Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

I really like this intrlerpretation.
    It does work pretty well. Because when a Nova hears of this and does something outrageous, well... Proteus is likely to Medusa Protocol them. Which then proves the conspiracy to wipe out all novas is TRUEEEEE!!!... at least, to Novas already worried about anti-Nova feeling.

Comment

Aliasi a self-fulfilling prophecy

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

REALLY happy they got rid of that plot line.
        Yeah, the worldwide plot was a bit ambitious, at least without introducing mitigating factors.
        It also brought Proteus (and by extension Utopia/Aeon) no gain, but a lot of pain in the end.

Bhurano Dr. Bhurano I presume? 😊
        Yupp, I really, really, really like that character.
        The doc was caught between everyone and thrown to the wolves.
        A shame. So much potential, but the Doyen had to cover their tracks after all. Such Bastards.
        Too bad that the Proxies fell for it though and eliminated the entire order without thinking straight.

Love how the order is handled in 2e though, potentially playable right off the bat and the chamber
        is not lost. Anyway, it was a strong start for the psionic line of Trinity.

Now there's only the Aberrant relaunch which I'm awaiting with anticipation.
        But this one looks to be shaping up strong already.
        And then it's mix and match all day... already have a game going where Talents, Superiors and both kinds of Psionics are running around.
        Throwing in a Nova would hardly make a difference. ^^

I would also love to see a book for Trinity Aeon where the Proxies get some more love, some more characterization... or that happens in the continental/regional books.
        Ah, one can dream.

Comment

Honestly, the thing that bugs me about the “Nova Sterilization Plot” is that...it really doesn’t solve the actual problem of “Divis Mal randomly deciding to wipe your nation off the map.”

As I understand it, the point of the sterilization plot was 1) to prevent the rate of Nova progression from becoming geometric, 2) to prevent Novas from outbreeding baselines and rendering the rest of humanity obsolete and 3) to prevent two powerful Novas from having a “Superbaby” that would basically be a god.

3) is kind of pointless, since Divis Mal has already demonstrated that Novas can become gods without being born to it. 1) is kind of pointless, since there’s already enough Novas out there to destroy the world. And, if the Novas did destroy the rest of us, rendering them sterile for reason 2 is basically cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Basically it just doesn’t make sense to me as a plot to do anything but get the Novas mad and trigger a war. Which...ok, there’s probably some Terrats out there who would love to have a cause and a rallying cry to bring the other Novas behind them in their war on the baselines, but my understanding was that it was presented as a serious plan that was being carried out by the Aeon society, and that just...doesn’t make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhurano View Post

Yeah, the worldwide plot was a bit ambitious, at least without introducing mitigating factors.
            It also brought Proteus (and by extension Utopia/Aeon) no gain, but a lot of pain in the end.

Yupp, I really, really, really like that character.
            The doc was caught between everyone and thrown to the wolves.
            A shame. So much potential, but the Doyen had to cover their tracks after all. Such Bastards.
            Too bad that the Proxies fell for it though and eliminated the entire order without thinking straight.

Love how the order is handled in 2e though, potentially playable right off the bat and the chamber
            is not lost. Anyway, it was a strong start for the psionic line of Trinity.

Now there's only the Aberrant relaunch which I'm awaiting with anticipation.
            But this one looks to be shaping up strong already.
            And then it's mix and match all day... already have a game going where Talents, Superiors and both kinds of Psionics are running around.
            Throwing in a Nova would hardly make a difference. ^^

I would also love to see a book for Trinity Aeon where the Proxies get some more love, some more characterization... or that happens in the continental/regional books.
            Ah, one can dream.
            Totally agree!!! 😊😊😊

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Basically it just doesn’t make sense to me as a plot to do anything but get the Novas mad and trigger a war. Which...ok, there’s probably some Terrats out there who would love to have a cause and a rallying cry to bring the other Novas behind them in their war on the baselines, but my understanding was that it was presented as a serious plan that was being carried out by the Aeon society, and that just...doesn’t make sense to me.
              Setting aside the previous need to create a catalyst for the Aberrant War which led to Trinity’s setting, the sterilization plot seems nonsensical until you look at the perpetrators of it.

Director Thetis of the original setting is a classic racist in a position of power. She has the same mindset as the slaveowners of the deep south before the Civil War; she’d never admit in public to be such a racist person and would vehemently deny any such accusation. And yet, in the same breath she can talk about how all these novas need to be “channeled” to positive ends (as if that’s impossible for them on their own), “guided” to a moral outlook (as if they could never have such by themselves), “re-educated” on how to function in society (as if society wasn’t already adapting to them), and above all punished when they “step out of line” (refuse to be subordinate to human overseers).

