Hardtech FTL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Specifically, TC:Aberrant will be including rules for “reverse engineering” Nova-Tech, such that given enough time and effort an innovation created by a Nova can eventually be turned into something that's mass-produced and a ubiquitous part of society that for all practical purposes has nothing to do with Novas anymore.

And yes, I could see Hard-tech FTL being developed in this manner: it started out as Q-Tech, but it's now available to anyone with the time and resources to build it.
    I think the closest anyone should get would be a prototype of some sort. You don't really want Trinity turning into Star Trek/Star Wars. But maybe somebody does build a prototype and... something goes wrong. And then you run Event Horizon in Trinity.

Comment

I'll grant that the reverse-engineered stuff isn't as effective as the original; and as such, the version of Hard-tech FTL that you get from reverse engineering Quantum FTL won't be as good (e.g., not as fast). I could see Hard-tech FTL being the poor man's FTL: it will get you to other star systems much faster than STL will, but it's slow enough that given a choice between that or having a psi or Nova transport you, you'll end up choosing the latter every time.

So no, not Trinity turning into Star Trek or Star Wars; but not a monopoly on FTL by the teleporters either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        I'll grant that the reverse-engineered stuff isn't as effective as the original; and as such, the version of Hard-tech FTL that you get from reverse engineering Quantum FTL won't be as good (e.g., not as fast). I could see Hard-tech FTL being the poor man's FTL: it will get you to other star systems much faster than STL will, but it's slow enough that given a choice between that or having a psi or Nova transport you, you'll end up choosing the latter every time.

So no, not Trinity turning into Star Trek or Star Wars; but not a monopoly on FTL by the teleporters either.
        Figure if you want to get somewhere quickly and safely, you'll use a Nova or a Psi. If you want to get somewhere quickly or safely you use a high-end hardtech FTL. If you want to get there cheaply (and possibly not at all) you go with low-end FTL and we run Trinity Event Horizon.

Comment

The above and maybe if you want to get between two highly visited locations along a path that has been trod a thousand times and so has little left unknown then you can use low-end FTL. The trade ships between planet a and planet b in systems that have been traveled for decades to centuries can make use of this tech with little difficulty. BUT, if one wants to go to planet c in another system then one should get a psion or a nova.

Comment

Working...
          X