Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeon: Reconciling 1st Edition Lore with 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aeon: Reconciling 1st Edition Lore with 2nd Edition

    So I'm curious what your take on this is as this is the first time I've seen this in any ANY TTRPG hopping editions.

    I'm reading through the TC: Aeon book, and while I absolutely love the Psi and Modes mechanics in this edition, I'm noticing some pretty important changes to the lore, notably where the orders are concerned.

    Case in point - The Aesculapian Order:

    1st Edition: Zweidler assisted in founding the Montressor Clinic in 2086 (which he took over in 2088), which then later became the Aesculapian Order when psions became a thing in the early 22nd century. Zweidler is fairly insular and somewhat selfish in that he cares only about his pet projects and strongly dislikes managing anything, and hence leaves all that in the hands of individuals like Monaghan, Delemont, and Beitz ... the latter who is at the head of the infamous Huang-Marr consipiracy, a MAJOR story arc in 1st Ed. He barely tolerates the spiritualist branch of the order as he is a cold man of science, but accepts they are doing good and so let's it slide despite his frequent arguments with the head of the Port au Prince clinic.

    2nd Edition: Aesculapian Order founded right after the Aberrant War, which Zweidler takes over in 2086. Deeply passionate and an experienced emergency room physician (as opposed to a medical researcher and specialized surgeon).No mention at all of the Huang-Marr conspiracy or ANY of the management figures listed in Shattered Europe. Zweidler's second in command is Magalie Alcine, a bit of a spiritualist type that never existed at all until 2nd Ed, and to whom old Zweidler would likely not have given much power unless she totally renounced traditional folk medicine and moved to Basil.

    The problem here, and the part that REALLY bothers me, is that many of these changes are pretty much invalidating all the 1st Ed sourcebooks I own, with the massive wealth of information and lore available in them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and loves the old sourcebooks, either in dead tree or PDF format. I don't actually know why Onyx Path chose to change the lore and history from 1st Edition, especially given the trove of information, including online, available to them to work with.

    So say you're GMing a game of 2nd Ed TC:Aeon, how do you handle this? Do you just ignore the new lore and keep using the old one (problematic if you have players who've only been exposed to 2nd Ed)? Do you just use the new lore and discard anything not found or hinted at in the new edition (including the amazing three book Darkness Revealed adventures)? Or do you do a mix of both by using the new lore, but using stuff from the old books to fill in the gaps?

  • #2
    Quick note, cuz I'm at work. It's not first edition and second edition. It's Trinity versus Trinity Continuum Æon. That is, don't think of it as two editions of the same game, think of it as two separate games. If you must think of them as the same game, think of it as a reboot or reimagine. Either way, the Trinity Universe material from the 2000s informs but does not define what the Trinity Continuum material does.


    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have a strong connection to 1st edition lore. So I've just been running it with the 2nd edition lore. However, if you want to run it as 1st edition, just make sure your players are on the same page as you. There's nothing in the mechanics which should interfere with that.

      Comment


      • #4
        My approach is ignore 1e timeline and use 1e material as inspiration to new stories, but that is my approach. I want to adapt some 1e stuff to my future Aeon era chronicles, and check the 1e books for ideas often, but I don’t use them as references, just as ideas.

        Following the 1e timeline and supplements is a very interesting way too, the setting in 1e has a depth that TC didn’t reach yet, as a new line. Darkness Revealed is a masterpiece for sure, and worth being played again and again. Also you can use many of the hooks left behind in the end of the line, like Project 418.
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 09-03-2020, 07:28 PM.


        House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KarlB View Post
          So I'm curious what your take on this is as this is the first time I've seen this in any ANY TTRPG hopping editions.
          It's not the first time. Even within the Trinity Universe, the 2004 d20 editions changed some of the lore. And hell, hop over to Scion and you can see a dramatic difference between 1e and 2e: they don't even call the Pantheons the same things anymore.

          I will point out something, though: although fans have taken to calling the originals "1st Edition" and the new books "2nd Edition," I never use those terms. 2nd Edition does not appear anywhere on or in the books. They're not simply a rule refresh, they're a new take on the original setting. More like when Sony reboots the Spider-Man franchise than a just a movie sequel. Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't just Amazing Spider-Man 3 with Tom Holland recast as Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, it was a new take on the Spider-Man story.

          This is Trinity Continuum: Æon, not "Trinity 2nd Edition."

          The problem here, and the part that REALLY bothers me, is that many of these changes are pretty much invalidating all the 1st Ed sourcebooks I own, with the massive wealth of information and lore available in them.
          As the Trinity Continuum core rulebook points out, this is a continuum of branching timelines and parallel universes. Everything you want to put in your games -- including using the 1e setting -- is just as canonical as what we're doing, we're just focusing on a different timeline. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from using the setting from the 1e sourcebooks if that's what you want to do, but that's not the story we're telling right now.

          And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and loves the old sourcebooks, either in dead tree or PDF format.
          Cool. So do I. I wouldn't be doing this job if I didn't have a deep love and knowledge of those books.

          But those books are over 20 years old right now. The final published Trinity book was in December 2001. Trinity 1e's rulebook went from conception to publication within about 9 months to fill a gap in the production schedule, and then a separate superhero pitch Rob Hatch had made was bolted on as Aberrant. The old WW crew did a fantastic job given those constraints, to be sure, but there are things they didn't get right, and changes we want to make with the benefit of those extra 20 years. Keeping beholden to the 1e version of events would be more of a hindrance to us now. They're an excellent jumping-off point, but again, that's not the story we're telling this time.

          The original books already exist and are widely available. We don't need to reprint them. We're doing something different.


          Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager
          Trinity Continuum Content Lead

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the feedback! It hadn't actually clicked that you were working with the divergent timeline theme. I'm okay with that.