It is her influence that has novas locked into chemical addiction via the drugs Utopia supplied and she used that addiction to force them into labor camps (not unlike plantations) where humanity would benefit from the cheap labor of novakind shackled to large-scale work projects. And those work projects taxed their quantum reserves so much they’d need MORE drugs, which then creates a vicious cycle of overuse that leads to novas becoming uncontrollably insane and mutated. She would then use this cycle SHE created as a justification in her mind that all novas are nothing but dangerous monsters in the making, and absolve herself of guilt.

Laragione fought her every step of the way, but he was limited in what he could do by the fact that a few of the Aeon council agreed with Thetis and shared her outlook. Thanks to that incumbent power structure, she kept getting funding, was always supported, and continued to sew the seeds of destruction with her racist idiocy.

So yes, it IS irrational, illogical, and stupid as all hell, but it does make a sick sort of sense why they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                Setting aside the previous need to create a catalyst for the Aberrant War which led to Trinity’s setting, the sterilization plot seems nonsensical until you look at the perpetrators of it.

Director Thetis of the original setting is a classic racist in a position of power. She has the same mindset as the slaveowners of the deep south before the Civil War; she’d never admit in public to be such a racist person and would vehemently deny any such accusation. And yet, in the same breath she can talk about how all these novas need to be “channeled” to positive ends (as if that’s impossible for them on their own), “guided” to a moral outlook (as if they could never have such by themselves), “re-educated” on how to function in society (as if society wasn’t already adapting to them), and above all punished when they “step out of line” (refuse to be subordinate to human overseers).

It is her influence that has novas locked into chemical addiction via the drugs Utopia supplied and she used that addiction to force them into labor camps (not unlike plantations) where humanity would benefit from the cheap labor of novakind shackled to large-scale work projects. And those work projects taxed their quantum reserves so much they’d need MORE drugs, which then creates a vicious cycle of overuse that leads to novas becoming uncontrollably insane and mutated. She would then use this cycle SHE created as a justification in her mind that all novas are nothing but dangerous monsters in the making, and absolve herself of guilt.

Laragione fought her every step of the way, but he was limited in what he could do by the fact that a few of the Aeon council agreed with Thetis and shared her outlook. Thanks to that incumbent power structure, she kept getting funding, was always supported, and continued to sew the seeds of destruction with her racist idiocy.

So yes, it IS irrational, illogical, and stupid as all hell, but it does make a sick sort of sense why they did it.
                But they got rid of all this in Aberrant 2e, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  Honestly, the thing that bugs me about the “Nova Sterilization Plot” is that...it really doesn’t solve the actual problem of “Divis Mal randomly deciding to wipe your nation off the map.”

As I understand it, the point of the sterilization plot was 1) to prevent the rate of Nova progression from becoming geometric, 2) to prevent Novas from outbreeding baselines and rendering the rest of humanity obsolete and 3) to prevent two powerful Novas from having a “Superbaby” that would basically be a god.

3) is kind of pointless, since Divis Mal has already demonstrated that Novas can become gods without being born to it. 1) is kind of pointless, since there’s already enough Novas out there to destroy the world. And, if the Novas did destroy the rest of us, rendering them sterile for reason 2 is basically cutting off our nose to spite our face.
                  What I think it's meant to do is, like various measures against COVID-19, was to 'flatten the curve' and kick the can down the road so that it takes longer before some sort of critical threshold is reached, and a confrontation / inciting event is forced, giving humanity a chance to come up with a more lasting solution. It's not *the* solution, it's just a stopgap to slow the rush of water through the dam, to 'get ahead of the problem,' and, as Captain America says about trying to win a fight before it happens, these things just always go horribly wrong.

And I love that the existence of discussions about how to implement such a thing could serve to set off conspiracy theorists if (when!) it's discovered and prompt the exact sort of conflict that the plan was prepared in case of, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. By planning for the worst, they are helping to make it a reality! Even if it's cold stone fact that Novas have limited fertility naturally, only a fraction of Novas are super-intelligent, and those aren't 100% correlations with those who are super-influential, so it's entirely possible that some loud-mouthed popular Nova is going to get ahold of this information, and say that it's all a conspiracy, that, *of course* Novas have trouble having babies, look at this paper I found on how to sterilize us? Sure, this document says that they haven't implemented such a scheme, but it's dated two years ago! What if they started 1 year and 11 months ago? What if the author of this paper didn't have the clearance to know that these ideas *had* been implemented? Who are you going to believe, the writer of this document, or the clear and established fact that we can't have kids? (capitalize random words and add lots of exclamation points, maybe drip some spittle on the page...)

Oh yeah. It's a time bomb.

Comment

But they got rid of all this in Aberrant 2e, right?
                    Yes, they did. And it's glorious.

Comment

Awesome 😊😊😊

Comment

Working...
                      X