Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to experience

Hi guys,

Sometime ago I was playing Blades in The Dark, and the system they use to evolve a character is pretty interesting, instead of gaining general experience for completing adventures or killing monsters, the character gains experience points on specific characteristics when they use the characteristic in a risky situation. The idea is, each characteristic has a Clock divided in a certain number of parts that are filled on certain situations and when the clock is complete, the characteristic increases. I have been thinking how to explore it in Storypath.

My first idea was spending successes to gain beats to the related attribute or skill, but to be honest it would make it easier to gain dots when you have already many dots.

Than I had this idea of grant beats this as a consolation after reading some discussions on using Momentum in CoD. Whenever a character would gain a momentum, they also gain a beat in the skill or attribute related to the roll.

Paths dots would require aspirations related to each path (as it grants many advantages at same time), and when completing it would grant a beat to that path.

The last issue for mundane characters would be a new Edge, as they are binary (you have or you don’t) and not all of them are “trainable”. Probably I would use aspirations to that too. For example, to get 1 dot in Wealth you need to complete a few aspirations related to it, like gaining a reasonable amount of money, robing a bank, whatever fits the character.

Power are related to the power use.
    Mode and Psi beats would be gained when failing mode rolls, as happens to skills and attributes and skills.
    Nova traits would gain beats when maxed out (I love the idea of maxing out to evolve).
    Gifts and Facets are a bit tricky, because they are unconscious characteristics, probably I would give beats to be used with Gift and facets by inspiration use.

Impressions, Ideas and Suggestions?

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

The number of beats needed to gain a dots (or what ever is the measure) would be the same as the number of experience, at least it would be where I would start.

While a character would gain more experience, it would be split between several characteristics, so the time to evolve would be longer. Also the player would have a little less capacity of chosing where he wants to evolve.

Aspirations would be the way to gain what you want often, Paths granting skill and edges that the connections can teach, for example.

Another option I would add to add some depth to the character life other than adventures is an Downtime Aspiration, lets say, I will train for a couple weeks with my fellows in the Amazon to gain a beat in the survivalist path, or going to do an intensive course of self defense to gain Precise Martial arts Edge beat.

Adding an Down Time project could be also interesting, with a long action that, when complete will grant an result (edge dots, for example Artifact or Wealth), but failing would grant some beats, as you have learned something new.

It's a lot of options, I am having fan with this ideas... maybe they solidify on something interesting.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
    X