Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maximum amount of enhancements on each roll?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum amount of enhancements on each roll?

I am used to Scion where the highest possible stacking of enhancements you can get from mundane sources is +3e and +5e from supernatural sources. But when sitting down to toy around with Trinity Core I'm not quite sure where there is mentioned an upper limit. I assume it is +5e?

I was playing around with creating characters and made a sniper with all the Sniper Edges, Lightning Calculator and the Specialty Science: Ballistics. I haven't even gotten to Skill Tricks yet but I would almost go so far as to say that this character could probably get at least +5e on every single roll to shoot something at long distances with a sniper rifle and some time to aim, which is about equal to +15 dice, which is nuts in my opinion. The character would be no slouch with other firearms either. What do the rules say about this? And how do you go about this?

Well, the Trinity Core book on page 71 has a table that lists single source enhancements including a line that says "5+", and nothing I can find says there's an upper limit nor that different sources don't stack.

Also when we get into Aberrant and start having upward of 4 step Scale differences which would grant 8 enhancement by itself, it seems that for Trinity there isn't an upper limit.

Comment

In TC there is no official maximum enhancement. In Aberrant Manuscript they say the maximum is 5e except for Scale.
      I limit enhancements to the lowest of 5e or the highest individual enhancement +2, not counting scale, as Scale is basically above all that. The only way to go above 5e is if there is one individual enhancement above 5e.
      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-05-2020, 02:55 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I've been running Aeon without a cap on enhancements. The only place it's been a problem is with a Biokinetic who has min-maxed his Defense and soft armor. However, there are plenty of ways to build up enough enhancements for an antagonist to injure him. Conversely, their antagonists can easily have a defense of 7 or higher. A cap of 5 enhancements makes anything that tough incredibly difficult to beat.
        Last edited by Florin; 08-05-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I feel like this is where some kind of Storyteller’s Guide would be useful, to help unpack how Enhancement and Complications affect things, how to set things up to “fail forward,” how often you should roll, and just how to really understand the game’s engine.

Comment

If Enhancement maxes out at 5e, that means since each new dot you put into a Mode grants a cumulative +1 Enhancement to lower level powers, a Psion who buys their level 7 power doesn't increase their level 1 power to +6 Enhancement.

It also means the various level 6 powers - which can grant +2 Enhancement to lower level powers - flat out don't provide that benefit to the lowest level powers. By that point, the level 1 power is already at max Enhancement while the level 2 power can only gain another +1 Enhancement. Once you buy the level 7 power, the level 1 and 2 powers are at max Enhancement while the level 3 power can only gain another +1 Enhancement.

It also means the Favored Mode Edge can eventually become redundant for low level powers for the same reason.

It also makes multiple Psions combining their Aptitudes less useful for Vitakinetics, since they provide the gestalt with Enhancement equal to their Psi trait to powers used on living creatures.

Comment

As I said, you still get a higher enhancement if it comes from an unique enhancement, in the Psion power cases, all that enhancements come from the same place, the Psion powers.

But, I also allow the Psion to exchange enhancements by scale when activating the power (reducing the enhancement by 3 to increase Scale by 1). That make a PK for example capable of dealing some damage to a Terat Aberrant without heavy weapons, for example, lacking precision, but not being ignored by the aberrant overwhelming scale. This scale increase works only on attack and defensive powers (in the last case, reducing the Soft armor by 3 to increase its scale by 1), not on shape change or mind control for example.

This allow the gestalt to increase the scale even more than a single Psion, what is even better to fight Aberrants (also allow you to make a Aberrants as powerful as Novas, what don’t happen with the Rules to set Aberrants as antagonists in Aeon).
              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-05-2020, 07:47 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
              X