            Note: while I questioned the whole change in lore element, I absolutely DO love the changes to the mechanics and all the different Aptitudes and Modes. Psionic powers now are way cooler and more flavorful than before, so thank you for that!

            So given the change in lore, are there plans to release new geographic and/or psi order sourcebooks like editions of old? I'm actually curious to see how the new lore will become fleshed out over time.

            Comment


            • #7
              They are working on a supplement called Prometheus Unbound which will deal with the Psi Orders. There is also a book called Terra Firma which will detail Earth. (Basically, go here: http://theonyxpath.com/schedule/ and scroll down to the AEON section to see what they've got going.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                My approach is ignore 1e timeline and use 1e material as inspiration to new stories, but that is my approach. I want to adapt some 1e stuff to my future Aeon era chronicles, and check the 1e books for ideas often, but I don’t use them as references, just as ideas.

                Following the 1e timeline and supplements is a very interesting way too, the setting in 1e has a depth that 2e didn’t reach yet as a new line. Darkness Revealed is a masterpiece for sure, and worth being played again and again. Also you can use many of the hooks left behind in the end of the line, like Project 418.
                I don’t know that much about the original Trinity game but this discussion is defo fascinating.

                IanWatson thanks for explaining.


                The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Penelope View Post

                  I don’t know that much about the original Trinity game but this discussion is defo fascinating.

                  IanWatson thanks for explaining.
                  Was my favorite sci-fi rpg ever. I was pretty bummed when I never saw anything new and decent come out (ugh, D20), so when I saw OP make their own version using something similar to the Storyteller system I already knew well (TC is my first Storypath game), I had to hit that. Storypath is a bit complex, but once you get it, it's really interesting.

                  But yeah, great great setting and lore. Reason why I love it so much. Still read the old Order/Region books once in a while.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KarlB View Post

                    Was my favorite sci-fi rpg ever. I was pretty bummed when I never saw anything new and decent come out (ugh, D20), so when I saw OP make their own version using something similar to the Storyteller system I already knew well (TC is my first Storypath game), I had to hit that. Storypath is a bit complex, but once you get it, it's really interesting.

                    But yeah, great great setting and lore. Reason why I love it so much. Still read the old Order/Region books once in a while.
                    Cool. I like TC Aeon a lot.


                    The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KarlB View Post
                      So given the change in lore, are there plans to release new geographic and/or psi order sourcebooks like editions of old? I'm actually curious to see how the new lore will become fleshed out over time.
                      Florin covered the upcoming projects page. Every Monday Rich posts a "Monday Meeting Notes" blog post with production updates on all of Onyx Path's current projects. Currently listed there:
                      • First Drafts: Æon: Prometheus Unbound
                      • First Drafts: Æon: Dawn novella
                      • First Drafts: Æon: Meridian novella
                      • Redlines: Trinity Continuum: Anima
                      • Second Drafts: Aberrant: Novas Worldwide
                      • Development: Aberrant: Reference screen
                      • Development: Trinity Continuum: Assassins
                      • Development: Trinity Continuum: Adventure!
                      • Post-Approval Development: Æon: Mission Statements
                      • Editing: Aberrant jumpstart
                      • Editing: Aberrant: N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment
                      • Editing: Æon: Under Alien Suns
                      • Post-Editing Development: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
                      • Art Direction (Kickstarter): Trinity Continuum: Adventure!
                      • In Layout: Trinity Continuum Jumpstart
                      • In Layout: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
                      • Proofing: Æon: Terra Firma
                      If you want a geographical book on extrasolar worlds, Distant Worlds is currently available. If you want one covering Earth, grab Terra Firma. If you want a book on psi orders, look for Prometheus Unbound.


                      Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        and then a separate superhero pitch Rob Hatch had made was bolted on as Aberrant. The old WW crew did a fantastic job given those constraints, to be sure, but there are things they didn't get right, and changes we want to make with the benefit of those extra 20 years.
                        I am madly curious how that pitch looked at first, & what the game might have been if developed seperetly from the Aeon setting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think historically the game was well developed from Aberrant to Trinity. I have to say I love the orginal Aberrant game warts and all. I've been running my game usign those rules off and on before Trinity Continuum was on the horizon. I drew heavily off fan material from EON and rpgpost and it grew organically. I am now preparing to move up to the Aberrant War and I have even started a Trinity: Aeon game based off the Aberrant history I have developed. Despite this I am not moving my Aberrant game to the new version as it won't click well. I'd have to bolt on too many things to make it work.

                          I honestly can't wait until my Trinity PC's meet my other game's nova characters (now all int eh century plus age category). Its bound to be interesting and possibly explosive.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IanWatson View Post


                            But those books are over 20 years old right now. The final published Trinity book was in December 2001. Trinity 1e's rulebook went from conception to publication within about 9 months to fill a gap in the production schedule, and then a separate superhero pitch Rob Hatch had made was bolted on as Aberrant. The old WW crew did a fantastic job given those constraints, to be sure, but there are things they didn't get right, and changes we want to make with the benefit of those extra 20 years. Keeping beholden to the 1e version of events would be more of a hindrance to us now. They're an excellent jumping-off point, but again, that's not the story we're telling this time.
                            I just wish to say: Thank you. Thank you for making me feel so. Very. Old.

                            My personal take on the original setting is there was a little too much focus on conspiracies. I prefer the new version where yes, there are secrets and dangers, but the overall outlook is more optimistic.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NewK View Post

                              I just wish to say: Thank you. Thank you for making me feel so. Very. Old.

                              My personal take on the original setting is there was a little too much focus on conspiracies. I prefer the new version where yes, there are secrets and dangers, but the overall outlook is more optimistic.
                              I’ve read a little of the old version and I prefer the current more optimistic outlook too.


                              The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X