Hardtech FTL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtech FTL?

So, is there any example of Hardtech FTL in the setting, either from Nova's or Aliens? It seems at this point that FTL is restricted either to psychic powers (leviathan/teleporters) or novas with Warp.

Novas created Nova and Q tech using Warp, that is basically a Hyperdrive, as it takes time to travel and don’t use real space to travel.

Warp Speed (like StarTrek Warp) have no equivalent in Nova powers, as they still obey at this basic law of physics, but it’s still FTL travel.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
      It seems at this point that FTL is restricted either to psychic powers (leviathan/teleporters) or novas with Warp.
      That is exactly an underlying assumption of the setting.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I actually like that assumption about Aeon. Distinguishes it from more conventional sci-fi settings.

My friend was really into the idea of combining Star Trek and Aeon, but if I did that at all it would be an alternate universe. The main Aeon timeline has its own unique flavor and I wouldn’t want to compromise that.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          Novas created Nova and Q tech using Warp, that is basically a Hyperdrive, as it takes time to travel and don’t use real space to travel.

Warp Speed (like StarTrek Warp) have no equivalent in Nova powers, as they still obey at this basic law of physics, but it’s still FTL travel.

So we could use the same process that takes nova tech and eventually makes it conventional tech for their warp? Go from Quantum tech, to nova Tech, to conventional tech. (Granted, that'd probably take a long, long time.).

Comment

@NewK probably several centuries at least

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
              So we could use the same process that takes nova tech and eventually makes it conventional tech for their warp? Go from Quantum tech, to nova Tech, to conventional tech. (Granted, that'd probably take a long, long time.).
              It could be done, yes. It would still be FTL based off Quantum powers, just like the Leviathan is teleportation tech based of psionic powers.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

It could be done, yes. It would still be FTL based off Quantum powers, just like the Leviathan is teleportation tech based of psionic powers.
                Makes sense, but generated a few questions not related to FTL drives.

Is Hyperfusion and Gravcrystals considered Based on Quantum powers? Both were invented by novas, and sure it’s not Natural, but after some time it just became “regular” (common and nobody think it’s corrupted, as they think about other novatech).

Also, the Coalition ship has artificial gravity (I suppose), is it made with Gravcrystals or is it a complete different tech, and is it considered based on quantum powers even without “novas” in their races?

Comment

Mateus Luz maybe the Coalition space ark doesn’t have artificial gravity, or at least it’s not powered by Gravcrystals. I don’t think any of the Coalition races (except maybe a few of the Progenitors?) have access to quantum powers or novatech.

Comment

They were naturally Psionics, but they removed this from their DNA to avoid becoming a hive mind (as a part of their society did).

But yes, that is exactly the point. If they have gravity (and by the arts I would say yes), it can be caused by the constant acceleration (what should make their ships 70km tall, not long) or by an artificial gravity device (similar to Gravcrystals).

As I see, once it’s core tech / advanced super science, it stops being powered by quantum/psi and start to be part of the way Reality works. It still use quantum or psi, but it’s not properly a quantum power it’s like an exploit of reality rules.

Comment

Mateus Luz hmmm, good point. Maybe one of the member races of the Coalition thousands of years ago invented a novatech device similar to Gravcrystals? A device that allowed the Coalition space arks to use artificial gravity without being several dozen miles tall.

Comment

Cool discussion!

In defense of Joe Hologram: the space programs of Earth had invented well, space travel IRL and in Aeon without the help of any superhumans (presumably) and so I'd be interested to see what impact the Unity Age has on conventional technologies.

For instance, what would Orgotek's Lumen Division do with the designs of a solar sail ship? How would space age tech influence plans and designs that we have, irl, right now?

Would someone have tried to put together a ship resembling The Orion Project? (Controlled nuclear explosions for propulsion, short explanation).

Would the baseline scientists observing a Upeo using the Warp mode be able to extrapolate the math for a working Alcubierre drive...?

Also, what the hell are the Qin up to...? I could see them engaging in secret tests with a "gravity drive" similar to SW: NJO's Yuuzhan Vong...

Comment

Keep in mind the difference between core-tech, nova-tech, and Q-tech.

Eufiber, for example, is the foundation of the OpNet. It's definitely core-tech. Gravcrystals' origin hasn't been specified, only that they're "nova age technology" developed in 2043. They may have been developed by a nova, but they're still core-tech. They probably would have been invented sooner or later, even without novas. Piezoelectric materials (which include some crystals!) are materials which translate mechanical stress into electrical charge. I imagine grav crystals are similar, but instead translate an electrical charge into a graviton field.

Æon's Science & Technology division mostly cares about sweeping up Q-tech and nova-tech. Sometimes they'll grab core-tech if they know a nova was involved, just in case, but for stuff like eufiber and grav crystals, they're too ubiquitous, and that ubiquity almost certainly would have shown a problem in the last ~80-100 years if there was one.

Ian A. A. Watson
                          Onyx Path Community Manager
                          Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

I can't quote page number but I've been reading through my print copy of Distant Worlds and it mentions the Qin having Biotech Grav Crystals.
                            Granted the could have developed them since contact with humans, but I feel like, since they colonized worlds via sub-light travel more than 10,000 years ago, the probably had grav crystals. Even at 99% light speed, traveling 58 light years, they would experience ~25 years time. 25 years is a LONG time to be in microgravity. Hell, 6 months is a long time to be in microgravity.
                            Even their closest colony, at 3.5 light years, would take a little over 4 years real time, and over a year and a half relative time on ship.

Comment

IanWatson good point

Tritoninvestigator very cool post. Just wish I knew more about astrophysics so I could respond more intelligently.

Comment

Working...
                              X