                              From a Stargate-style setting I played in a long time ago: “So, what world are you from?” “Earth.” beat. “OK; which Earth?” (It was at this point the player characters learned that nearly every species' homeworld is called “Earth”, or some variation thereof.)

Same deal here: everyone considers their native timeline to be the “Prime timeline”.

I like your ideas... Quantum Powered Dalek Stormtroopers fighting Time Lord Talents and Psionic Jedi
                              Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                              X