Sterility - Aberrant 1E vs 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterility - Aberrant 1E vs 2E

So in the Aberrant 1E core, it was made clear that a little known secret was that Utopia was sterilizing Novas. I was just reading through the backer manuscript for Aberrant 2E and I don't see a mention of that. Was it dropped or am I just blind?

It was dropped. They wanted a more good guy Aeon (and Utopia is basically Aeon) and so they removed that whole subplot. All the better in my opinion as it literally made no sense - all it would take was a few Novas with Mega-Intelligence to find it and Mega-Stamina to defeat it and the whole plan goes out the window. So yeah, it was removed wholescale.

Now low nova births is more a natural thing rather than an act of tampering.

Comment

I always thought it was a little ridiculous. But I want sure if it was still there. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by widdershawns View Post
        I always thought it was a little ridiculous. But I want sure if it was still there. Thanks!
        It can still be brought in though, IF one wanted.
        Just don't use it as a "Whole World" plot and instead target singular novas and just to mess with the players or the game world in general... talents/superiors/whathaveyou.
        The justification would certainly be there to literally neuter dangerous Novas permanently.
        And someone would be stupid, selfish, short-sighted, amoral or envious enough, alternatively he might plainly think that he can get away with it.

Most would NEVER suspect something wrong.
        Hire the right people, craft the right thingy and even Mega-Stamina should be most of the time shit out of luck, if not almost always.
        To bad that such a plot includes a lot of failure options, namely a lot of people that can talk, like potentially Novas/Talents/Superiors who worked on the biological agent.
        Other disgruntled workers might come out of the woodworks and so on, not to mention that different factions, within and without, might have axes to grind.

So yeah, risky plot... the only potential reward is revenge for anyone who initiates it or the satisfaction to crush a life.
        The moment that get's out though? Some very motivated Nova or multiple of them might be out for blood.

Still, people are idiots.
        And all to often they don't look to far ahead and sacrifice basically anything for short term gains.
        Sad, but true. Throw in tangible benefits to mess with their decision making and it get's even worse.
        Money, Fame, Status or greater Status... that one is particular insidious. The approval of someone they want to impress.
        It's ridiculous how easy it is to push the buttons of people.
        Add in Novas with social and intelligence powers? If they wanted too, they could craft a plot to sterilize other novas.
        Hell, Superiors or Talents could come up with that and could be successfull with it.
        Although given the opposition they'd better be on their toes.

And they'd could have good reason too, at least in their minds.
        Along the lines of: The Novas are dangerous, they will go bonkers, they aren't human anymore or less human... and so on.
        Just keep in mind that (almost) nobody thinks of himselfs as evil. And with such a mindset going around? Justifications for basically anything come pretty easily.

Comment

REALLY happy they got rid of that plot line.

Bhurano Dr. Bhurano I presume? 😊

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

In an earlier thread on the topic of Nova fertility, I noted that you don't need a global sterilization conspiracy to interfere with Nova reproduction, when the Aeon book specifically notes Quantum Flux Zones can drastically reduce fertility. It is entirely reasonable to assume many Novas - and all high transcendence ones - have varying degrees of difficulty having children due to stewing in their own energies.

Comment

Shepherdboi good point

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                In an earlier thread on the topic of Nova fertility, I noted that you don't need a global sterilization conspiracy to interfere with Nova reproduction, when the Aeon book specifically notes Quantum Flux Zones can drastically reduce fertility. It is entirely reasonable to assume many Novas - and all high transcendence ones - have varying degrees of difficulty having children due to stewing in their own energies.
                That also makes for excellent cover for somebody who is fucking with Nova fertility.

Comment

Wait....
                  There is an Abberant 2nd e?

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Markoko View Post
                    Wait....
                    There is an Abberant 2nd e?
                    The Trinity Continuum: Aberrant Kickstarter was running this time last year. It's still available for preorder on BackerKit.

Ian A. A. Watson
                    Onyx Path Community Manager
                    Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Project Proteus probably has tossed around plans for a sterility program as part of its Medusa Protocols, although there isn't anything currently in place. Likely it was dismissed for exactly the reasons mentioned above: too easy for novas to find out it's happening, and nova physiology is mostly taking care of that by itself.

Of course, if someone were to gain access to the Medusa Protocols and leak that information, people aren't going to discriminate. "Utopia has plans to sterilize novas" is close enough to "Utopia is currently sterilizing novas" to cause strife in the quantum-using populace.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

johntfs IanWatson both excellent points. This gives me a couple good ideas for running an Aberrant 2e game once the final book comes out.

Comment

Yeah, as I understand it, one of the possible main 'inciting incidents' for the Aberrant War now is someone coming across the "Batman has a plan to defeat every member of the Justice League" style plans of the Medusa Protocols and taking them as actual, to be executed in the near future plans.

Which is a lot less stupid than "somehow secretly sterilizing every nova without them ever finding out".

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Now low nova births is more a natural thing rather than an act of tampering.
                            is that confirmed? I thought they just weren’t saying anything about Nova reproduction

it was my table canon, with Nova fertility being the same as baseline RELATIVE TO LIFE EXPECTANCY, so Novas living much longer tend to successfully conceive far less often. But 10 years after N-Day this isn’t understood yet and there are (FALSE!) conspiracy theories about sterilization.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
                              Yeah, as I understand it, one of the possible main 'inciting incidents' for the Aberrant War now is someone coming across the "Batman has a plan to defeat every member of the Justice League" style plans of the Medusa Protocols and taking them as actual, to be executed in the near future plans.

Which is a lot less stupid than "somehow secretly sterilizing every nova without them ever finding out".
                              I really like this intrlerpretation.

Comment

Working...
                              X